Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default This really should be the easiest decision of Aldridge's life and he's taking his

sweet time.

You want to go play in a dump of a state in Arizona where you have little chance of winning the title, or you want to play in big ol' Texas, your home state, alongside the greatest coach + power forward ever? Make a decision, idiot.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: This really should be the easiest decision of Aldridge's life and he's taking his

At this point he really must be just scared of the expectations/pressure that will come and he obviously has serious issues ever playing center

As I said earlier...any team contending will want to be able to go small with him from time to time...and if he doesn't want to do that....it's a problem

I can't believe Pop even came back for a 2nd meeting...talk about the ultimate sign of respect. Pop isn't doing that in many situations...

Default Re: This really should be the easiest decision of Aldridge's life and he's taking his

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    At this point he really must be just scared of the expectations/pressure that will come and he obviously has serious issues ever playing center

As I said earlier...any team contending will want to be able to go small with him from time to time...and if he doesn't want to do that....it's a problem

I can't believe Pop even came back for a 2nd meeting...talk about the ultimate sign of respect. Pop isn't doing that in many situations...
    Which center in the league today should he reasonably be afraid of? Cousins, Dwight are the only ones that can physically dominate him.

The PF position is deeper than the 5. If anything he should want to play at the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by lilteapot
    Which center in the league today should he reasonably be afraid of? Cousins, Dwight are the only ones that can physically dominate him.

The PF position is deeper than the 5. If anything he should want to play at the 5.
    Team defense/rim protection is the part he's probably shook about.

He should have gone with the spurs on the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    Team defense/rim protection is the part he's probably shook about.
    Well that's going to be one of his responsibilities, no matter if he's playing the 4 or the 5.

It's the banging and rim protection he doesn't like....

And I get that...for anyone that has played ball and doesn't like that...it's not fun, but it's necessary given where the game is going.

I'm just not sold on LMA as much as others. I think this is a home run for the Spurs if they get him, but I also would worry about his efficiency...it's been trending poorly for 3 years now and getting even worse in the playoffs.

If he's not willing to do what a team/coach like Spurs/Pop want him to do...I'd worry even more.

But he doesn't want to play center.

It all depends on what he is favoring. If he wants to be a short term title contender, San Antonio is the answer. If he wants stability, Phoenix, where all the key players are signed long term, is the answer.

To say that it is an "easy decision" is ridiculous. Both San Antonio and Phoenix have plenty to offer him. He can get things with one team that he can't get with the other. In San Antonio he can be home, back in Texas, playing on a successful team with HOF talent and a tremendous head coach. The question is what happens when that talent starts to retire and will that tremendous head coach leave when Duncan does, essentially putting him back in a situation equal or worse to what he had in Portland.

If this was the Spurs of 5 years ago, I'd agree that it should be a no-brainer but now you've got the guys most responsible for their success on the way out the door in a season or two and while its fun to say "well, they'll be okay, they have cap space", San Antonio is still a really small market and isn't known for bringing in big name free agents. They could be looking at some time in the lottery if Duncan, Ginobili and Popovich all happen to leave, hardly the ideal situation for Aldridge, hence I can understand him hesitating.

In Phoenix he doesn't have to play center with Chandler and Len already there. He can play out more on the perimeter and has quality guards to get the ball to him. The backcourt is young with Bledsoe and Knight, they have a good head coach and its an overall respected organization that has one of the best winning percentages in NBA history. In addition, he gets to be "the man", the guy that a team will feature in all their marketing, the franchise player on a playoff roster. He also knows that roster is largely set for a few seasons.

If he ended up winning a title while in Phoenix, they'd basically rename the arena and possibly the city after him, Suns fans are so starved for a championship that Aldridge would have statues built of him across every town in the Valley.

San Antonio is definitely the favorite but Phoenix has closed the gap considerably. Even if they don't get Aldridge, I do think this will help them with recruiting free agents in the future.
    Last edited by PejaNowitzki; 07-04-2015 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    But he doesn't want to play center.

It all depends on what he is favoring. If he wants to be a short term title contender, San Antonio is the answer. If he wants stability, Phoenix, where all the key players are signed long term, is the answer.

To say that it is an "easy decision" is ridiculous. Both San Antonio and Phoenix have plenty to offer him. He can get things with one team that he can't get with the other. In San Antonio he can be home, back in Texas, playing on a successful team with HOF talent and a tremendous head coach. The question is what happens when that talent starts to retire and will that tremendous head coach leave when Duncan does, essentially putting him back in a situation equal or worse to what he had in Portland.

In Phoenix he doesn't have to play center with Chandler and Len already there. He can play out more on the perimeter and has quality guards to get the ball to him. The backcourt is young with Bledsoe and Knight, they have a good head coach and its an overall respected organization that has one of the best winning percentages in NBA history. In addition, he gets to be "the man", the guy that a team will feature in all their marketing, the franchise player on a playoff roster. He also knows that roster is largely set for a few seasons.

If he ended up winning a title while in Phoenix, they'd basically rename the arena and possibly the city after him, Suns fans are so starved for a championship that Aldridge would have statues built of him across every town in the Valley.

San Antonio is definitely the favorite but Phoenix has closed the gap considerably. Even if they don't get Aldridge, I do think this will help them with recruiting free agents in the future.

Short term Spurs? What?

Leonard/Green/LMA alone is an amazing core in this league for years to come.

The Spurs organization is absolutely not a "short term" contender. They've been elite for like 18 years now...and have the players and foundation in place to continue that if LMA signs.

Magic Johnson

Aldridge will end up with the Spurs, Suns, Rockets, or Blazers.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Short term Spurs? What?

Leonard/Green/LMA alone is an amazing core in this league for years to come.

The Spurs organization is absolutely not a "short term" contender. They've been elite for like 18 years now...and have the players and foundation in place to continue that if LMA signs.

Leonard is a quality All-Star, not a franchise player as he showed versus the Clippers in the playoffs. Without Duncan and Ginobili, I don't think he'll be nearly as effective. Green is a quality role player, add LMA to that group and you might be looking at a 40 win team in the West.

Also, the biggest loss by far would be Popovich, I think when he leaves, the Spurs might be on to some rough times. He's been a phenomenal coach with the way he has been able to get the best out of guys who go elsewhere and often fall off dramatically.

They've been elite for like 18 years now.

They've had 26 years of elite HOF level players after winding up with the 1st pick in the draft and selecting David Robinson and Tim Duncan. To think that they'll wind up with a third straight HOF player to carry the team might be stretching it a bit.

The Spurs are the short term choice but may struggle without Duncan, Ginobili and Popovich as well as an aging Tony Parker. The Suns don't have the immediate title chances that the Spurs would but have more longer term stability on their roster and 2 quality centers.

I don't think its unreasonable to state that the likely reason for Aldridge having not yet signed on the bottom line with San Antonio is the thought of what happens in years 2 and beyond of his contract. It certainly is worth thinking over if you're about to sign the biggest deal of your career and likely last major contract.
    Last edited by PejaNowitzki; 07-04-2015 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    Leonard is a quality All-Star, not a franchise player. Green is a quality role player, add LMA to that group and you might be looking at a 40 win team in the West.

Also, the biggest loss by far would be Popovich, I think when he leaves, the Spurs might be on to some rough times. He's been a phenomenal coach with the way he has been able to get the best out of guys who go elsewhere and often fall off dramatically.

They've had 26 years of elite HOF level players after winding up with the 1st pick in the draft and selecting David Robinson and Tim Duncan. To think that they'll wind up with a third straight HOF player to carry the team might be stretching it a bit.

In anycase, its the unknown vs the known. The Spurs are the short term choice butmay struggle without Duncan, Ginobili and Popovich as well as an aging Tony Parker. The Suns don't have the immediate title chances that the Spurs would but have more longer term stability on their roster and 2 quality centers.
    Leonard is better than you say....like a lot better.

And you do realize that they will have other players as well...when I talked about those 3 I was just pointing out that on those 3 alone they have 2 all nba type players and the 3rd guy is one of the best role players in the game.

They got both Green and Leonard on discounts.

They'll have loads of cap room once Parker retires (Parker is still a good player) as well.

There is absolutely no reason to think the Spurs have some short term outlook.

Local High School Star

duncan and ginobili are on their way out. id be surprised if either plays more than 1 more year.

houston is the best option going forward IMO.

[QUOTE=DMAVS41]

They'll have loads of cap room once Parker retires (Parker is still a good player) as well.

There is absolutely no reason to think the Spurs have some short term outlook.

Look, I'm not going to argue with you back and forth over the merits of the Spurs, you think they'll be just fine because Kawhi Leonard will dominate the NBA, I think they'll take a step back, eitherway my point which stands is that there is long-term uncertainty.

They might just be fine, or they might fall apart and wind up in the lottery. Maybe they'll keep on winning, maybe they won't but the "maybe's" exist when you consider that 2 of the team's 3 best players over the past decade are on the way out and potentially the only head coach that they've ever won titles with. That's certainly a lot to ponder over for Aldridge. Duncan, Ginobili and possibly Popovich will be gone within a season or two, Ginobili might already have clocked out, they traded away a quality center in Splitter and basically would require Aldridge to play a considerable amount of time at a position that he doesn't want to play as a result.

Certainly you can argue that there are questions with Phoenix but you can look at the roster and have a better idea of who should be around a few years from now. You also know that with Chandler and Len, Aldridge could expect to play the 4 the vast majority of the time.
    Last edited by PejaNowitzki; 07-04-2015 at 12:33 AM.

Magic Johnson

If this drags out much longer, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs take themselves out of the running. They offer championship experience, the best front office and coach in the league, a young superstar who just signed a long-term contract, and Aldridge is from Texas.