Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Better overall player: Mike Conley or Mario Chalmers

Who is the better overall player: Mike Conley or Mario Chalmers?

I'll go with Chalmers.

Default Re: Better overall player: Mike Conley or Mario Chalmers

Chalmers because it was his rookie season, and he was the 34th pick instead of 4th.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

I think Conley is a better. Chalmers doesn't seem to have "it" to be a good floor general, he made way too many stupid plays even for a rookie. Chalmers just isn't a smart player.

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    I think Conley is a better. Chalmers doesn't seem to have "it" to be a good floor general, he made way too many stupid plays even for a rookie. Chalmers just isn't a smart player.

Chalmers didn't make excessive mistakes for a rookie. Thinking back, the only major mistakes he's made through the season was the shooting the 3pt shot while calling a timeout, and the turnover late in the Cleveland game. I think some Heat fans have become spoiled. His problem wasn't making mistakes what so ever.... it was dissapearing. He'd dissapear when Wade was being trapped late in the 4th, and wasn't able to make plays off of the isolation or pick & roll for other teammates consistently.

All in all, he played okay on ball defense, great weakside defense, didn't do alot of things out of his realm (try and take contested shots, fancy passes, etc..), and found his way through his rookie season as a solid contributor. I don't want to jump the gun, but I can almost guarantee Chalmers has a better second year than Conley did.

I'm just not that high on Chalmers. To me he's not more than a career backup. He can't handle the ball very well for an NBA point guard, isn't a great shooter, isn't athletic, lacks size, and is already 2 or 3 years older than his class peers. I as a Heat fan of course would like to get convinced otherwise, but I'm still mad that we didn't do anything to get Andre Miller.

I'm just not that high on Chalmers. To me he's not more than a career backup. He can't handle the ball very well for an NBA point guard, isn't a great shooter, isn't athletic, lacks size, and is already 2 or 3 years older than his class peers. I as a Heat fan of course would like to get convinced otherwise, but I'm still mad that we didn't do anything to get Andre Miller.
    We don't need a 34yr old PG. He's a far worse shooter than Chalmers. Going into 2010 and beyond, hopefully with Wade, a more matured Beasley + another max free agent superstar... we don't need an old PG with an expiration date. He doesn't even run the offense as good as similar in age PGs like Nash & Kidd... he's more of a scorer.

And trust, I like Chalmers, but I'm not delusional. I currently have him slated as somewhere in the bottom 26-30 of starting PGs.... the issue is I have Conley probably 1 slot lower than him (along with Udrih, Ridnour, and Telfair in 08/09).

Orlando 2010 Champs oballers4life's Avatar

mike conley was great the last month 1/2 of the season he was getting 20 points 5 rebounds and 5 assists or something......chalmers isnt really that good

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    We don't need a 34yr old PG. He's a far worse shooter than Chalmers. Going into 2010 and beyond, hopefully with Wade, a more matured Beasley + another max free agent superstar... we don't need an old PG with an expiration date. He doesn't even run the offense as good as similar in age PGs like Nash & Kidd... he's more of a scorer.

And trust, I like Chalmers, but I'm not delusional. I currently have him slated as somewhere in the bottom 26-30 of starting PGs.... the issue is I have Conley probably 1 slot lower than him (along with Udrih, Ridnour, and Telfair in 08/09).
    Conley handles the ball better than Chalmers, and more importantly, he has better court vision. Chalmers at times still struggles to bring up the ball. Conley's early career so far has been a disappointment and I don't know who will end up being better between Chalmers and Conley, but if I'm offered Conley for Chalmers, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Give me Mario Chalmers on my team any day of the week.

1 week avy bet..... RedZiggyZag's Avatar

Chalmers is better now, but Conley has much more potential, in the past years he just had a bad coach and he couldn't fit into his system, he started to play a lot better when they replaced their coach mid-season, but I still think right now Chalmers is better. Better defender and shooter, Conley is the better playmaker though, but again I believe Conley will be better in the future.

conley, he avearged almost 20 ppg

National High School Star KoolKat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rekindled
    conley, he avearged almost 20 ppg
    When ?

I'll take Chalmers. Much better defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    Give me Mario Chalmers on my team any day of the week.
    To what? Start over DWill?

Conley handles the ball better than Chalmers, and more importantly, he has better court vision. Chalmers at times still struggles to bring up the ball. Conley's early career so far has been a disappointment and I don't know who will end up being better between Chalmers and Conley, but if I'm offered Conley for Chalmers, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Chalmers doesn't struggle bringing the ball up the floor, I think you're confusing Quinn with him. I don't recall him turning over the ball more than maybe once or twice all season including playoffs while bringing the ball up.

And Chalmers for Conley is about as lateral a move one can make. You don't trade the 26-28th worst starting PG for the 26-28th worst starting PG. I'd rather see what we have out of Chalmers in his second & third year while he's still on his less than $1M contract for the next 2 years, than have to pay Conley his $6.5M qualifying offer. If anything we'll see Chalmers is not the starting PG of the future, and just keep him as a super cheap backup.