Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Out of curosity, do you think all nighters for exams actually work?

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    modafinil says hi, piracetam work as well, from not-so-good substance adderall and ritalin work, too
    You can take black beauties and stay awake for days but it doesn't mean it's a good idea or safe.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Better than studying properly? No. Better than nothing - of course.

Banned

Used to swear by them for memorization exams, i.e. Bio or general classes. Doesn't really work with my Chem classes. Had a 4.0 for a long time, at a 3.83 now. Although now I generally study for 6-8 hours a day, but that's because I actually enjoy the material and strive to learn as much as possible. I literally roflstomp exams these days where as I used to scrape by with a high B or low A.

During my freshman-1st semester junior year, I would say I pulled well over 100 all nighters. And many of those were staying up for 30+ hours popping addy's every 6 hours. But you can SERIOUSLY fvck up if you overestimate how much time you have and halfway dick around during that all nighter. That's how you end up making a 50 on an exam and having to drop a class.
    Last edited by Joyner82reload; 01-30-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Yes, they do work, but I once failed miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyner82reload
    Used to swear by them for memorization exams, i.e. Bio or general classes. Doesn't really work with my Chem classes. Had a 4.0 for a long time, at a 3.83 now. Although now I generally study for 6-8 hours a day, but that's because I actually enjoy the material and strive to learn as much as possible. I literally roflstomp exams these days where as I used to scrape by with a high B or low A.

During my freshman-1st semester junior year, I would say I pulled well over 100 all nighters. And many of those were staying up for 30+ hours popping addy's every 6 hours. But you can SERIOUSLY fvck up if you overestimate how much time you have and halfway dick around during that all nighter. That's how you end up making a 50 on an exam and having to drop a class.
    The **** dude?

There are about 261 week days in the year and most schools have around 3 months of break all combined to ~180 school days.

If you pulled 100 all nighters for 180 school days you were doing it wrong

NBA All-star

why else would such a large population of the student body do it.?

That's ****ing retarded. I'd rather be a C student if having an A average meant constant all nighters and copious amounts of amphetamines.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    The **** dude?

There are about 261 week days in the year and most schools have around 3 months of break all combined to ~180 school days.

Just spat out my dinner

Decent playground baller

They worked for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    The **** dude?

Not sure if srs....

4 classes a semester, 3 exams for each=12 nights
    Writing lab reports=4-10 all nighters depending on the lab, Quantitative chemistry for instance is a BITCH. 20 page lab reports with detailed formulas/equations typed up took 5-8 hours easy.

*5 semesters..there you go
    Last edited by Joyner82reload; 01-31-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    That's ****ing retarded. I'd rather be a C student if having an A average meant constant all nighters and copious amounts of amphetamines.
    Well the only reason I had to stay up all nights is because I would NEVER study, other than doing homework once, prior to the night before an exam. It was my own fault, and in retrospect I wish I could have done what I do now. But I was too busy with fraternity/girls/partying to care about actually researching what I learn now.

At this point in my college career, I literally research scientific articles in detail to discover essentially every mechanism/process of what I'm studying.

It's actually fairly amusing because I generally know more than all of my lecturers about many of the specific subjects they're teaching. For instance I put my genetics/genomics professors to shame when it comes down to the mechanisms behind what they teach. Of course knowing stuff like the specific ATPases that form the subunits of the protein complexes responsible for chromatin condensation during Prophase is not his job. His job is to be able to explain in brief detail the purpose/general processes of mitosis. Well actually that's not his job either. His job is really to research, lectures are fcking stupid to begin with and pointless in most sciences. A giant waste of time that would be better spent studying on ones own, you can learn 2-3X the material in that span of time.
    Last edited by Joyner82reload; 01-31-2015 at 12:07 AM.

Well the only reason I had to stay up all nights is because I would NEVER study, other than doing homework once, prior to the night before an exam. It was my own fault, and in retrospect I wish I could have done what I do now. But I was too busy with fraternity/girls/partying to care about actually researching what I learn now.

At this point in my college career, I literally research scientific articles in detail to discover essentially every mechanism/process of what I'm studying.

It's actually fairly amusing because I generally know more than all of my lecturers about many of the specific subjects they're teaching. For instance I put my genetics/genomics professors to shame when it comes down to the mechanisms behind what they teach. Of course knowing stuff like the specific ATPases that form the subunits of the protein complexes responsible for chromatin condensation during Prophase is not his job. His job is to be able to explain in brief detail the purpose/general processes of mitosis. Well actually that's not his job either. His job is really to research, lectures are fcking stupid to begin with and pointless in most sciences. A giant waste of time that would be better spent studying on ones own, you can learn 2-3X the material in that span of time.
    No, that's retarded and you're clearly delusional. There is a 0% chance you know about any subject more than any professor teaching one of your classes. I repeat. 0%.

Banned

No, that's retarded and you're clearly delusional. There is a 0% chance you know about any subject more than any professor teaching one of your classes. I repeat. 0%.
    Because Genetics=Biochemistry

During my freshman-1st semester junior year, I would say I pulled well over 100 all nighters. And many of those were staying up for 30+ hours popping addy's every 6 hours.

That's ****ing nonsense. I don't know the guy, and so can't comment in his case, but to say a student cannot know 'about any subject more than any professor teaching one of your classes' is patently idiotic. Just because you never put the time in to go well beyond the taught syllabus, doesn't mean others don't do otherwise. Moreover, many teachers teach stuff they really don't know that well, as they just needed to find someone for that particular module - they most definitely do not always teach their speciality, which is after all, what most of their time is spent on.

There are a few very intelligent students out there, and plenty of irredeemably unintelligent professors. Kingsley Amis, who was a very good and knowledgeable teacher and professor, said that any class that doesn't contain a student who makes the teacher a bit afraid due to his extensive knowledge of the subject, and intelligence, is a class that won't get the most out of the teacher.