Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sixers Fans: Who should we take in the draft?

Pretty confident we'll get a top 3 pick (I know, tank, yada yada yada)
    If so who to get considering what we are currently building with

Do we take Okafor or Towns having already Noel and Embiid?

Or do we go for Mudiay who seems to be a great fit and a legit wing scorer?

Or possibly Stanley Johnson who may be the best 2-way perimeter player in this draft and a physical specimen?

Thoughts?

I think if it's there Mudiay, then Stanley Johnson. With Johnson we'll have a shut down at every position. Mudiay seems like the best fit though and can be the next coming of Iverson in terms of Superstar marketability

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Default Re: Sixers Fans: Who should we take in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Pretty confident we'll get a top 3 pick (I know, tank, yada yada yada)
    If so who to get considering what we are currently building with

Do we take Okafor or Towns having already Noel and Embiid?

Or do we go for Mudiay who seems to be a great fit and a legit wing scorer?

Or possibly Stanley Johnson who may be the best 2-way perimeter player in this draft and a physical specimen?

Thoughts?

I think if it's there Mudiay, then Stanley Johnson. With Johnson we'll have a shut down at every position. Mudiay seems like the best fit though and can be the next coming of Iverson in terms of Superstar marketability
    I want Johnson but i don't think that they'll take him. I'm not in love with Mudiay and I don't think that they'll take him. If they have the number one they will take Okafor (towns if they pick second) and trade Noel I suspect if Embiid is healthy. That's my guess. Then I assume in the following draft they will take a shooter.

Edit: It's really hard to tell but I think that they will go big because Hinkie is like Morey in that he wants to acquire assets and bigs are the hardest things to come by. That's not what I want to do but that's what I suspect that they'll do.
    Last edited by chocolatethunder; 12-03-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Facts Are Misleading

Stanley Johnson.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

another injured player or a euro scrub.

who cares? go in freaking Dleague for all i care

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    I want Johnson but i don't think that they'll take him. I'm not in love with Mudiay and I don't think that they'll take him. If they have the number one they will take Okafor (towns if they pick second) and trade Noel I suspect if Embiid is healthy. That's my guess. Then I assume in the following draft they will take a shooter.

Edit: It's really hard to tell but I think that they will go big because Hinkie is like Morey in that he wants to acquire assets and bigs are the hardest things to come by. That's not what I want to do but that's what I suspect that they'll do.
    They do also have that MIA pick likely coming their way, so I'm interested to see what exactly they'll do with that. Whether that means taking a shooter then, packaging it with asset(s) to move up in the draft, or trade a current piece for another pick. Hinkie's plan is always interesting, but I wonder if teams will low-ball him in trades.

I feel if you guys can't get Okafor or Towns but can trade MCW for a top 15 pick, you'll take Mudiay. I'm not sure why but I feel MCW will get traded at some point. Maybe to Indy at season's end, assuming they miss the playoffs (only b/c they need a PG upgrade).

I suspect that. It's always taking the best asset as opposed to the best fit. I just don't see anybody jumping at the chance to take Noel at the moment and I'd hate to see a player such as Mudiay be a missed opportunity. Okafor and Towns just don't do it for me. Okafor is being knocked for his lack of defense. May be the next Eddy Curry. Towns from what i've seen looks like a tall street baller

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    They do also have that MIA pick likely coming their way, so I'm interested to see what exactly they'll do with that. Whether that means taking a shooter then, packaging it with asset(s) to move up in the draft, or trade a current piece for another pick. Hinkie's plan is always interesting, but I wonder if teams will low-ball him in trades.

I feel if you guys can't get Okafor or Towns but can trade MCW for a top 15 pick, you'll take Mudiay. I'm not sure why but I feel MCW will get traded at some point. Maybe to Indy at season's end, assuming they miss the playoffs (only b/c they need a PG upgrade).
    couple of things. The Miami pick is top 10 protected but they won't have to worry about that.

Hinkie won't take low ball offers so that doesn't really matter. If he can't get what he wants then he won't make the deal.

I don't see them taking Mudiay because I don't see him as a player that they would want in their system ( in spite of whatever that may be right now).

And no I don't think that they would trade MCW to Indy because they would want a lottery pick plus other picks/young talent and Indy doesn't have those. In addition, Hinkie is not looking for any vets with existing contracts so he's not gonna do stuff like that yet. Not saying they wouldn't trade MCW, the will trade anyone for the right deal but I don't see them trading him and certainly not to Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I suspect that. It's always taking the best asset as opposed to the best fit. I just don't see anybody jumping at the chance to take Noel at the moment and I'd hate to see a player such as Mudiay be a missed opportunity. Okafor and Towns just don't do it for me. Okafor is being knocked for his lack of defense. May be the next Eddy Curry. Towns from what i've seen looks like a tall street baller
    I don't really like Mudiay tbh. I see him as a Westbrook kind of chucker and although Westbrook is totally awesome and exciting, you know damn well he chucks too much and the chances of winning a championship with him are slim. If Embiid gets healthy they will need a guard who will feed the post and Mudiay doesn't strike me as that type of player. I think that they are going in a different direction. Not that I don't think that Mudiay won't be exciting, he will be but I don't see them going for him. I'm not wild about Okafor or Towns either. I like Johnson but he's not a number one by a long shot and I don't think they take him anyway.

NBA lottery pick

Cliff Alexander

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Sixers should be contracted.

I really wanna see Stanley Johnson is a Sixers uni.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Anyone in the top two is going to pretty much have to choose between Okafore and Towns. I know right now Okafore is the frontrunner, but I can envision Towns catching him. After that who knows.

But it is a problem that those two really don't fit. If it were me I'd take Towns and try to move Noel. But Noel may not yield what you want. Okafor definitely doesn't fit with Embiid. If Embiid yielded a real young shooting threat, I'd do that.

I like Mudiay more than most. But he's more of a combo guard than a PG. And while I think he can shoot it good enough to space some, I think he'd need the ball too much to play next to MCW. Johnson is a much purer wing. I'm a little worried about his upside though if you're picking 3. If they're picking three they'd almost be better off moving back. Hell I like the end of the first top of the second in this draft. Wayne Seldon and various other similar guys are hanging back there. Eventually these guys are gonna run outta roster spots though. And I don't know how much longer they're "plan" will hold up to the public if they find themselves trading down, or trading into next year's draft. They desperately need shooting. But they may be drafting too high to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Anyone in the top two is going to pretty much have to choose between Okafore and Towns. I know right now Okafore is the frontrunner, but I can envision Towns catching him. After that who knows.

But it is a problem that those two really don't fit. If it were me I'd take Towns and try to move Noel. But Noel may not yield what you want. Okafor definitely doesn't fit with Embiid. If Embiid yielded a real young shooting threat, I'd do that.

I like Mudiay more than most. But he's more of a combo guard than a PG. And while I think he can shoot it good enough to space some, I think he'd need the ball too much to play next to MCW. Johnson is a much purer wing. I'm a little worried about his upside though if you're picking 3. If they're picking three they'd almost be better off moving back. Hell I like the end of the first top of the second in this draft. Wayne Seldon and various other similar guys are hanging back there. Eventually these guys are gonna run outta roster spots though. And I don't know how much longer they're "plan" will hold up to the public if they find themselves trading down, or trading into next year's draft. They desperately need shooting. But they may be drafting too high to take it.
    I agree with all of that. They'd never take Johnson at 3 which sucks because I like him a lot. I don't like Mudiay much but I certainly don't see him as a fit here. I actually think that they could work Okafor and Embiid because Embiid can play high post. That's not ideal and that's not what I want, so don't misunderstand that . I think that they'll take a big and move Noel. However, do not underestimate Hinkie to pull some deal out of his ass like the Noel/Holiday deal. Expect the unexpected with Hinkie. Always.

I'd really like to see D'Angelo Russell get picked by the Sixers. Really good feel for the game, good physical attributes (needs to add weight on his frame), and he has a good stroke. Maybe they can grab him in the 11-16 range if the Heat pick lands in that range.

Decent college freshman

couple of things. The Miami pick is top 10 protected but they won't have to worry about that.

Hinkie won't take low ball offers so that doesn't really matter. If he can't get what he wants then he won't make the deal.

I don't see them taking Mudiay because I don't see him as a player that they would want in their system ( in spite of whatever that may be right now).

And no I don't think that they would trade MCW to Indy because they would want a lottery pick plus other picks/young talent and Indy doesn't have those. In addition, Hinkie is not looking for any vets with existing contracts so he's not gonna do stuff like that yet. Not saying they wouldn't trade MCW, the will trade anyone for the right deal but I don't see them trading him and certainly not to Indiana.
    The MIA pick will convey as long as Wade plays 60 games and Bosh keeps producing at the same level, so it's pretty safe to assume you'll get it (16-19 range seems most likely range imo). I'm pretty sure that for next 2 years Philly's own 2nd rounder goes to Boston, so this mid-first round pick is actually a useful asset for this squad. That's why I brought it up.

I brought up Mudiay in a scenario where Philly doesn't have a shot at either Okafor or Towns due to draft position. Most guys have Mudiay as the clear #3 so far. I haven't been able to watch his game film while he's been in China, but going into the year scouts were saying he's shown nice vision and ability reading defenses (perhaps he's more adept at this than MCW, but I don't think we know his real value since he's obviously got a dumpster fire for teammates).

He may turn out to be a chucker, but Brown has got the chops to lead him down the right path, provided there's enough talent on the squad.

Chad Ford's Big Board 3.0 had Oubre at like 11 (I believe he'll rise but pretend a wing guy slips to around that slot in the draft that Hinkie likes). I wouldn't be shocked if Hinkie flipped MCW for a potential stud wing (if he took Mudiay at #3) + filler. My scenario has a bunch of what-ifs, so it takes a lot of qualifiers lol. I could see Indy actually trading for a PG and Bird's recent track record with trades is why I brought them up.

I may be wrong but Stanley Johnson's shooting #s are really low this year right(might be confusing him with somebody else)? Small sample size but something to watch for. If Philly gets a top 2 pick, I see them taking Towns, hope Embiid is healthy, and shop Noel for the right price. Towns + healthy Embiid would be sick to watch for years to come.

EDIT: Believe I mixed up Johnson with someone else
    Last edited by SwishSquared; 12-03-2014 at 05:44 PM.