Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Oscar Robertson On LeBron

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...n-lebron-james

June 25, 2016

ATLANTA -- When greatness praises greatness, you never know what you'll hear sometime. Take, for instance, the bold suggestion on Friday at the Center for Civil and Human Rights, where Oscar Robertson said LeBron James is so peerless these days in the NBA that the league should get rid of its Most Valuable Player Award for embarrassing itself.

"He got no votes for the MVP award," Robertson said, raising his voice while shaking his head. His reference was to James in relation to Golden State Warriors sharpshooter Stephen Curry, who finished this past regular season as the first unanimous winner of the award that Robertson captured in 1964 along the way to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. "I mean, he takes his [Cleveland Cavaliers team] to the NBA Championship, and he gets no votes at all. I think that was a bias situation. They should just do away with the award. For him not to get a vote? I think it's terrible."

Just for the record, the voting for NBA MVP happens each season before the playoffs, but you get Robertson's point. This also isn't to say that The Big O is totally surprised by the King James snub.

"You know, that's just the way things are in the world today," said Robertson, 77, in town as one of the honorees for the annual Hank Aaron Champion for Justice Awards as part of Heritage Weekend for the Atlanta Braves. "[James] plays great. I don't think he had the team to win it all last year, because two of his guys were out. But this year, when [the Warriors] stopped making field goals, it's a different game. I admire LeBron, and he kept real quiet until all the games were over. Then he said some things.

[I]"But I'll tell you one thing. There's so much social media around nowadays that I'm glad LeBron won. Only because, if he hadn't

Default Re: Oscar Robertson On LeBron

not surprising coming from Oscar knowing how he sees himself if Lebron and not being a fan of Curry's game. Curry definitely deserved that MVP however since it's just based off the RS.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Rs - regular season.

MVP should be of whole resume of the year.

I agree with the Big O. I think LeBron wins his 5th MVP next season. He won't play in the 2016 Olympics. and Cavs are winning 60 games.

Local High School Star KirbyPls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    I agree with the Big O. I think LeBron wins his 5th MVP next season. He won't play in the 2016 Olympics. and Cavs are winning 60 games.
    It'd be cool, but I'm much more concerned about rings and Finals MVPs at this point. I don't care what he does in the RS. Let Kyrie and Love do some heavy lifting, work on his passing, handles, jumper, and turn into the best player in the game when it counts again.

One more FMVP (although if Kyrie keeps coming, LBJ has his work cut out for him on that front if they make another Finals) and two more rings is far more valuable to me and his legacy than another MVP. Not to mention that for him to get an MVP, he may spend too much energy in the RS, leaving CLE unable to win it all against another West juggernaut.

My opinion anyway.

He's right .

Todays votings are totally one sided , if there's a dominant player ; all votes goes him all the way . It's a bad thing .

http://theundefeated.com/features/os...ur-and-leader/

Oscar Robertson gives LeBron his blessing

‘I wish LeBron and I could have teamed up together’

By Oscar Robertson - July 1, 2016

Last edited by PHILA; 07-01-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Two players better than Kobe

Anyway, that shit was really bad... not one vote, and behind Leonard?

Two acrobats cannot dance on the same rope .

But both were similar level players in their primes . Oscar had playmaking and shooting while Lebron had defence and boards .

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA

[COLOR="Red"]He got his first two[/COLOR] when he interrupted his stay with the Cavaliers to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh with the Miami Heat.
    Lebron's own words show that he underachieved with the Heat, since he expected 'not 5, not 6, not 7'..

It's easy to forget what was expected of that Heat team when evaluating the quality of 2/4 and a record defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA

"He's much bigger, taller," Robertson said. "But anytime you play the game of basketball, and you're a dominant player, you have to make sure you get the other players involved in the action, and LeBron is learning that. As the years go by, he's gotten better at doing that, but if you don't have guys who can contribute, [COLOR="DarkRed"]you certainly can't throw them the ball[/COLOR]."
    The bolded is giving Lebron an excuse for his 2009 and 2010 failures as the 1-seed, by saying he didn't have a sufficient supporting cast..

But if he didn't have a sufficient supporting cast, then why did that supporting cast add enough production on top of his 28/8/7 to win 66 games in 2009?.. Contrastingly, Jordan's supporting cast only enough on top of his 33/8/8 to win 47 games in 1989..

The 19-win advantage despite Lebron's inferior production indicates a better supporting cast, and probably inferior competition as well... But not brand of basketball - we know Jordan's brand of basketball was better because his brand was more successful in the playoffs.. Jordan's 6th seeded Bulls beat higher seeds in every round and took the champs to 6 games in ECF, while Lebron's heavily-favored 1 seed saw their brand of basketball exposed in the 2nd Round by the Magic.
    Last edited by 3ball; 07-01-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Great college starter

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Lebron's own words show that he underachieved with the Heat, since he expected 'not 5, not 6, not 7'..

It's easy to forget what was expected of that Heat team when evaluating the quality of 2/4 and a record defeat.

The bolded is giving Lebron an excuse for his 2009 and 2010 failures as the 1-seed, by saying he didn't have a sufficient supporting cast..

But if he didn't have a sufficient supporting cast, then why did that supporting cast add enough production on top of his 28/8/7 to win 66 games in 2009?.. Contrastingly, Jordan's supporting cast only enough on top of his 33/8/8 to win 47 games in 1989..

The 19-win advantage despite Lebron's inferior production indicates a better supporting cast, and probably inferior competition as well... But not brand of basketball - we know Jordan's brand of basketball was better because his brand was more successful in the playoffs.. Jordan's 6th seeded Bulls beat higher seeds in every round and took the champs to 6 games in ECF, while Lebron's heavily-favored 1 seed saw their brand of basketball exposed in the 2nd Round by the Magic.
    Jordan's production was not superior to Lebrons. Per 100 possessions, Lebron scored more, grabbed more boards, dishes more assists

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    Two acrobats cannot dance on the same rope .

But both were similar level players in their primes . Oscar had playmaking and shooting while Lebron had defence and boards .
    Lebron had/has everthing. He isn't a pure shooter but he can shoot, and is one of the best play-makers of all time - better than most true point-guards.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Oscar Robertson was another dude who could only pad empty stats vs weak competition and couldn't win until he teamed up with a GOAT in Kareem Abdul Jabbar (Anything sound familiar?)

No wonder the Big Empty loves LeBron, he is a modern day version of himself

Mugshot from SlyCooper Nilocon165's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Oscar Robertson was another dude who could only pad empty stats vs weak competition and couldn't win until he teamed up with a GOAT in Kareem Abdul Jabbar (Anything sound familiar?)

No wonder the Big Empty loves LeBron, he is a modern day version of himself
    In 2016 Curry put up one of the worst finals performances of all time

This is what he looked like trying to guard Kyrie

Therefore we can conclude that Curry is a choking loser