Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Intelligent fan

Default Re: Would anyone still take Oden over Bynum?

Am I missing something? Has Oden even played one game yet?

NBA rookie of the year

LMFAO at people saying Oden all day or oden any day. Bynum is putting up 12.5 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 1.6 apg, 2.1 bpg in just 29.0 mpg in the f*ckin NBA. Those probably beat Oden's stats last year against college stats. Hell at this pace Bynum may be at 14-15 ppg and 11-12 rpg by the end of the season. Not only does Bynum have 2 inches of height on Oden and 2-3 inches on his wingspan but he has showed superior post moves and footwork. Keep in mind I like Oden but he is not nearly as talented as Bynum. And they are pretty much the same age.

Bynum is currently better than Oden for sure, but who knows what might happen 5 yrs later?

Oden hasn't even played yet.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Give me Greg Oden over Bynum 7 days a week.

Hmmm... thats a pretty weak take... how about why? Do you respectfully have a rationale behind your comment? I'd expect more from you with your experience here.

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    LMFAO at people saying Oden all day or oden any day. Bynum is putting up 12.5 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 1.6 apg, 2.1 bpg in just 29.0 mpg in the f*ckin NBA.
    Thats nice. I mean how many dunks did he have yesterday? Did he display any low post moves & actually SCORE? Did he hit players cutting to the basket or drew a double team only to kick out to an open player for a jumper? It wasnt too long ago this time last year Bynum made a nice buzz, a nice fan following, got the whole "Is he the next ____" threads only to fizzle badly in the month of Feb and beyond...so much trade rumors involving him popped up and Lakers mgmt got bashed by some media/fans for not dealing him for Jason Kidd or some sure thing. In the offseason Odumb/Bynum for JO was the talk of the town. Some suggested it would have been a good move.

Now Bynum is back to producing and is having a hot "month". Awesome, no really props. He's young and is still developing...so kudos to the production he is pumping out. But I'm not gonna jump on this kids bandwagon when i see areas he needs to improve on and the fact that he is a big man with that production and isnt an IMPACT/FRANCHISE player. Meaning when Kobe goes to the bench? Lakers offense looks clueless like a blonde asking questions in a classroom. Bynum is so good he cant even keep the offense going without Kobe on the floor? Wow.

Again I'm only being hard on the kid because its deserved just as giving him pats on the back for his play is. But the day Bynum establishes himself like Dwight Howard has? Yao Ming? By all means call me.

And this is the part where I begin to mock you...

Dalembert is putting up 11.1ppg 9.8rpg 2.6bpg in just 33mpg the f*cking NBA!

Yet GOBB will drive to Philadelphia International Airport...park in the garage because you cant sit outside for 5mins and wait for arrivals to pick up Greg Oden. I dont care if his flight gets delayed and I gotta pay the overcharged parking price at PHL...its worth it plus the gas I will burn driving him to the arena. Give me Greg Oden 7 days a week, 365 days a year over Dalembert.

Before Lebron, Carmelo, D.Wade played 1 game? Much like Greg Oden in this scenerio? I would have taken THEM over a player the equivalent of a Andrew Bynum during that time period. Find a player and use them. Pau Gasol (drafted in what 2001)? Pffft, would have taken all 3 before they even walked on the stage to shake Stern's hand.

Those probably beat Oden's stats last year against college stats
    Comparing Bynum in his 3rd year as an professional NBA player vs a freshman who played with a cast on his shooting hand a signfiicant portion of the season is moronic.

Hell at this pace Bynum may be at 14-15 ppg and 11-12 rpg by the end of the season.
    Long season...who knows. He may, he may not. Even still those "stats" wont change my mind. His improvement, his prescence, his impact? That is the only way I'll reconsider anything.

Not only does Bynum have 2 inches of height on Oden and 2-3 inches on his wingspan but he has showed superior post moves and footwork. Keep in mind I like Oden but he is not nearly as talented as Bynum. And they are pretty much the same age.

Bynum looks like Dwight Howard as a rookie on offense. Bully bucket baskets. When did catch the ball in the post, give a mofo a shoulder fake and drop the baby hook? When did he catch the ball in the post and quickly spin baseline and score? Up and under?

Oden has to improve his offense/low post moves as well. Cant really start evaluating guys until after 3 solid years...big men that is. Only right/fair because they gotta learn and develop thier games.

If Bynum and Oden were in the draft...Oden would get drafted 10 out of 10 times over Bynum. There is a reason for that. Just like there is a reason why Bynum was never considered to be a #1 draft pick yet Oden was before he played 1 minute in COLLEGE.

Oden could dissapoint, could let folks down and he has been overrated to the degree if people think he is Bill Russell 2007 the moment he steps on the floor you're foolin yourself and setting unrealitic expectations (altho realistic to those dreamers).

GOBB, you fail to make a credible argument for your earlier statement about Oden > Bynum.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    Hmmm... thats a pretty weak take... how about why? Do you respectfully have a rationale behind your comment? I'd expect more from you with your experience here.

Hardly weak considering why Greg Oden went #1 and the hype surrounding him. I would be regurgitating stuff you've read and/or heard about the kid all college season, draft and summer.

Greg Oden is a franchise player you build teams around. To me he has all the tools that when developed in 3-4(no more than 4)yrs will be a dominant force in the NBA. A top 10 player, battling for "Best Center" in the NBA (cuz Dwight could be his arch nemesis). He's already a better defender, shot blocker, rebounder than Bynum in my eyes. Just has a knack for the ball. Physically just as imposing as Bynum with 2yrs and a couple months (NBA season wise hasnt completed his 3rd year yet)...and wouldnt be surprised if both rivaled each other strength wise right now. Has great hands and a nice/soft touch around the basket or can overpower and slam jamma on you. Can score with either hand and already had a nice drop step...but if you defend him you can take it away and thats where Oden has trouble. Needs to find a counter move. The weaknesses is on offense as far as him developing his low post game much like Bynum is doing now. Also wouldnt mind seeing him step out and shoot a jumper much like Alonzo did. He didnt step out far but had some range where he could score more than inside. I think Oden can establish that. Thats why i say in 3yrs no more than 4 he will be an established product giving "reasonable" fans what we expect. I say reasonble because some are unreasonable and generate this ridiculous hype with him that I dont buy. He is just as fast as Bynum running from end to end. Oden speed/agility doesnt get enough props for his size.

So entering year 4 Oden should be doing EXACTLY what Dwight Howard only tho he will be a much better defensive player putting him in the DPOY category. Thats why I'll take Oden 7 days a week over Bynum. Because of what I see/project Oden with his skills/talent/size to be entering his 4th yr.

-"Reading that sounds good. I dont see it but I'll take it. Do you think Da KO King likes me?"

GOBB, you fail to make a credible argument for your earlier statement about Oden > Bynum.

I cant reply to two people at the same time (especially with the amount of text to be typed by me). Its impossible even if I had two browsers open. This is like a deli line where you wanna order some cold cuts. See that lil red device?

Take a number and get in line homie.

I wish we could poll NBA GM's and see who they would take at #1 at this point in the season. Dang, I'd bet a year's paycheck they'd take Bynum over Oden!

Any argument is simply conjecture since Oden has yet to play an NBA game, so there is no point of reference.

So sorry, I don't buy the one you made here. Not even close...

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Can someone save this thread for future reference. Bynum will be good, but Laker fans already think he's the second coming of Kareem or Shaq. You guys overreact to everything he does. Oden is supposed to be a better player when it's all said and done at the end of their careers. What will happen could be a different story. Oden's youth, ahead of schedule recovery, and Amare's comeback from microfracture are positive reasons to think that Oden will achieve good things. Laker fans just chill, relax and let Bynum be who he is.....an up and coming center. Don't ram him down everyone's throats like you do with Kobe.

I wish we could poll NBA GM's and see who they would take at #1 at this point in the season. Dang, I'd bet a year's paycheck they'd take Bynum over Oden!

Any argument is simply conjecture since Oden has yet to play an NBA game, so there is no point of reference.

So sorry, I don't buy the one you made here. Not even close...

If you were asked the same question years ago only this time using Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Dwyane Wade vs Elton Brand, Steve Francis...would you have passed up those unproven talent who had yet to play an NBA game for Elton or Steve?

Steve was coming off a 21ppg 6rpg 6apg year
    Elton was coming off a 18.5ppg 11.4rpg 2.5apg 2.5blks

Before those 3 players were even drafted...would you have kept Steve/Elton or would you have said no, Bron, Wade or Melo will be better players therefore I'll go with them even tho Elton/Steve after 3yrs have produced well (moreso than Bynum at this point).

As a Laker fan you see a young talented big man on your team...and not only that he's producing a double double on the year and blocking at a nice rate for his position. So you passing that up for someone who hasnt even played 1 minute in the NBA is tough to do.

I mean did you feel this way last season in Feb where Bynum tailed off significantly? If proposed Bynum or Oden would you have still selected Bynum as your choice of player? I honestly dont know your stance back then so I'm asking now.

Plenty of scenerios where the unproven player has turned out better than the player who looked good and fans thought had potential to be "something". And there is always a counter argument to that as well.

I'll take Oden every time out....the best we can do is maybe collect quotes on GMs thoughts about Bynum progression and see how they view his potential. But at the end of the day it'll be hard to determine unless its asked/GMs are polled. Why doesnt Jeff and his mini tape recorder do that? Hmmmm

Cuz I believe Oden would beat out Bynum by every GM in the league not based in L.A for the purple and gold.

World Champion WOOOO~!

You people are seriously overrating Oden. I mean, damn, can the kid go a full game without getting 10 fouls? Anyone who watched his play in the summer league would easily say Bynum

I only watched the second half of last night's game, and it was the replay, but I don't think I saw Bynum make a single play that wasn't an easy dish to him to lay it in or dunk it. I know a single game doesn't make a player but people are freaking out about his statistical performance last night.

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    Can someone save this thread for future reference. Bynum will be good, but Laker fans already think he's the second coming of Kareem or Shaq. You guys overreact to everything he does. Oden is supposed to be a better player when it's all said and done at the end of their careers. What will happen could be a different story. Oden's youth, ahead of schedule recovery, and Amare's comeback from microfracture are positive reasons to think that Oden will achieve good things. Laker fans just chill, relax and let Bynum be who he is.....an up and coming center. Don't ram him down everyone's throats like you do with Kobe.
    Noooo, I am not making the claim that Bynum is the second coming of anyone... if you thought that, then I mis-spoke. What I was arguing was who I would take at #1 today, if I was given the chance to pick between Oden and Bynum.

Given what I know about Oden and Bynum, and the fact that Oden has yet to play in the NBA, I would take Bynum hands down.

Ask me in a year, and I might change my mind. But to summarily dismiss Bynum given the choice as presented, is just not rational. One guy has actually played in the NBA, and one guy has never played in the NBA.