Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Default 2011 draft may be terrible

It never occured to me until I read a chat on Hoops world with stephen brotherstein that a lot of college players may not declare this year because of the pending lockout.
I just read a quote from a kid (alec burks) who said he was going to stay in school because of the lockout. I believe he is currently a potential lottery pick. ranked 13 or 14.

We may get screwed for a second time. First winning the lottery in the hs to college transition year, now in a watered down draft.

Hopefully the top players will still enter the draft to protect their stock against injury, etc. but who knows.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: 2011 draft may be terrible

If someone is guaranteed a top 5 spot, they will enter the draft. It would be stupid not to. Imagine if Greg Oden decided to stay another year in college? That would've been disastrous for his career. Regardless of what the new CBA brings, you can't turn down the guaranteed money that being a top pick will bring you. I'd even say if you're looking like a top 15 pick you should enter the draft to secure your future.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Burgz
Banned

It wouldn't have been great anyway, it'll be a draft full of one-and-done players who are potential based picks

outside the top 5 there aren't a lot of players i could say could make a definitive impact in the NBA at this stage in their development

maybe the lockout would be a blessing in disguise if those types of players decided to stay

but like Q said, it'll be hard for them to turn down guaranteed money
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
el gringos
College superstar

2011 draft will be better than the 2010 draft- might take good scouting as the players are all over europe- I think there will be good depth esp at 3 which was terrible last year- another good group of 4's and a much better group of 5's- you are all right if your worried it could be a euro big because there are a couple that might come right to raps- I think the perfect guy for tor is elias harris a power 3, german at gonzaga
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
2011 draft will be better than the 2010 draft- might take good scouting as the players are all over europe- I think there will be good depth esp at 3 which was terrible last year- another good group of 4's and a much better group of 5's- you are all right if your worried it could be a euro big because there are a couple that might come right to raps- I think the perfect guy for tor is elias harris a power 3, german at gonzaga

I like Kanter if we're talking Euro. Tough player from Turkey. I thought he was soft like Turk before but I was dead wrong. He's like a bigger Dejuan Blair with soft hands and post moves.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

I'm also a fan of Elias Harris. Thought he would have stayed in the draft last year.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
bluerap
Good High School Starter

some of the euros in this draft class are very intriguing.
they are a different breed. tough, rebounding, etc.
but the ones that are overseas are very unlikely to declare because of pending lockout.

it makes sense for top lottery college players to declare to guarantee their spot and guard against injury.
but players in europe are making good coin.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

A European player who gets drafted this year can still sign a contract in Europe if a lockout were to happen.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Just because it's the most recent draft thread:

Quote:
Duke freshman Kyrie Irving scored 31 points to go with four assists in Duke's 84-79 win over Michigan State at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Wednesday.

Hes one of the best point guards Ive ever seen, senior teammate Nolan Smith said. Hes very coachable. He loves being on the court with us. Whenever I have something to say to him, he looks me in the eyes and listens. Hes been a great teammate.

But hes on a different level as far as confidence. We know there are going to be games where hes just going to go and were going to follow him.

Irving has been given great freedom by Mike Krzyzewski.

Weve changed the way we play because of him, Krzyzewski said.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...#ixzz16zXojRtg
Old 12-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Watched the game last night. Other than being beaten off the dribble a couple times towards the end of the game, Irving was fantastic. He seemingly attacks the rim recklessly but always finishes with control. He has range on his jump shot, can hit FTs, great decision making and vision for a freshman and he's very athletic. As of right now, he's a lock for a top 3 pick and probably the favourite for 1st overall. Too bad the Raptors are playing themselves out of that range. This is the kind of player you want to start building a contender with.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
bonez26
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Watched the game last night. Other than being beaten off the dribble a couple times towards the end of the game, Irving was fantastic. He seemingly attacks the rim recklessly but always finishes with control. He has range on his jump shot, can hit FTs, great decision making and vision for a freshman and he's very athletic. As of right now, he's a lock for a top 3 pick and probably the favourite for 1st overall. Too bad the Raptors are playing themselves out of that range. This is the kind of player you want to start building a contender with.

yup they should do whatever they have too outside of selling the farm for the pick. Everything should be made available outside of Barbosa, Davis, and Bargs. I saw him play too and he really reminds me of CP3...off course not as controlled or polished yet but that will come. This is the guy the Raps definitely wanna take and build around. A great PG for the next 5-10 years that can break down the defence at will and is a good defender.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
yup they should do whatever they have too outside of selling the farm for the pick. Everything should be made available outside of Barbosa, Davis, and Bargs. I saw him play too and he really reminds me of CP3...off course not as controlled or polished yet but that will come. This is the guy the Raps definitely wanna take and build around. A great PG for the next 5-10 years that can break down the defence at will and is a good defender.

Why outside of Barbosa, Davis and Bargs?

There isn't a player on this team that has the upside of Irving and to get a top 3 pick nobody should be a stumbling block.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26

Barbosa's one of those guys I want traded ASAP

He's been playing well but he has a bad wrist and shoulder and he makes 7.5M (Player option next year) for scoring 10 points off the bench..
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: