Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 09-24-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
3stat2
Local High School Star

Default News tidbits - Dragic video, Grant Hill

New Dragic Video on Suns.com
There's a new 8 minute video on http://www.suns.com with some footage of Dragic in voluntary full court workouts in the first 3 minutes or so. He had a few slick moves, but obviously we still don't know how he'll handle proper regular season games. Ideally I'd like to see him be good enough to earn 18 minutes a game, so Nash can rest more - but that may be a pipe dream.

Suns Plan to limit Hill's minutes
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...shill0924.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Republic
Though Hill was the first to suggest that the Suns limit his time and pursue a free-agent wing (Barnes), he acknowledged Tuesday that his mysterious playoff pain was due to his January appendectomy.

The nebulous team references to lower-abdominal and right-groin pain weren't so mysterious to Hill. He said it was tied to his 2005 sports hernia that required surgery and nearly prompted him to retire.

"Everybody that I talked to said that if I hadn't had the appendectomy, it wouldn't have surfaced," said Hill, who started last season's first 34 games (his longest run since 2000) and averaged 15.9 points during that stretch.
Hopefully he can have a hitch-free season this time around. He's being very classy about the possibility of Barnes starting. I think Hill showed he has some excellent offensive, and especially defensive, awareness last season. He has a knack for getting to the right place at the right time.

East Valley Tribune on starting Matt Barnes:
http://rimshots.freedomblogging.com/...-lot-of-sense/
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Valley Tribune
Why start Barnes? Let us count the ways:

* It gives the Suns two (count ‘em, two) starters in their 20s, and a more athletic team out of the gate.

* The Suns need one more 3-point shooter, and Barnes is the closest thing to that among the new players. It makes sense to have him on the floor with Steve Nash, so the Suns can spread the floor with Barnes and Raja Bell on the wings and give Shaquille O’Neal and, specifically, Amare Stoudemire plenty of room to work in the paint. Hill proved last season that his 3-pointer is uncomfortable and inconsistent.

* Barnes is a better rebounder and runs the floor well, the closest thing on the roster (albeit a far cry) to providing the attributes lost with Shawn Marion’s departure.

* Hill coming off the bench gives the Suns another good ball-handler to help Goran Dragic during his minutes on the floor. With Dragic, Hill and/or Boris Diaw on the floor the adjustment curve is easier for Dragic. And he will be playing more against bench players, giving him an advantage in the basketball IQ category.

* Barnes is a solid defender, especially guarding small forwards, and would get a chance to keep good shooters from getting an early rhythm. His defense might earn him some time late in games, but Hill’s smarts (ability to draw fouls and keep away from committing them) and free throw shooting will get him the nod more often than not.

* And if Hill does miss time due to injury, replacing a bench player doesn’t affect as many people, rotation-wise.
Sounds good to me. We gotta be wary of overrating Barnes though, he's decent but he's not amazing.
Here's a link to his stats over the years for those interested:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...?playerId=1765
I don't think he'll put up great stats - instead it'll be his on-court impact with boxing out, defense and hustle that earns him plenty of minutes.

Random fact - he started one game as a Center last season
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
JackTheRipper
Saw a basketball once

Default Re: News tidbits - Dragic video, Grant Hill

Great video, thanks for the heads up. Hopefully Barnes will play like he did a few years ago as opposed to last year when he had his mom pass away. If he does, I see no problem with him starting and contributing 20+ minutes a game. I've always wanted Hill to come off the bench. There's no reason Hill needs to start, and it just makes sense from a physical standpoint too. And like they said, Hill will provide some solid leadership and playmaking for the second unit.
JackTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: