Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Top ten footballers in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    he..... doesn't. Id understand explaining this to someone who just started watching football, but this is a bit embarrassing, mate.
    Heh, I see you're still mad I've exposed Dirk time after time.

Again, its the system. Busquets is irreplecable the way Barca is playing. Is he more valuable for Barca than Mascherano is for Argentina? Doubtful. Robben played them both in the WC. Guess which one he destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    Heh, I see you're still mad I've exposed Dirk time after time.
    You legit went into those posts thinking you're exposing Dirk? I thought the masondixon guy had you all riled up and you needed to get your emotions out... not sure what worries me more

You legit went into those posts thinking you're exposing Dirk? I thought the masondixon guy had you all riled up and you needed to get your emotions out... not sure what worries me more
    There's no need to be upset, poor, poor AutisticWater

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi
    Again, its the system. Busquets is irreplecable the way Barca is playing. Is he more valuable for Barca than Mascherano is for Argentina? Doubtful. Robben played them both in the WC. Guess which one he destroyed
    Agree to disagree. However, Godin was just an example. I could have used any CB, who somehow never come up in top whatever lists.

you simply compare the impact they have at what they do, youngin...

Godin doesnt have more impact than Suarez, for example.
    Not saying Suarez isn't more impactful than Godin, but a striker's impact by nature of position is more visible than a defender's.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Not saying Suarez isn't more impactful than Godin, but a striker's impact by nature of position is more visible than a defender's.
    Yeah.. I remember a quote by someone (forgot who), he said something along the lines of "defenders become defenders because theyre not good enough to be strikers". Its kinda true. Nobody really grows up dreaming of becoming a defender. They all try out as striker first. Obviously very vague but interesting.

Yeah.. I remember a quote by someone (forgot who), he said something along the lines of "defenders become defenders because theyre not good enough to be strikers". Its kinda true. Nobody really grows up dreaming of becoming a defender. They all try out as striker first. Obviously very vague but interesting.
    Yeah, that quote sucks. It's the same as "Bassplayers are Guitarists that didn't cut it". Some guys just dig defense, some like the "6" or "8" role of link up play and don't care for scoring goals themself.

Of course there are enough strikers out there that didn't make it and became defenders, as there are bassists out there who wanted to be guitar gods, but usually those aren't the ones that become the cream of the crop.

Being a defender requires a certain mindset that needs to get nutured from young age. Rarely someone gets retooled at 16, 17 or 18 years of age, because they couldn't make it at their position of choice.

Alaba is an exception, but only because his real position was crowded at Bayern, his talent was to big to ignore and selling wasn't an option. He plays the 8 at the NT.
    Last edited by Overdrive; 04-15-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi
    You gotta be joking right? He almost won Liverpool a f*cking title and is the biggest reason for Barca winning the treble.. If Godin goes, Atleti will find a way to be great again.. Godin was barely more impressive than that 20yo french CB they have.. Its the system, not the players. See Dortmund. (Obviously with exceptions, Griezmann and Reus can be great on any team)
    Suarez is a more skilled and talented fotball player, and i would also call him "better". But what the **** are you talking about?

Are you serious? Nobody grows up dreaming of being defender? What makes you say this

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    Are you serious? Nobody grows up dreaming of being defender? What makes you say this
    I grew up playing football, went through the youth stages, many years.. speaking of experience.

So did i and i always wanted to be a defender. Tackle the ******* that knows nothing other than dribbling

Rodman was also my first favorite NBA player

So i can tell you from experience that some kids grow up dreaming of being defenders

I grew up playing football, went through the youth stages, many years.. speaking of experience.
    Definitely not my experience. It may be true when you're a 7yr. old playing during school recess, but it is not the case when you join a youth academy. Plenty of kids idolize defenders and want to grow up to be one, although it is true that many more want to be offensive players.

I was a GK from 7 to 12 years old and I loved goal keepers playing myself. The, as much as strikers, could be the heros, but also the backbone. They have to be vocal and organize the defense.

I barely kept playing when I discovered basketball and finally dropped out by the age of 12. Never looked back. I stopped growing at the age of eleven. At 8 I was 5'9" now I'm 5'10" - I know not the best size for basketball either, but I play it for fun - at my age back than I was taller than any other GK. Also was prone to overweight, but fought that off the last couple of years. So no football career, but I still love watching good goalkeeping.

As posted in our big thread in our company "cup" I used to play goalkeeper if we had enough people and I had some nice saves. Nobody came close although I didn't play GK for almost twenty years. Most guys that get put into the goal in hobby leagues and cups are there, because they can't make it on the field. I play there, because it's my first choice.

All that said. When I played hobbywise and wasn't playing GK I played left wing, although a very slow one, but being right footed. Similar to Robben minus the speed. I had a crazy precise shot and freekicking was my specialty. Won several bets in school doing trick shots. Also good, forwardthinking passer. If left wing was taken I played defensive midfield, but I sucked as a defender, think of football James Harden, and they had to hide me everytime I did that. Was more used for link up play, but caused a lot of goals when I had to get back on defense. So naturally I would've hated being a pure defender, but I didn't hate defense itself.

1] Landon Donovan
    2-10] Who gives a shit.