Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Nowitzki Questioning Mavs

My comments on Mayo aren't that he's bad. It's that some people put him on a pedestal as some sort of savior of the Mavs future when Dirk was gone and overhyped him BAD based on 20 games. I think Mayo is a good addition for the team and the Mavs put together a very solid offseason after looking like they might be devastated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Redemption
    My comments on Mayo aren't that he's bad. It's that some people put him on a pedestal as some sort of savior of the Mavs future when Dirk was gone and overhyped him BAD based on 20 games. I think Mayo is a good addition for the team and the Mavs put together a very solid offseason after looking like they might be devastated.

There's no very solid with this team...They did a lot of great things but Kaman (who is still very good and playing great) is not the fit for this team, especially with Dirk back...maybe in the Javale role, but the Mavericks should have been going after Omer Asik. Cuban is too busy looking for Dwight again next year.

And Mayo had them doing great for a while. He's not being overhyped. He's been overhyped since he was a kid. His play this year is proof he's got a lot to offer...and the early year from will be back. Had Dirk come back earlier, he'd have been better off.

Banned

I would think Collison+Mayo+Brand+Kaman additions would be paying off WAY more. They basically got a legit starting 5 younger than their previous one this summer.

That team wasn't repeating and Cuban did the right thing trying to bring in Dwight/Deron/CP3 or whatever legitimate superstar they could get.

And the NBA isn't built on hope, Dirk? Maybe he's never heard of the Draft Lottery. With the new CBA, building a contender through FA is going to be near impossible, which leaves the Draft Lottery as most teams only hope.

The truth is, Cuban should trade Dirk, because he's the one holding the franchise back. In the NBA, you either want to be really good, or really bad... and with a team of Dirk + vets, you almost insure mediocrity. Trust me, coming from a long-time Warriors fan, the last thing you want to do is finish 9th or 10th every season.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...ves-build-hope

Dirk for Green and Fab Melo, Boston can strengthen their run these last few years and Dallas can begin rebuilding.
    Dirk, PP and KG frontline?
    GOAT.

People here have very short memories.

1. That Mavs 2011 run was the perfect dream scenario. Nobody expected them to win, nevertheless, make it past the first round. Fact is, they needed Super Saiyan Dirk and Terry + massive chokejobs by Oklahoma City and Lebron to make it. You can't bank on those things happening every time.

2. The Mavs started slowly after the lockout. Even if they got Chandler back, I don't think they can contend.

3. People were shitting their pants of Dallas possibility of having Dirk+Deron+Dwight.

Let's hope Dirk doesn't fade into retirement being stuck on a mediocre team.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina

1. That Mavs 2011 run was the perfect dream scenario. Nobody expected them to win, nevertheless, make it past the first round. Fact is, they needed Super Saiyan Dirk and Terry + massive chokejobs by Oklahoma City and Lebron to make it. You can't bank on those things happening every time.

2. The Mavs started slowly after the lockout. Even if they got Chandler back, I don't think they can contend.

3. People were shitting their pants of Dallas possibility of having Dirk+Deron+Dwight.
    1. is only half true. Sure, people were surprised by the Mavs' success, because their record wan't that great and because the publich perception was they lost their second best player in Butler (which probably was a blessing in disguise).

However, Dallas (with Dirk) had been playing the best basketball throughout the whole season, which was only masked by Dirk missing 9 games. Dallas went 2-7 through those 89 games, so they rushed Dirk back and lost the next one as well while Dirk was still workig back into normal shape (shooting 2-7 against Memphis in 15 minutes of playing time).

So, if you take those 10 games with a 2-8 record off, you get a 55-18 record with healthy Dirk which means winning 75.3 of their games. Which would've been good for about 62 wins - and the best record in the league, tied with Chicago (but in the tougher conference) and one game ahead of the Spurs.
    Last edited by brain drain; 01-07-2013 at 09:35 AM.

I rule the local playground Floppy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Mark is one of the most intelligent men in the world.
    In his spare time he works on combining relativity and quantum theory.

I don't understand why this is so complicated. Cuban's reasons for not re-signing Chandler had to do with Dwight Howard. You sign Chandler and if Dwight is available then you look to trade Chandler...and that's assuming Howard shows interest.

Kidd expired this past Summer so he didn't have to re-sign Kidd. Kidd could have expired and Cuban then could have pursued Williams. It was a dream scenario for Dallas but Cuban got more obsessed with having the very thing he stuck his nose up at in Miami.

When they lost Chandler and then lost out on Howard (the minute he signed on for the year) he should have had his sights set on Omer Asik. Cuban knows basketball. He should have been looking in that direction. Sign Asik and you have the perfect guy for Dirk. You know how to build your team. You signed Kaman (who's a very good player and is playing very well) because he took a 1year deal. Did Cuban even go after Deron Williams? No, he did not. I bet if Howard was still available he would have wanted Deron. He sees the bigger splash in getting Paul next year. Chris Paul is not going to Dallas and that's a guarantee. Why would he leave the Clippers? If he does, he's going back home. Not to Dallas.

Collison was a great pickup and he's been good for them. But too much rotating and not enough direction, in a conference that is becoming more and more difficult.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Rekindled
    boozer+deng+teague+butler+1st for dirk+marion.

Noah
    Dirk
    Marion
    Bellineli
    Rose
    Get it DONE ...

If Rose (god willing) comes back to form, along with Dirk for a season or two ... that team can win a championship IMO

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticWang
    Let's hope Dirk doesn't fade into retirement being stuck on a mediocre team.
    me too Dirk still has maybe 2-3 years of good play from him.

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    No way you bring that team. As a Mavs fan that spends quite a bit of money every year on the Mavs product...I'd be pissed as hell right now if we were stuck with Chandlers albatross contract.

I understand Dirks frustration but he is the only loser in this deal, they weren't beating Miami last year with that same team.

Chandler's earning that contract. It ends in 2 years. I think he can continue at this level for that long. He'll only be 32.

But, I'm not mad at Mark for blowing it up. They had a nice chance to get a superstar last year, and I'm sure will lure someone soon. The truth is, I think he did a fine job building a team this offseason, Dirk's injury simply killed the season.

They had basically a brand new roster, and their superstar still is trying to get into the mix and isn't totally back. They are doomed and were from the start.

The run is over, but it can possibly re-start next year. The only way Mark can be blamed is if he allows himself to be bullied into making a bad move. If he can trade Dirk at the deadline (with Dirk's obvious blessing), that may be a good thing. But, when he decides to spend that money eventually and commit it to a player or 2...just needs to make sure its the right moves.

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina

That team had everything it needed to win a championship. It really wasn't as big a fluke as people want to make it out to be. It was a team perfectly built around Dirk.

They had great 3pt shooters, hitting open 3pt shots. Great ball movement spear headed by Dirk drawing doubles, and also JKidd and the 3pg rotation of Kidd/Terry/Barea. And they played good defense, lead by Chandler anchoring their matchup zone. A truly complete team. OKC and MIA were and are jumpshooting teams just like them, they just weren't as good at it or as good defensively that postseason. And give an MVP player like Dirk a lot of single coverage (because of the 3pt threat) and he will kill you.

They weren't some team that came from no where, they were a 57 win regular season team. That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
    They weren't some team that came from no where, they were a 57 win regular season team. That's awesome.
    Yup but my point is that they weren't favorites to win at all. And had they kept Tyson, wouldn't be favorites to repeat in especially coming off a lockout.

Basically Cuban thought the chance to become elite the next 5 yrs >>>>>>>>>>>>> the slight chance to repeat. You can't fault him for that