I don't get picked last at the park anymore davidenk0's Avatar

Default Re: did shaq gain weight?

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    damn you can see his age in that photo.
    And his belly.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
    That image is always amazing. Ewing and O'Neal look like out of shape midgests next to a mid 50es Wilt. Simply Amazing!
    The photo is tilted in Wilt's favor there, Shaq actually looks taller there due to his much bigger head(though in basketball terms, Wilt would probably be longer because head and neck are considered wasted height in basketball).

Root Of All Evil

That image is always amazing. Ewing and O'Neal look like out of shape midgests next to a mid 50es Wilt. Simply Amazing!
    The **** are you looking. None of those three look out of shape, and none of them look like midgets.

3-time NBA All-Star

Not sure how much, if any height, that Wilt might have lost by age 50, or so...but IMHO, and disputing even Chamberlain himself, who claimed he was "only" 7-1 1/16...I truly believe Wilt was at least 7-2 to 7-2 1/2. And, by extension, Kareem at perhaps 7-3. I also believe Shaq to be taller than 7-1, based on his height advantage over Robinson and Divac, which was easily an inch or more. And Ewing does look considerably shorter than either.

I recall the 71-72 NBA-ABA All-Star game, and before the game started, the commentators mentioned that Wilt was noticeably taller than 7-2 Gilmore...and that was even with his afro. And, of course, during the game he not only looked taller, and much bigger, but he easily outjumped him, as well. In addition, in their limited minutes on the floor, Wilt pushed him around for an easy dunk, and skied to swat two of his shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    The **** are you looking. None of those three look out of shape, and none of them look like midgets.

Seriously. Put 99-01 Shaq out there next to Chamberlain and retake that picture.

Banned

It really hurts seeing Shaq like that. Well it is hrting for quiet a couple of years now actually. If Shaq wasn't such a lazy ass he could have been a legit GOAT contender. Even now at age 38 he could still dropp around 22/11 easily if he only was in a bteer physical condition. At around 330 pounds Shaq would still be the best big man in the game easily.
    Imagine Shaq would have stayed around 320pounds for the most of his career. Stats wise he would be the GOAT most certainly.
    I hadn't really thought about it, but thats probably true. Especially if he kept his weight down around his Orlando weight his whole career. Considering how well he played in Phoenix, (probably mostly because of Phoenix's training staff) he definitely could've been a 20-10 guy at this point.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    I hadn't really thought about it, but thats probably true. Especially if he kept his weight down around his Orlando weight his whole career. Considering how well he played in Phoenix, (probably mostly because of Phoenix's training staff) he definitely could've been a 20-10 guy at this point.
    18 years in the league even at 320ish, he wouldn't be a 20/10 guy. Last year in Phoenix he played great, but averaged 18/8 on 61% shooting, he just wouldn't be playing enough minutes at his age to average 20/10. I mean loo at Duncan, he's much younger, was always probably around 260-270ish and he only played 31 mpg this season. It's hard for a big man's body to hold up, and keep in mind that Duncan also wasn't as physical as Shaq.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    18 years in the league even at 320ish, he wouldn't be a 20/10 guy. Last year in Phoenix he played great, but averaged 18/8 on 61% shooting, he just wouldn't be playing enough minutes at his age to average 20/10. I mean loo at Duncan, he's much younger, was always probably around 260-270ish and he only played 31 mpg this season. It's hard for a big man's body to hold up, and keep in mind that Duncan also wasn't as physical as Shaq.
    Here again...Wilt is the exception. At age 36 he averaged 43.2 mpg...and then in the playoffs, in his final season, he averaged 47.1. Of course BOTH were BELOW his career averages of 45.2 mpg during the regular season, and 47.2 mpg in his 160 career post-season games. In addition to his staggering rebounding and FG% marks, as well as 1st-team all-defense, in his last season, he probably led the NBA in blocked shots. I believe Psileas had some documentation of around 7 bpg.

And in Wilt's FINAL NBA game he put up a 23-21 game.

I always admired Kareem, who was still among the best players in the league in late 30's, and Shaq, who, as I said before, has had a long and brilliant career...but IMHO Chamberlain was truly a one-of-kind athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Here is footage of Chamberlain's game five of the '72 Finals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMyFm...eature=related

He was 35 at the time, and had just come off a sensational game six against Kareem in the WCF's. In that WCF's, Wilt blocked 15 of Kareem's "sky-hooks", and generally held his own against Abdul-Jabbar in the playoffs that season. AND, Kareem was at his statistical peak that year, as well. So, Wilt, at age 35, and playing on a surgically repaired knee, (and with arthritis in the other) battled an 11 year younger Kareem, in his prime, to something along the lines of a draw. In fact, Sport Magazine hailed it as a "decisive" win for Wilt over Kareem. Wilt would go on to win the Finals MVP that year, as well.

One can only wonder what a Chamberlain, at his peak, circa 66-68, would have done against a prime Kareem (or anyone else.)

Incidently, Wilt was offered LEGITIMATE NBA contracts in his 40's...and even into his 50's! Larry Brown witnessed Wilt take over a summer league game in 1980 that featured Magic and Marques Johnson...and Wilt was in his mid-40's at the time. A few years later Kiki Van de Wege witnessed Chamberlain overpower 7-4 Mark Eaton, and throw down a thunderous dunk on him...and Wilt was in his late 40's at the time.

In any case, there has probably never been another athlete who was in better shape in his 50's, than Chamberlain.
    Why does Wilt step a foot behind the ft line when he shoots FTs?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Exactly, last year he averaged 18-8, and played comparable to many of his earlier seasons. I think that without doubt, if he played around 335 his whole career, hed easily be a 20-10 guy that year, and maybe even this year. I mean, why wouldn't he be, especially if he was the focal point of the offense like he was last year, and Kareem was into his late 30's.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Exactly, last year he averaged 18-8, and played comparable to many of his earlier seasons. I think that without doubt, if he played around 335 his whole career, hed easily be a 20-10 guy that year, and maybe even this year. I mean, why wouldn't he be, especially if he was the focal point of the offense like he was last year, and Kareem was into his late 30's.
    Shaq last season was not comparable to his earlier seasons and the reason why he wouldn't be a 20/10 guy is injuries and stamina. I mean even at 335 throughout his career(and he was only noticeably more than that a few seasons), that'd still be a hell of a lot of pounding on his knees considering how he use to jump, he'd still be getting hacked nighly and as I pointed out, look at how many other 7 footers who are smaller than Shaq have struggled with injuries.

It's weird. vs the Bulls he looked thin, but if it's possible it looks like he put on weight SINCE then. He does look heavier again, but not as heavy as he was at the beginning of the season.

-Smak