Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Laker News: Kobe Signs 2 Year Extension

[QUOTE]The Los Angeles Lakers and Kobe Bryant like each other. They really do. And want to stick together. And have put it in writing. General Manager Mitch Kupchak announced today that the Lakers have signed Bryant to a two-year contract extension. According to ESPN reporter Chris Broussard, the deal will pay Bryant $23.5 million in the 2014-15 season, and $25 million in the 2015-16..

Default Re: Kobe Signs 2 Year Extension

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Kobe definitely didn't take the paycut we were hoping for. It looks like he won't be getting another ring before he retires. That's way too much money. He'll still be one of the highest paid players in the league and that won't leave the team the cap space they need to go out and get a couple other max players. I would think this means they'll probably let Gasol go too.
    If you look at it closely, this is NOT a happy day for Lakers fans. I tried hard to buy it, but I just cannot. I will look at it from Laker fan perspective and not Kobe fan perspective (I'm both).

1) Kobe hasn't played a single game off a HUGE injury. Why would you agree to a blockbuster extension at this point in time? At least wait till he plays a few weeks. You want to see what sort of shape he is in and how his leg is.

2) Lakers have $36 mill on the books now into the summer. Before, it was $12.6 mill. That means less spending money next summer. Why not wait till we know who is willing to come to LA before agreeing to terms with Kobe? He said he is a Laker for life so its not like he would go sign with another team at 36..

3) Kobe is 36. This makes Kobe the HIGHEST PAID player in nba next year. More than LeBron/Durant/CP3/Love/Wade/Dwight/etc. Is he still in his prime? No. Market value is important as we go into next summer. Nobody would even offer Kobe ANYTHING close to what Lakers offered.

4) CBA gets much stricter when over the cap starting next summer. Lakers can afford all and any luxury taxes, but this will still limit how much Lakers will spend. They won't go up to paying $250m+ (salary + luxury taxes). That is asking for too much

Huge mistake that will end Kobe's career without another ring and Lakers without room to build a championship team for next 2 years. I lost respect for Lakers front-office and one Kobe Bryant. This is a very disappointing day for Lakers fans and for the Lakers organization
    Last edited by bladefd; 11-25-2013 at 04:29 PM.

NBA lottery pick

I agree with all the above points. I see no reason for getting the extension done already. Sure the Lakers FO has seen Kobe in practices and they probably know a bit about his health but let him play for a bit this season at least. I also see no reason to make Kobe the highest paid player in the NBA. The other superstars of the league realize that being the highest paid doesn't get you help to win. I'm a huge Kobe fan, but all of this makes no sense to me. I think this really makes it difficult to put together a championship contender.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

When taking into account his age, Achilles injury to be blunt of all the stupid things management has done lately this might be arguably the worst, despite liking kobe, I'm a lakers fan first and this by far reduces what id hoped for in terms of salary space , tempted to say egomaniacal and greedy move by kobe but if management are dumb enough cant blame him solely. I was hoping maybe something like ten, fifteen maximum, 20+? I wouldn't describe it as a happy day whatsoever, oh well management keep his merchandise selling, hope its worth that ridiculous figure, would prefer no loyalty from managements perspective than blind loyalty. Whoever decided to extend now and whoever did the negotiations should resign with public shame for such stupidity.
    Last edited by Lakers91; 11-25-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Excellent posts guys

The only chance we have is if we miss the playoffs and get a top 3 pick, plus add a top 2 free agent......then pick up ring chasers on the cheap.

Bye bye Pau, Bye Bye Nash......done deal.

Somehow I wonder if this is a reflection of Kobe's skepticism of Jimmy Buss and 'Antoni. Can you imagine if Kobe took an enormous cut and then Jimmy did more idiotic things, couldn't pick up a star, we get a bad draft pick and kept 'Antoni? How stupid would Kobe look then? He would be kicking himself in the head.........gotta wonder about this factor.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    Excellent posts guys

The only chance we have is if we miss the playoffs and get a top 3 pick, plus add a top 2 free agent......then pick up ring chasers on the cheap.

Bye bye Pau, Bye Bye Nash......done deal.

Somehow I wonder if this is a reflection of Kobe's skepticism of Jimmy Buss and 'Antoni. Can you imagine if Kobe took an enormous cut and then Jimmy did more idiotic things, couldn't pick up a star, we get a bad draft pick and kept 'Antoni? How stupid would Kobe look then? He would be kicking himself in the head.........gotta wonder about this factor.
    The downfall of nepotism...when you pick the idiot of your relatives to take over, kind of hard for Jim to be overthrown when his dad to memory said he wanted him to run the company (although Jim could have just drugged Jerry and told him to say whatever he liked, wonder if that could be brought up in international court I doubt it so that's a pity).

Well in the more than a decade I've been watching the Lakers, I feel both the least secure and probably the most disgusted as a fan at both certain select players but more so at the stupidity of management. Jim's great big thing he likes to claim is scouting Andrew Bynum (couldn't have stayed just a scout?) which got us Dwight well he's gone, so please tell me his great big achievement in the last few years that makes up for the James Dolan like destructive path he's leading the Lakers on?

Possibly the worst dealing in negotiating history all but ever, Kobe has never played for anyone but the Lakers and previously has said along with Mitch he's a Laker for life, it's years gone by since he requested to leave to either LAC or the Bulls to memory. I mean for goodness sake, for that amount in my opinion all things considered you play hard ball as much as possible, 20 million a year + isn't hard ball that's bowing to his every whim, no offense to Kobe but I don't like it at all but I can understand it, but management seem to have just saw the first negotiating figure and said yep we'll take it and sign you back. Who knows what role Kobe has played in all of it, he seemed to praise the D'Antoni hiring in public (but in private he might have said to management I want Phil) and just said that to make him look happy with management who knows, or he could have been all for it. Just a woeful day and no doubt with this management excluding Mitch worse days to come. The amount although I'd rather Kobe stay is inexcusable to be honest, at that amount you say we want to preserve cap space we don't want you taking a giant massive selfish heave at it again, and you offer reasonable I think 10-15 was, and then you scoff at the offer he obviously signed for, literally scoff and say yeah you can retire or leave before we pay you that for goodness sake. This is not a young 25 year old Kobe, it's a 36 year old coming off arguably one of the worst injuries a sportsman can suffer, and you offer him 23 million and 25 million? Management needs IQ testing to where if you are in the bottom 1% of the population or mentally challenged (like it seems some of them are) you aren't allowed in a position of power, my god, well that's my rant over but I feel no better.
    Last edited by Lakers91; 11-25-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    That is also why Kobe+Lakers should have waited. By simply waiting, Kobe would know what sort of plan Buss/Lakers FO have going forward once FA starts. Lakers would also know where they stand as far as the FA roster signings is concerned going forward. If it is a championship plan, Kobe could agree to a paycut. If not, he can take his money. They can still discuss and negotiate, but just don't agree to final terms till after FA starts in summer.

Unfortunately, it points to another issue. Kobe had no intention of taking a paycut; he still thinks he is the best player in NBA and should be paid accordingly. The Lakers rushed it due to SOME reason that defies all logic, which I will not speculate on (knowing Jimmy Buss' past insane blunders - i.e. telling Mitch to wake up Phil at 3am in morning to tell him they going with D'antoni on Saturday after telling Phil he has till monday to think about it OR waiting 1 week to quickly rush hire Mike Brown OR firing Mike Brown ~5 games into new season ). Sorry, I am only capable of thinking with logic.

I'm at a loss for further words..
    Last edited by bladefd; 11-25-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    That is also why Kobe+Lakers should have waited. By simply waiting, Kobe would know what sort of plan Buss/Lakers FO have going forward once FA starts. Lakers would also know where they stand as far as the FA roster signings is concerned going forward. If it is a championship plan, Kobe could agree to a paycut. If not, he can take his money. They can still discuss and negotiate, but just don't agree to final terms till after FA starts in summer.

Unfortunately, it points to another issue. Kobe had no intention of taking a paycut; he still thinks he is the best player in NBA and should be paid accordingly. The Lakers rushed it due to SOME reason that defies all logic, which I will not speculate on (knowing Jimmy Buss' past insane blunders - i.e. telling Mitch to wake up Phil at 3am in morning to tell him they going with D'antoni ). Sorry, I am only capable of thinking with logic.

I'm at a loss for further words..
    I've now turned to wondering whether Jim Buss is as dumb as his decisions make out or whether he's just slightly below average in intelligence instead but at this stage I'm still going towards moron. Well he's born into money so it doesn't really matter, still having fun with dad's money and corporation/organisation with no idea how to do it himself.

shhhhhhh

The Lakers had space to sign 2 max contracts next summer, even if Kobe took a 15 million dollar paycut as opposed to the 10 million dollar pay cut he took they still would only have space for 2 max contracts.

So Kobe is one of those max contract players for next summer, as he should be, clearly Lakers staff have seen enough of him in practice to know this is a realistic contract. It actually helps the Lakers to get this done now. If they had let him become a free agent then there would have been a 33 million dollar cap hold on the books and the Lakers would not have the space to sign another max contract next summer.

In 2015 the Lakers if they continue to play their cards the way the seem to be headed they will have the space for a third very large contract depends on where the cap is set but it's expected to be upwards of 66 million which could create space for a third max. Either way there's room for spending some decent money

That's how you build in today's NBA get two or three max contracts and fill up the roster with with vets willing to play for the vets min.

Now to the part that's going to make most of you cringe...

Shame on Laker fans expecting Kobe to take a drastic paycut (as if leaving 25 million the next two years on the table is peanuts...lol) after all the years of Kobe proving doubters wrong. all the naysayers saying the Lakers will never win with Kobe as a second option.. Then 3 titles later they said Kobe would never make the playoffs without Shaq one trip to the finals and it's well ok he made the finals but he'll never win a title without a dominant big man.. 2 titles later and on and on it goes, never win a scoring title never win an MVP blah blah blah to now it's he'll never play again he's lucky to walk his career is over.

Damn people how many times does Kobe have to prove people wrong for some of you to get it through your skulls this guy is special?

You know that huge Time Warner TV contract that's going to allow the Lakers to go deep into the luxury tax after the reset to pay all these max contracts people want to collect? That contract was built on Kobe's back. those 5,000 dollar a game courtside seats, yeah he had a bit to do with that too... I read an article in Forbes last summer that he's generated close to half a billion dollars for the Lakers in his 17 years

For 17 years this guy has done nothing but bled purple and gold, come into camp ready to go, challenged everyone from Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak to Shaq, Pau and everyone in between to be the best they can be. No excuses he's played through injury after injury, jumped over every damn hurdle that could be thrown in front of him and always delivered...

Every time you turn on that Laker game, every time you plunked down a couple hundred bucks for tickets you know one thing, if he's on the floor he's going to give it his best or die trying... now some of you are whining that he won't play for a deep deep discount or are pissed off that the Lakers actually recognize his value to the franchise for now in the future and in the past....

Kobe wouldn't be taking this contract if he didn't believe he'd be able to be Kobe and contribute on a high level or if he doubted the front office would be able to make it worth his effort to fight through the injury and put in the effort to get back to being the Black Mamba.. His signing this contract is the Lakers saying we have faith in you and it's Kobe saying I have faith that the Lakers have a solid plan in place. If anything you should have learned by now Kobe is all about winning and he doesn't take half efforts from anyone including the front office lightly...

Kind of sad after all these years he has to prove himself all over.. bad enough he has to prove it to the league and all the normal naysayers but Laker fans themselves.. geesh gimme a break
    Last edited by gts; 11-25-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    The Lakers had space to sign 2 max contracts next summer, even if Kobe took a 15 million dollar paycut as opposed to the 10 million dollar pay cut he took they still would only have space for 2 max contracts.
    But Lakers would have 5 mill extra left to add elsewhere. For instance.. Instead of signing a $5m veteran, they could add the extra 5mill to instead get a $10m veteran that might be slightly better. That might be the difference between a Mo Williams and a Kyle Lowry just for example purposes. Neither are max contracts, but the difference between the two role-players could be championship-contender versus one that is not.

So Kobe is one of those max contract players for next summer, as he should be, clearly Lakers staff have seen enough of him in practice to know this is a realistic contract. It actually helps the Lakers to get this done now. If they had let him become a free agent then there would have been a 33 million dollar cap hold on the books and the Lakers would not have the space to sign another max contract next summer.
    Do explain the cap hold part. I thought that if you waived a player's bird rights, he would be a full free-agent and off the books. Why would there still be a 33m cap hold even after waiving the bird rights? If you do waive bird rights, you can still sign the player to a brand new contract, correct?

In 2015 the Lakers if they continue to play their cards the way the seem to be headed they will have the space for a third max contract.
    That's how you build in today's NBA get two or three max contracts and fill up the roster with with vets willing to play for the vets min.
    I don't think that a 3rd max deal in 2015 sounds realistic. Kobe's 25m + 2nd max at 20m = 45m. That leaves 14.5m (estimating ~59.5m cap in 2015, 58.6m this season). Not enough for 3rd max contract. Plus, remember, you don't build a contender team to 1yr deals. Usually, stars or borderline-stars come when they are guaranteed multi-year deals. Lakers will not be under the cap in 2015 unless if Kobe/Lakers are fine with rebuilding with 1yr deals next summer.

I won't touch the rest of what you said. As I initially said, I won't look at this from a Kobe fan perspective. I only want to look at it from Lakers fan perspective going forward. As a Kobe fan, I always thought he was a beast playing thru injuries and overcoming the naysayers. Then again, this is 36yr old Kobe we're talking about in 2013 coming off a MAJOR injury not a 28yr old Kobe in 2005 still in his prime.. If Lakers are paying Kobe off his past history, sorry that makes no sense to me. There is a saying in NFL that NOBODY is exempt from (not even the great Tom Brady) - "What have you done for me lately?" I think that applies here too.

Remember, Lakers success/failure is judged by championships. There is no middle-ground. And team over individual. Always.
    Last edited by bladefd; 11-25-2013 at 08:45 PM.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    I don't think that a 3rd max deal in 2015 sounds realistic. Kobe's 25m + 2nd max at 20m = 45m. That leaves 14.5m (estimating ~59.5m cap in 2015, 58.6m this season). Not enough for 3rd max contract.
    I reworded that part I wrote but the projected cap in 2015 is expected to be north of 65 million because of the way the TV money kicks in and natural growth of the league.

As to the rest anyone who knows me knows I've never been a Kobe fanboy. I've always wanted whats best for the Lakers and I'm more than comfortable with the way things are progressing/unfolding

Shame on Laker fans expecting Kobe to take a drastic paycut (as if leaving 25 million the next two years on the table is peanuts...lol) after all the years of Kobe proving doubters wrong. all the naysayers saying the Lakers will never win with Kobe as a second option.. Then 3 titles later they said Kobe would never make the playoffs without Shaq one trip to the finals and it's well ok he made the finals but he'll never win a title without a dominant big man.. 2 titles later and on and on it goes, never win a scoring title never win an MVP blah blah blah to now it's he'll never play again he's lucky to walk his career is over.
    Never really had the ability to feel much shame; guilt or remorse

In 2015 the Lakers if they continue to play their cards the way the seem to be headed they will have the space for a third very large contract depends on where the cap is set but it's expected to be upwards of 66 million which could create space for a third max. Either way there's room for spending some decent money

Damn people how many times does Kobe have to prove people wrong for some of you to get it through your skulls this guy is special?

You know that huge Time Warner TV contract that's going to allow the Lakers to go deep into the luxury tax after the reset to pay all these max contracts people want to collect? That contract was built on Kobe's back. those 5,000 dollar a game courtside seats, yeah he had a bit to do with that too... I read an article in Forbes last summer that he's generated close to half a billion dollars for the Lakers in his 17 yearsk
    I slightly feel the need to add what I said before, off the court I would like the move to a degree, Kobe brings in far more revenue overall and to the brand than what he takes out, 43 million in comparison to 500 million or 1 billion or however much the Lakers eventual bottom line profit eventuates out to be. I would have simply rathered him take 12-15 and then use the extra 5 million or 10 million on other pieces, it doesn't need to be on a max player, just someone that can add something, 5 million could be enough to sign a good player or a valuable role player, assuming they do indeed sign another max contract.

Has he done a lot for the franchise? Of course, simply because I don't believe he should have got such a deal does not mean I believe all he has done for the Lakers should be wiped from the history books, of course not I simply don't particularly like it in comparison to what other players have done I.E the big 3 to play together taking pay cuts, Kobe did take a slight one I suppose but anyway.

I would have rathered to have 3 max or big contracts that does not involve Kobe, am I a Kobe fan? Not really I'm a Laker fan, am I thankful for what Kobe has done bringing 2 titles with Pau and 3 with being a vital cog led by Shaq most definitely, but I don't place him above the franchise or any for that matter, never have and never will. You don't have to like your teams best player or even have him as your favorite player to justify supporting your team but you do have to support them on the court of course.

I don't not value Kobe at all, I simply don't like investing so heavily in a player that is 36 years old or turning 36 not 25, not 28, not even 30, 36 at the time when so far he's done amazing just to be continually elite at an age where most are struggling to stay in the league or relevant at all, you are investing so much into a player that is coming off arguably one of the worst injuries a sporting athlete can have and at his age you make it sound like he will be the exact same Kobe? I simply don't think he will be, is that harsh? No I consider it realistic, you can't just act as if he's immortal or inhumane, he has an astonishing desire and will but he is still just that though human and mortal, his time in the league is finite, I don't believe you can invest so heavily and potentially waste another big contract on someone else by paying so much for someone who is 36 and coming off an achilles tear/rupture.

Special of course he is, he's a top 10 player ever, I simply don't want to just wipe it under the carpet or sweep under the rug to oh he's Kobe he might be 36 but an achilles injury won't be nothing to him his mentality will make up for such an injury, but will it? I don't care how much you put in some things have a lasting effect no matter who you are, Wilt Chamberlain the largest freak of nature the NBA has seen was never the same after a knee injury albeit technology has advanced, the point more so is that no matter how good you are you will not always be that good and injuries can play a role in it. I simply think it's too big of an injury to bank on the same Kobe or justify paying so much to him if it is for the Kobe that was when no one really has an idea on what Kobe will be like, he could put up 28-6-5 for all I know but it's a large risk to have to be stuck with such a contract if he is not the same Kobe Bryant that he was prior to the achilles injury or when he was younger. I apologise if it sounds disrespectful I expect that most will say it is but oh well I consider it realistic.

I simply don't believe he needed to ask for such a big contract, he doesn't have to prove anything to me, I'm a Laker fan one of hundreds of millions I'm no one special to him, I never said he had to prove anything to me? I just don't know if this large contract is worth it compared to if he had have signed a contract at 10 million or even 15 million I'd have been okay with, but I cannot justify based on the on court Kobe alone 23-25 million a year because of the uncertainty no matter if it's Kobe or not, an achilles injury no matter who you are and at that age you will not be the exact same (speaking as someone who has already had achilles issues at freaking 20 I'm not the same as I was at 17 or 18 before my achilles got hurt)

You seem to think I'm hating on what Kobe was? I think I'm more so disliking what he is being paid to be now, management seem to think it is the Kobe of old, at 30 or in his prime you could probably justify it he got two titles with Gasol for that contract well done money earnt definitely, but this will not be the same Kobe he will I hope still be great, but 23 million is more than virtually everyone in the league, maybe if he was still the pure and simple best in the game and younger I'd be happy with it but I believe this will hurt cap space that could have been used for pieces or that if we say max out Melo could hurt in negotiating another, it could be the difference between offering 20 million to a love in 2015-2016 or 10 million and he laughs and walks off (whether that is correct or not it's just an example that came off the top of my head).

When you add it all up I consider it a large risk to pay so much for someone no matter who they are when you are an elite athlete at any age coming off an achilles injury + at 36 then I consider it a bold but very risky move because it's not like if he's drastically worse they can just ship the contract off straight away. I also don't know how other stars will feel now about coming to the Lakers knowing Kobe is still being paid so much, how will Melo exactly feel or LeBron? Although both might have been low chances they in my mind are all but gone now, seeing Kobe paid so much they'd be almost like I can't compete with that no thanks.

Massive value off the court to the brand question marks what in the future he will be like on it, just think they will be paying 25 million fast forward 2 years to someone who will be 38 or turning 38? There won't be many at all making near that much money and the one that is no matter who you are players and athletes won't be the same at 38 or at least it's very rare that they will be.

As Blade put it although I don't entirely agree it is a bit of what have you done for me lately, it's not the past it's the present and future, and what he did most recently was snap his achilles after an age defying year, on a contract of 30 million odd, people thought it was amazing he was contributing so much at 35, now you think he can do similar a year older but more so off an achilles? It's a huge ask and a huge gamble as far as I'm concerned, whether Kobe or someone else sorry it's just my opinion on it whether it's blasphemous or not I'm not really bothered.

With all that said I hope he comes back phenomenally and my rant is all for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    Never really had the ability to feel much shame; guilt or remorse
    Great response!!!!!
    Last edited by DKLaker; 11-26-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    I've now turned to wondering whether Jim Buss is as dumb as his decisions make out or whether he's just slightly below average in intelligence instead but at this stage I'm still going towards moron. Well he's born into money so it doesn't really matter, still having fun with dad's money and corporation/organisation with no idea how to do it himself.
    I know quite a bit about Jimmy, have known about him for a very long time and I warned everyone that he is a complete moron. Jeanie was the only one capable of effectively running the team......but no, we got stuck with silver spoon, daddy's money spoiled brat.

I'm quite certain that Rob (Kobe's agent) pushed to get this deal done right now......WHY you may ask? Because if Kobe were to re-injure himself or have a career ending injury he may never see another dime. It was brilliant work by a crafty agent.......easy pickings considering Buss has the IQ of a flea.
    Rob probably told Jimmy if the deal wasn't done now that Kobe would insist on the full amount. Now Jimmy thinks he's a genius for negotiating a pay cut

No way a responsible owner does this deal before seeing him play AT LEAST half the season.......no way!