Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default 7 Teams Passed On Drummond, Remember That When...

you overpay for your next big man that gives you nothing on the court. Seems like every year people pass on talented big men to take marginal guards and then wonder why they don't get better.

Let's also not forget that 27-28 teams passed on Perry Jones....unless that knee 100 percent would require micro-fracture surgery in the future then it was stupid.

These kids are blank slates and you can develop them with the right coaching.

Default Re: 7 Teams Passed On Drummond, Remember That When...

Michael Olowokandi

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Michael Olowokandi
    I read an old Sports Illustrated issue from when he got drafted saying that he could be the next Bill Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Michael Olowokandi
    wasn't as naturally gifted as Drummond and came in after 4 years of college basketball.

but I'll give you a better comparison....Bynum

8 teams passed on Drummund..............I'm not giving the Hornets a pass....

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    wasn't as naturally gifted as Drummond and came in after 4 years of college basketball.

but I'll give you a better comparison....Bynum
    not a good comparison at at all, bynum is very slow and looks awkward running up and down . Drummond is freakishly fast and runs like a guard

Quote Originally Posted by Rekindled
    not a good comparison at at all, bynum is very slow and looks awkward running up and down . Drummond is freakishly fast and runs like a guard
    both were young raw big men when they entered the league at a very young age. Bynum had a better natural bball iq but both were raw.

If the Lakers somehow got Drummond, I have no doubt that he would be an all star in 5 years.

It seems like teams are scared of taking a project. Drummond has all star potential, in this weak era of centers he could be dominate. He is a legit 7', 280, and freakishly quick and fast. Sure he can bust but it's a risk worth taking, instead of drafting some guard who's ceiling is a role player.

What exactly makes Drummond so "talented"? Is it just because he is athletic? The dude can barely play basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    What exactly makes Drummond so "talented"? Is it just because he is athletic? The dude can barely play basketball.
    yes. that is what makes him naturally talented. Remember that he is only 18 years old!! Guy is a blank slate and has all the tools to be something special. If you are good organization you can mold him into an all star because he has so many tools that other players don't have.

Put him on LA and hire Kareem and I'm confident that he becomes an all star. Put him with Coach Pop and I'm confident he becomes an all star. Guy has everything.

NBA Superstar

To play devil's advocate, Darko Milicic also had all the tools. I'm quite hopeful Drummond will exceed Darko's level.

Banned

Stuff like this isn't universal. More often than not it's circumstantial. Players like Bynum stepped into a perfect situation, where a door was left wide open for the 'next great center' in LA. Do you think he would have developed into this kind of player had he not been brought along by Kareem and instead had been drafted by the Bobcats? The kids motivation and maturity has come under fire enough as it is. Imagine him in a less-than-ideal playing situation elsewhere.

A perfect example is DeAndre Jordan. He has the natural ability to be a great center but he's hardly improved from the raw offensive player he was coming into the league. Had he gone to a team with greater expectations and a dedicated focus on bringing him along as a project player, it's safe to assume that he'd AT LEAST be making shots outside of the paint right now. Even if he had a jump shot that was broken, that would be some progress.

Nevertheless, simply drafting size isn't always a sure thing. For every Bynum there's a Olowokandi, or a Thabeet. I'm sure lots of GM's still had that Thabeet pick a few years back fresh in their minds when considering Drummond.

Boston drafted Fab Melo, so at least there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    To play devil's advocate, Darko Milicic also had all the tools. I'm quite hopeful Drummond will exceed Darko's level.
    -Darko didn't have Drummond's tools. Athletically, he is something special. I watched a lot of his games and the tools are there. He just has to spend more time playing the game.
    -You weren't passing up on 5 star prospects for Drummond like Darko. For example Toronto took Terrance Ross, whose ceiling is a bad starter, over Drummond.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    -Darko didn't have Drummond's tools. Athletically, he is something special. I watched a lot of his games and the tools are there. He just has to spend more time playing the game.
    -You weren't passing up on 5 star prospects for Drummond like Darko. For example Toronto took Terrance Ross, whose ceiling is a bad starter, over Drummond.
    Just curious, do you always refer to athleticism and size as tools?

Local High School Star mrhoopfan's Avatar

Instead of waiting 6-7 years into his career, his agent needs to have him go work with Olajuwon right now