Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Kobe Bryant wants old-school D back..

haven't seen a thread on this yet..

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=4871616

Do you guys think it will ever happen again? Maybe if we ever lose the idiot-commish Stern?

If so.. which player and team would benefit the most? Which player and team would it hamper the most?

and a quick off-topic question: does anyone know any good sites to stream movies off?

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Kobe Bryant wants old-school D back..

"I'd like for us to go back to the old rules," Bryant said. "Get rid of the 'crutch defense,' known as the zone defense, and have guys guard man-to-man and stuff like that [and allow] hand checking and all that. I think that's better basketball."

A wise man indeed.

Ever since the Zone was assembled. I hated it. I thought it was a bad idea.

Dunking on everybody in the park

I think they should just allow everything, then the options for strategies would be wide and it would be more fun to watch.

owwwww

"The rules are completely different now,'' said Bryant, comparing his era to Jordan's. "I've always been able to shoot the ball, but the rules have changed since he played in terms of playing a zone defense. You have to be a jump shooter now because there's no way you can get to the basket -- particularly myself because they just stack guys up. I wish we had the rules they had back in the day where you could isolate guys and you could go to the basket anytime. But now you have to be able to shoot.''

Kobe with old rules...scary thought

^^ scary thought? That means he wouldn't get refs to call fouls by glaring at them anymore and that defenders would body him up, big time.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by FinishHim!
    ^^ scary thought? That means he wouldn't get refs to call fouls by glaring at them anymore and that defenders would body him up, big time.
    You realize a 35 year old Jordan has averaged more FTs than Kobe has in ANY playoff run of his career? Kobe averages like 7 FTs a game...less than Reggie Miller, Chris Mullin and countless others used to shoot in early 90s (only time he shot more than 9 in a season was when he was on those bad Laker teams and using an absurd amount of possessions). Foolish kids don't know sh*t, see some cherry picked clips on youtube and think it was no blood no foul rules.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    "The rules are completely different now,'' said Bryant, comparing his era to Jordan's. "I've always been able to shoot the ball, but the rules have changed since he played in terms of playing a zone defense. You have to be a jump shooter now because there's no way you can get to the basket -- particularly myself because they just stack guys up. I wish we had the rules they had back in the day where you could isolate guys and you could go to the basket anytime. But now you have to be able to shoot.''

Get off his ****.

Yes, but LeBron with no Zone rules would be a even scarier thought.

Indeed. Would have been good for 32/5/5 each night on about 48% shooting. During his peak that is.

National High School Star

yeah right

kobe complains and whines at the slightest instances of contact all the time. his game isn't really suited for that style. if real old school defense came back it would be worse off for him.

Pistons Owns Lakers DetroitPistonFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingLeBronJames
    Yes, but LeBron with no Zone rules would be a even scarier thought.
    If the zone was gone, LeBron would be kicking more Gatorade bottles.

Lebron without zones and with iso's again -goodbye to the league

LOL at all these people saying Kobe would be affected more by these rules as they would be more physical. Let me explain something to you posters who obviously haven't got tonnes and tonnes of tapes lying around of the games back then. It's called a hand "check", thus meaning check. Not hand restraint, punch, claw, super shield, ultimate wall, just a check. Players were not allowed to impede a players motion in any which direction they chose to go. They were only allowed to sense body movement and have a better perception of which way the body was going. Remember now, hand "check".

Kobe wouldn't be able to create as many shots as before for himself, though he'd put up more points on the shot he did get.