Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Dunking at the End of a Decided Game - Why is it Now Treated as the Ultimate Sin?

When did we completely make the crossover from playing until the final buzzer regardless of who's winning and who's losing, to getting incredibly and uncomfortably offended if a player has the audacity to complete a routine dunk to push a late lead to eight?

As a player, even at the end of getting blown out, if a team dunked on us - it was probably our fault. It sucked, but that was basketball. The only thing that'd really get us would have been if the player dunking mocked us or tried to shamelessly rub it in our faces.

But now, even if a player has the most innocent intent of just playing basketball until the final buzzer (and heaven forbid giving the crowd something more to cheer about), the response is almost worse than if he were to have flagrantly fouled someone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKC9YGtBHd4

I'm living in the past I suppose, back when even the most upstanding NBA citizen could play until the final horn in a win and not have anyone bat an eyelash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxWJBI8cmqY#t=4m57s

NBA Legend

Default Re: Dunking at the End of a Decided Game - Why is it Now Treated as the Ultimate Sin?

Very much agreed.

Default Re: Dunking at the End of a Decided Game - Why is it Now Treated as the Ultimate Sin?

It's just the unwritten rules nowadays. It's considered disrespectful.

Just like how f[COLOR="Black"]a[/COLOR]g meant cigars back then but now it's a disrespectful word.

You may/may not like it but it is what it is.

I was always taught that it's disrespectful to run up the score on an opponent when a win is already secured, whether it's a dunk/layup or a jump shot. It's just respect. No need to rub salt on a wound.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    I was always taught that it's disrespectful to run up the score on an opponent when a win is already secured, whether it's a dunk/layup or a jump shot. It's just respect. No need to rub salt on a wound.
    I think the question would be, why is scoring while the game is still going on considered disrespectful? On the amateur level, when a powerhouse happens upon a vastly overmatched small time opponent, I believe the true idea of running up a score can come into play and I would agree it would be wise in certain situations to be mindful of how badly a team runs up another.

For instance, I've coached middle school B teams who were unlucky enough to run into opponents whose own B team was vastly superior to our A club. In those cases, when the opponent's up 38-4 in the fourth quarter and still trapping at half court, that's where I'm questioning sportsmanship on account of running up the score.

However, in the NBA, where it's a flat mix of 300 of the best players in the world, gathered on a stage largely for the sake of entertainment - I feel the idea of disrespect and/or running up the score shouldn't be as easily attained as in a middle school B team setting.

What is so inherently humiliating or embarrassing about giving up a dunk at the end of a game? As a fan, I love end-of-game dunks, because it's often an opportunity for players to bust out something special for the fans. So a team that was going to lose by 8, loses by 10 instead - because a player gives the fans what they want. And?

Again, even in rec leagues where people tend to be a little more emotionally immature, I haven't really encountered an issue with late-game dunking. If someone's killing us and they wrap it up with a breakaway double-pump - it sucks, but unless that player runs by our bench laughing in our faces while saying something like "Lick deez nutz!", there's not going to be a problem - because it's basketball.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

I loved when Mo Cheeks dunked a the end of the finals vs the Lakers when the Sixers won.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I think the question would be, why is scoring while the game is still going on considered disrespectful? On the amateur level, when a powerhouse happens upon a vastly overmatched small time opponent, I believe the true idea of running up a score can come into play and I would agree it would be wise in certain situations to be mindful of how badly a team runs up another.

For instance, I've coached middle school B teams who were unlucky enough to run into opponents whose own B team was vastly superior to our A club. In those cases, when the opponent's up 38-4 in the fourth quarter and still trapping at half court, that's where I'm questioning sportsmanship on account of running up the score.

However, in the NBA, where it's a flat mix of 300 of the best players in the world, gathered on a stage largely for the sake of entertainment - I feel the idea of disrespect and/or running up the score shouldn't be as easily attained as in a middle school B team setting.

What is so inherently humiliating or embarrassing about giving up a dunk at the end of a game? As a fan, I love end-of-game dunks, because it's often an opportunity for players to bust out something special for the fans. So a team that was going to lose by 8, loses by 10 instead - because a player gives the fans what they want. And?

Again, even in rec leagues where people tend to be a little more emotionally immature, I haven't really encountered an issue with late-game dunking. If someone's killing us and they wrap it up with a breakaway double-pump - it sucks, but unless that player runs by our bench laughing in our faces while saying something like "Lick deez nutz!", there's not going to be a problem - because it's basketball.
    Eh, it's just the accepted sign of respect these days. If you ask why, then why do running to the bench and saying "Lick deez nutz" disrespectful? It's fun for the fans and winner should be able to make fun of the losers. It's just trash talk after all.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    cultural differences i guess

here in spain, it's generally considered more patronizing than a sign of respect. it's considered more respectful when an opponent plays as hard as he can regardless of the score and level of opponent

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Eh, it's just the accepted sign of respect these days. If you ask why, then why do running to the bench and saying "Lick deez nutz" disrespectful? It's fun for the fans and winner should be able to make fun of the losers. It's just trash talk after all.
    I think there's a very, very thick line between continuing to play basketball until the basketball game has concluded, and intentionally attempting to disrespect and embarrass an opponent with potentially offensive comments and trash talk.

In fact, that's kind of the point. It's very possible (and usually likely) that an end-of-game dunk is more about playing basketball than it is about attempting to show-up the other team. The Lillard dunk was a fine example - he appeared to have zero intent of trying to embarrass the Bulls - he was just dunking to wrap up the game. So why would Chicago attempt to find a way to convince themselves it was disrespectful?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    here in spain, it's generally considered more patronizing than a sign of respect. it's considered more respectful when an opponent plays as hard as he can regardless of the score and level of opponent
    I feel the same way in many cases. I mean, I suppose I don't mind if a team dribbles out the clock - but theoretically yeah, it'd kind of be more embarrassing to have a team have to force itself to stop playing.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 12-09-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

It's the end of the game. What does more points gonna do for you?

It's kind of like a losing defender trying steal the ball from a ball handler who already held it for the last 3 seconds up 5.

It's like kicking a field goal with 3 seconds left already up 10. It's like a game-sealing interception trying to take it all the way with a clear path. It's like faking a knee and throwing it.

It's like knocking someone out in a street fight and still kicking them in the face while they're down. It's like a fast as hell runner winning and still trying to catch up with the last man that hasn't finished yet. lol

Don't forget about this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCR4kVv08YM

Turner looks real apologetic about it. Look at Swaggy P so pissed he won't even accept the apology

So, is there a difference between throwing down the slam for the 2 points in a decided game, vs waiting for the buzzer? If Turner had waited an extra 1.5s, would his dunk have been acceptable? Or still disrespectful?

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Don't forget about this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCR4kVv08YM

Turner looks real apologetic about it. Look at Swaggy P so pissed he won't even accept the apology

So, is there a difference between throwing down the slam for the 2 points in a decided game, vs waiting for the buzzer? If Turner had waited an extra 1.5s, would his dunk have been acceptable? Or still disrespectful?
    That one was okay because Turner turned out looking like a bitch......
    Seriously, it would've been disrespectful before or after the clock. Unless you're prime Vince Carter at home, it's just unacceptable.

OP, this popped into my head from a '94 Rockets/Suns Playoffs game I watched a while ago. Do you just file this under Ainge being his usual self?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN1gfT2IUuo#t=55s

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Natureland
    OP, this popped into my head from a '94 Rockets/Suns Playoffs game I watched a while ago. Do you just file this under Ainge being his usual self?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN1gfT2IUuo#t=55s
    Haha, that's one of my favorite clips. That's a perfect example of when one may not want to complete an end-of-game dunk, for not all end-of-gamers were created equal. In Ainge's case, tensions were incredibly high with he and Elie having a contentious run-in earlier in the game (as can be seen in that video). It's around that point where a dunk like that could realistically be received as being an attempt at disrespect (with Elie jawing immediately after).

My issue is with the dunks that are just dunks. Each team played hard, it's been a respectful game, and an NBA athlete happens to break out into the open floor with the clock ticking down (like Even Turner's posted above yours) and just dunks to dunk - because he's a super athlete in the NBA and people like to see players go out on a limb and try something new when the game's not hanging in limbo.

Even if the Lakers were sensitive enough to take a meaningless (albeit entertaining) jam as an intentional personal affront, Turner really clearly seems to have shown no intent of such.

I think it should be nothing more than something fans may possibly enjoy moving forth. That Turner jam was pretty wicked - I didn't know he had it in him at the time. I didn't feel embarrassed for L.A. and I don't feel they should have taken it that way.

It's all silly to me, and backward. Someone could Kenyon Martin slam on top of defender, rip their jersey to the side and taunt the entire opposing bench and it's largely met with an "Aw he get me". But if a random guy happens to make a random dunk that means nothing...

Last edited by Rake2204; 12-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.

I personally don't like it. Perhaps I just share an old school mentality, but in my estimation I don't see the need to pound more salt on the wound when the game is already wrapped up. It's just sorta rubs me as a little classless and unsportsmanlike is all.