Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
    LJJ is a retard.

How you going to have 13,000+ post on a sports forum when you barely know anything about sports?

he's using arguments that have nothing to do at all with the sport itself.

what people in Japan think of the NFL has no bearing at all on the actual quality of the athletes in the NFL

its a hilarious argument

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    He, at least I back up my arguments with data and valid comparisons.

None of you guys are really bringing anything here except: "This is America here, we are number 1. Deal with it!"

I'm not even trying to change anyone's mind. I like reading what other people think even if I disagree with them, but so far I haven't been able to provoke anyone into posting quality other than Thorpe.
    So which sport do you think has the best athletes?

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    So which sport do you think has the best athletes?
    It kind of depends what type of athletics you value more.

In general though, I figure the sport with the most high level competitors reaches the highest level of competition.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

He, at least I back up my arguments with data and valid comparisons.

None of you guys are really bringing anything here except: "This is America here, we are number 1. Deal with it!"

I'm not even trying to change anyone's mind. I like reading what other people think even if I disagree with them, but so far I haven't been able to provoke anyone into posting quality other than Thorpe.
    you haven't backed up shit. first you said that it was a sport with marginal athletes but your so called valid data and comparisons are on the precedent that the sport has a relatively low number of participants relative to more popular sports. then you proceed to argue why american football is insignificant in the global landscape.

what you fail to take into account is that your definition of what constitutes a good or great athlete is simply your opinion. some may define a great athlete as someone who thrives in a certain sport but others may define one as an individual with the best measurable statistics among various physical tests like a sprint time, vertical leap, endurance test, and so on.

i consider adrian peterson and killian jornet amazing athletes but they could not be any more different
    Last edited by Andrew Wiggins; 04-19-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

It's easy to explain I think.

Football is, in a basic form, a variation of an already established popular worldwide sport.

Whereas basketball was a novel, truly original sport.

It kind of depends what type of athletics you value more.

In general though, I figure the sport with the most high level competitors reaches the highest level of competition.

do you actually follow any sports?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    you haven't backed up shit. first you said that it was a sport with marginal athletes but your so called valid data and comparisons are on the precedent that the sport has a relatively low number of participants relative to more popular sports. then you proceed to argue why american football is insignificant in the global landscape.

what you fail to take into account is that your definition of what constitutes a good or great athlete is simply your opinion. some may define a great athlete as someone who thrives in a certain sport but others may define one as an individual with the best measurable statistics among various physical tests like a sprint time, vertical leap, endurance test, and so on.

i consider adrian peterson and killian jornet amazing athletes but they could not be any more different
    Every opinion I give is my opinion indeed, I don't see why that's relevant? "That's just your opinion". "You're not really any expert". Yes, yes. That really goes without saying.

Are you really saying that my argument that American Football has a very low global participation level is not verifiable and untrue? I think that is a solid, verifiable assertion. I also think that stating that because of this fact American Football lacks some of the scale benefits other sports enjoy is a logical conclusion.

Every opinion I give is my opinion indeed, I don't see why that's relevant? "That's just your opinion". "You're not really any expert". Yes, yes. That really goes without saying.

Are you really saying that my argument that American Football has a very low global participation level is not verifiable and untrue? I think that is a solid, verifiable assertion. I also think that stating that because of this fact American Football lacks some of the scale benefits other sports enjoy is a logical conclusion.

what is your favorite sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    what is your favorite sport?
    Make a guess Sherlock Holmes.

Make a guess Sherlock Holmes.

you dont follow sports do you?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    That's how it is with almost every sport.

The pool is proportional to the amount of people trying. There would be a lot more football players in the world if it was a global sport.

I dont deny that... there definitely would be more players if there were more teams across the globe, but the level in the talent pool would also be watered down and not necessarily better..

it also doesnt mean that it makes the sport "marginal" and "insignificant"

Adbloock<3

soccer is for gay fa[COLOR="Black"]gs[/COLOR], they just run around and pass and sometime they shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Agreed, but the best talent will almost always land in the best league (i.e. NBA).

yup... Im sure there are some guys across the globe who be spectacular talents in the NFL if they had a league or something similar in their country like basketball does, where they could show their talent and draw attention to themselves

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

once again you're missing the point.

no one's disputing the sport having a low participation level. but that doesn't necessarily equate to NFL players being "marginal athletes". the way people in this thread, americans i assume, are defining athleticism is by some of measurable abilities i mentioned earlier. if you define how good of an athlete someone is by those measurables, then many nfl players would likely be top notch "athletes"

It'd be more popular if it were a better sport, and not just athletes with no skill to speak of running into each other in between commercial breaks.