Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Centers of the 70's...How Would They Fare Today?

Kareem, Gilmore, Moses, McAdoo, Lanier, Unseld, Hayes, Cowens, and a healthy Walton.

What do you think?

Default Re: The Centers of the 70's...How Would They Fare Today?

we'd be in an era of big men and high usage of post play again on whichever teams they played for if they all played today

They were all better basketball players than the supposed best center in the league Dwight Howard.

Obviously Kareem, Moses, and Gilmore would be great (and likely the other's, too), but a prime McAdoo would be real interesting. He had exceptional range for a center, and at his peak, he was routinely outscoring KAJ in their H2H's. He had games of 41 and 45 against Kareem (and in that 45 point game, he hit 17 straight FGAs.) And hs 74-75 season is arguably one of the greatest offensive seasons including the post-season, of all-time. He averaged 34.5 ppg on a .512 FG%, in a league that only averaged 102.6 ppg (on a .457 eFG%.) Compare that with just the last NBA season, which averaged 101.0 ppg on a .501 eFG%. And McAdoo ran away with that scoring title, as well (Barry was next at 30.6 ppg, and Kareem was at 27.7 ppg.) He then averaged 37.4 ppg in the post-season, which included this 50 point outburst against the Bullets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuQ3unu2YAQ

I wonder most about Cowens, given that he was undersized and offensively played so often away from the basket. Maybe that actually makes him more of a modern center? Maybe he would have developed a 3-point shot?

The game has certainly changed, and centers aren't emphasized like they once were, but I can't imagine a guy like Kareem not dominating, or a guy like Malone not winning rebound titles. I'd be most curious how a finesse guy like Walton would do--my guess is that he'd be amazing still.

Wes Unseld is "undersized" more than anyone, but he is the same height as Ben Wallace, with nowhere near the same kind of leaping ability, but a much better offensive game. I can't imagine he wouldn't be a great player today, but I do think he'd need to be paired with a tall PF, just as he wa with Elvin Hayes.

McAdoo would probably still score 30 points a game. He was as pure a shooter as any guard, and he was quick and flexible too (somewhere on youtube in one of the all-star games he makes a crazy play where he shifts from under one side of the basket to the other while in the air.) The modern player who most reminds me of him is Dirk Nowitzki, or maybe Kevin Durant.

I also think a beast (size-wise) like Gilmore (or Mark Eaton) would be a great part of a winning team, though not the focus of a team (not that they really ever were anyway.)
    Last edited by pudman13; 08-22-2014 at 09:07 PM.

McAdoo > Durant

A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

All bench players.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragic4Life
    All bench players.
    Would take over Lebron tbh

All bench players.
    Oh no doubt. Most of them are well over 60 years old.

Kareem would probably only be a 20 ppg scorer right now.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 08-22-2014 at 02:13 PM.

A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

Lebron in the 70s would surpass Russell as the GOAT with at least 15 rings.

Too easy and weak an era.

dragic4life is a f.a.g.g.ot in any era.

Lebron in the 70s would surpass Russell as the GOAT with at least 15 rings.

Too easy and weak an era.
    Were are you getting the extra 5 rings from?

Local High School Star

60s & 70s era lovers hide behind big boys because they know perimeter competition was whack...what else is new?
    Last edited by Nikola_; 08-22-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    McAdoo > Durant
    I would like to agree with that, because McAdoo in his prime was a guy who could absolutely score at will (and, heck, was still that way as a bench player with the Lakers in the 80s), but my one big question about him is why there was a period in his career, when he still had his skills, when he was traded from team to team and nobody wanted him.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Kareem, Gilmore, Moses, McAdoo, Lanier, Unseld, Hayes, Cowens, and a healthy Walton.

What do you think?
    On the whole, very well.

I'm going to use some comparisons that are by no means perfect, but help illustrate a few points:

- Bob Lanier's size and offensive game was somewhat similar to Al Jefferson's. He had a nice variety of low-post moves, baby hooks and a turnaround jump-shot. Neither were great defenders but both could get 10 boards a game. Lanier was a better passer. But they're similar players. Lanier would still be a 20/10 player in today's game.

- Bob McAdoo would probably be similar to Chris Bosh if he played today. Excellent range on his jump shot, a good but not great athlete, a better offensive than defensive player. Similar size. Again, I quite like this comparison. Like Bosh on the Raptors, I could see McAdoo putting up 25ppg in today's NBA if he was required to do so.

- Elvin Hayes would be at least as good as a prime Jermaine O'Neal (who people forget once finished 2nd in MVP voting) or maybe a prime Elton Brand. Great turn around jump shot, good size and defense. Hayes was a better rebounder than both. He'd be one of the best PF/Cs in the league if he played today.

- Bill Walton's all-around brilliance conjures up images of a Marc/Pau Gasol hybrid. He had Pau's passing ability (similarities to Chris Webber here too), Marc's defense (and strength) and Pau's post moves. Walton was better at shot-blocking than both of them. Prime Walton would be a superstar in today's game.

- Artis Gilmore reminds me a bit of Alonzo Mourning. Both were exceptionally strong, excellent defenders and shot-blockers, if a little lacking refinement. Neither were particularly good passers. Gilmore had a height advantage and I'm sure he could do a great job if he played today, albeit with some weaknesses in his game.

- It's very hard to find a fair comparison for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and I'm sure people will dislike this comparison (I'm not a huge fan of it either, but bear with me). His freakish abilities remind me a little of Anthony Davis. Both had exceptionally long frames which gave them distinct advantages. Both were very fluid players despite their height. Kareem was 4 inches taller and a better play-maker at his position, but Davis might develop that part of his game. Like Davis, Kareem was an exceptional shot-blocker earlier in his career. I have little doubt that Kareem would be one of the top 2 or 3 players in the League today, maybe even the best.

- Moses Malone was obviously the greatest offensive rebounder since the League started recording that statistic. The modern day equivalent is Andre Drummond, who I can see developing into a 16/13 type of player. However, Drummond will never be the scorer that Malone was - there's a huge discrepancy in their free throw shooting. Both were poor passers. Drummond is a better athlete though. I suppose Malone was like a combination of Drummond and Kevin Love.

- Wes Unseld was one of the most unique players in NBA history. He might struggle today due to his lack of height but people thought the same in the 1970s and he was fine. In a way he was like a mini Joakim Noah, doing the little things to help his team win. That's a poor comparison on many levels though. He'd find a way to contribute in today's League. He'd be like some sort of weird Noah/Rodman/Diaw/Barkley hybrid.

- Last but not least, one of the most fun to watch players of all-time, Dave Cowens. Again, you could compare his energy levels to someone like Joakim Noah. In terms of size, rebounding and post game (not to mention passing), he could be compared to Kevin Love... but with Noah's passion and energy.

In conclusion, I think all of them would be stars today. They might not get quite so many points, rebounds or assists - the game has changed and become more perimeter/guard oriented - but they'd still be amongst the very best big men in the league. Obviously Kareem and Moses in particular.