Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dunking on everybody in the park Spike Spiegel's Avatar

Kwaj! Get Yo Candy Ass In Here! I Want Retribution!

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re:

it's funny how your thread has only a one star rating.

Really only posting this to bump the thread... and didn't feel like bumping with nothing, so..

Orlando Sentinel

Vazquez makes NBA cautious

Teams won't pass on Europeans in the draft but say they'll do a lot of research.

Fran Vazquez isn't here or anywhere close -- he is last year's news -- but just the mention of him still makes people in the NBA wince.

Coaches, scouts and management personnel are gathered this week for the NBA Pre-Draft Camp at Disney's Wide World of Sports, evaluating talent and formulating plans -- generally a little more cautious today about jumping blindly into the international talent pool because of Vazquez.

The Orlando Magic used the No. 11 pick of the 2005 draft to select Vazquez, who then used that leverage to sign a more lucrative contract with Akasvayu Girona in Spain.

Although it's common for teams to use second-round picks and even lower first-round picks for a player they don't expect to have until later years -- they retain the rights indefinitely -- this was the first time it happened with such a high NBA draft pick.

"It's definitely a caution flag, a caution sign that you better pay attention to,'' said Toronto Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo.

Colangelo and Toronto have the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft this month. One of the players they still are considering for that pick is Andrea Bargnani, a 7-0 power forward from Italy who has been compared to Dirk Nowitzki.

Colangelo said the decision on whether to draft Bargnani won't be influenced by what happened with Vazquez, but he said extensive research would be done on Bargnani's intentions before the pick is made.

At least two others Europeans could be among the top 18 picks in 2006. Most European players have an agent in their native country and another in America working together. In Vazquez's case, the Magic had been assured by his American agent -- and Vazquez -- that he wanted to play in the NBA. His European agent, though, had other plans.

"What we became was an example for the entire league that something like this could happen,'' Magic General Manager Otis Smith said. "I don't think anyone will be gun-shy [of drafting a European], but it heightened everyone's awareness to the Nth degree.''

Vazquez came to Orlando after the draft, and looked almost in awe, promising to return soon. He then signed a new four-year $8.3 million contract in Europe. It was worth considerably more than he could have received under the NBA's rookie salary scale.

"When he comes back, look how good Orlando will be eventually,'' NBA Commissioner David Stern said last weekend. "If he is any good, he'll come back. They always do. Unless, of course, they don't think they can cut it.''

Stern said he believes Vazquez was an isolated case and not a new trend for the NBA. He also believes that Vazquez eventually will play for the Magic. Smith said he expects to have Vazquez after next season. It's after that second year of his deal that the NBA buyout clause drops significantly.

National High School Star AKADS's Avatar

I have Orlando as a 5 or 6 seed next yr. right now. I need to see who makes deal first.

Dwight will become a 18 / 13
    Darko 12/7 / 3 blocks / 1 steal
    Jameer 16 / 7 assists
    Hedu 15 / 6 / 3
    If they get Roy who wil go for 15 / 6/ 4/ 2 steals( Which i don't think they will but i hope they do) then this team will be a 5 seed.

which is a 76 point starting 5 with Arroyo, Battie and Hill off the bench.

Is there any team with a brighter 2007; maybe Bobcats.

Carney Turning Heads
    The Magic are still trying to move up in the draft and they like Rodney Carney.

The Orlando Magic took a closer look Thursday at players who should be available if they make the No. 11 pick as expected in the NBA draft this month.

Yet their sights still are set higher.

"I'm comfortable at 11, but we're trying to get up a couple picks ahead of us,'' said Magic General Manager Otis Smith. "It's a realistic goal. There are teams trying to move down, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get in there.''

Smith said the Magic would like to pick in the 6-7-8 range -- spots currently held by the Timberwolves, Celtics and Rockets -- which would create a different set of available players.

Guards Rodney Carney (Memphis), Ronnie Brewer (Arkansas) and Randy Foye (Villanova) -- who all are expected to be picked in the 9-15 range on draft night -- were among those in a private workout at RDV Sportsplex on Thursday.

Also, there were guard Mardy Collins (Temple), guard Quincy Douby (Rutgers), guard Hassan Adams (Arizona) and forward Shawne Williams (Memphis). The Magic also have two (and possibly a third if they want it) second-round picks. Most of the Magic staff has been at the NBA pre-draft camp this week at Disney's Wide World of Sports, along with the staffs of the other 29 NBA teams. The Magic shuttled back between sessions for the private workout.

"Carney is a physical specimen,'' Smith said. "I think he could be special, a real good player in this league. Brewer is pretty talented. He gets the whole picture. Some of the things he does, you can see his dad [former NBA player Ron Brewer] in him."

They have set up private workouts next week with guard J.J. Redick and forward Shelden Williams.

Although Smith would not say who the Magic would like to get if they move up to the 6-7-8 range, there is a chance that a better player like forward Rudy Gay (Connecticut), guard Brandon Roy (Washington), or forward Adam Morrison (Gonzaga) could slip to them.

To exchange picks with someone in front of them, the Magic would have to part with either a player like Keyon Dooling or DeShawn Stevenson, or a future first-round pick, or possibly the rights to Fran Vazquez, last year's first-round pick who is expected to play in Spain for at least another season.

"We've heard nothing yet that would knock us over. All the talks have been so preliminary at this point,'' Smith said. "Things are just being thrown against the wall. Everyone has to get comfortable with the draft and who they can get at their spots. A week or so from now, talks will get more serious.''

DRAFT NOTES: The Magic weren't the only ones holding private workouts during the pre-draft camp. Florida State power forward Alexander Johnson and University of Miami point guard Guillermo Diaz both worked out for a half-dozen teams Thursday afternoon at a small gym inside the nearby Celebration Hospital facility. Among those watching that workout were representatives from the Bulls, Warriors, Trail Blazers, Timberwolves, Hawks and Clippers. Various mock drafts have Johnson going late in the first round and Diaz early in the second round. ..... Sacramento Coach Eric Musselman, the former Magic assistant, hasn't had much time to scout players at the pre-draft camp because he has been busy here trying to put together a new staff. "Finding just the right people isn't easy,'' he said.

NBA lottery pick

Magic need to bring over Vasquez. Throw some money at him now, if his girlfriend is bitchy, tell her she can live in Miami, where everybody speaks spanish.

Vasquez and Navarro, who was drafted by Washington have NBA game. Navarro would benefit immensely from the new handcheck rule. I don

Local High School Star

Hey just a question...don't jump all over me when I propose this:

Would you guys trade:

D Howard for Charlie V and the first pick overall and Cash?

Just wanted to see what you guys think...I remeber this cionverstion on the old board at the end of last year

Quote Originally Posted by bonez26
    Hey just a question...don't jump all over me when I propose this:

Would you guys trade:

D Howard for Charlie V and the first pick overall and Cash?

Just wanted to see what you guys think...I remeber this cionverstion on the old board at the end of last year
    I wouldn't. I don't think Otis Smith would, and I don't think any Magic fan would support this.

You have to realize... because of age, current production, potential & salary, Dwight has one of the top three trade values in the league. The other two would be LeBron and perhaps Wade. Dwight isn't getting moved for anything.

Local High School Star

You have to realize... because of age, current production, potential & salary, Dwight has one of the top three trade values in the league.
    Understandable...hey you forgot Bosh on that list...LOL

Great college starter craigthomasb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKADS
    I have Orlando as a 5 or 6 seed next yr. right now. I need to see who makes deal first.

Dwight will become a 18 / 13
    Darko 12/7 / 3 blocks / 1 steal
    Jameer 16 / 7 assists
    Hedu 15 / 6 / 3
    If they get Roy who wil go for 15 / 6/ 4/ 2 steals( Which i don't think they will but i hope they do) then this team will be a 5 seed.

which is a 76 point starting 5 with Arroyo, Battie and Hill off the bench.

Is there any team with a brighter 2007; maybe Bobcats.

would they not keep stevenson? at least as a bench player, and i reckon the magic will get rodney carney darko, dwight, carney and jameer nelson should be SICK

Learning to shoot layups 420puffer's Avatar

? for u magic fans: Francis- Good riddance?

Banned

Default Re: Orlando Magic team thread.

i'm in here

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: Orlando Magic team thread.

Ha