Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park Tha Catalyst's Avatar

Default Re: Tell me about Kevin McHale's post moves

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    If only he were black, he'd get a lot more respect and people would come to him to learn post moves.
    Very easy to see here your opinion is a reflection on Dirk. Do you ever not think about him? Do you even like basketball or you just like Dirk? McHale is well respected and has helped NBA players, including KG.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    I've watched a lot of old Celtic games since I made the OP. And I still don't think anyone knows what those names mean. Maybe he used them as pickup lines? "Hey baby, want to go back to my place and see my slippery eel?"
    I think most of the names for his moves are jokes.

When discussing Kevin McHale's greatness people will occasionally reference some nicknames for his post moves: "Worm & Squirm," "the White Salamander," and "the Slippery Eel."

Educate me please. The internet tubes fail me. All I've seen of him are highlight videos and maybe a game or two where I wasn't paying much attention to him specifically and I have no clue what these mean (although someday I plan on buying a boatload of NBA Finals DVDs to fix that). He appears to have a great up and under move and an ability to confuse the hell out of his defender which I'm guessing is either the eel or worm move. But what the hell is the white salamander?
    There never really were any nicknames for his moves. He just had really great footwork for a post player. Then you throw in the fact that he was a white dude on a winning team, well things really opened up. The media took it to another level. But he was good back in the day.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Catalyst
    Very easy to see here your opinion is a reflection on Dirk. Do you ever not think about him? Do you even like basketball or you just like Dirk? McHale is well respected and has helped NBA players, including KG.
    I am a big time Mavs fan and a Dirkules homer second, but like all things in America, if someone were black they'd get a lot more attention and instant respect.

Local High School Star

: "Worm & Squirm," "the White Salamander," and "the Slippery Eel."

What does sex positions have to do with this?

I am a big time Mavs fan and a Dirkules homer second, but like all things in America, if someone were black they'd get a lot more attention and instant respect.
    Buet people love Dirk, Nash, Bogut. They are modest are easy to relate to. It would be hard to find someone on this board who doesn't respect Nash, some believed he didn't deserve 2MVPs (he didn't), but they respect him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Catalyst
    Buet people love Dirk, Nash, Bogut. They are modest are easy to relate to. It would be hard to find someone on this board who doesn't respect Nash, some believed he didn't deserve 2MVPs (he didn't), but they respect him.
    Yeah I agree re:Nash but you can't honestly tell me Dirk would get all the disrespect and hate he gets if he were black.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

you sound like a clown

McHale played in the shadow of one of the top 10 best players ever, who took most of the BIG and clutch shots and had that pressure on him for most of his career. As great as KM was, he never wanted that kind of pressure.

If anything..like Adrian Dantley, Mark Agguire, and others...McHale's skills, post moves and footwork get overlooked for the high flying and flashier players of that era. Just the nature of fans.

Don't lecture people here about race relations...people have books and know about the history of how the ORIGINAL australians, the Aboriginal people, were and ARE treated over there .

tell Andrew Gaze, Longley, Crocodile Dundee and Outback Jack to kiss my arse.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    you sound like a clown

McHale played in the shadow of one of the top 10 best players ever, who took most of the BIG and clutch shots and had that pressure on him for most of his career. As great as KM was, he never wanted that kind of pressure.

If anything..like Adrian Dantley, Mark Agguire, and others...McHale's skills, post moves and footwork get overlooked for the high flying and flashier players of that era. Just the nature of fans.

Don't lecture people here about race relations...people have books and know about the history of how the ORIGINAL australians, the Aboriginal people, were and ARE treated over there .

yeah I am not denying any of what happened to Aboriginals but I think my point is still valid. Blacks get accorded an instant respect that whites must work for in the US (I am American by the way)

Even as a Laker fan McHale is a player I always looked up to. His up and under move I spent a lot of time practicing. Hakeem gets a lot of respect for his post moves and it's well deserved but McHale in my eyes was even better. I remember somebody calling him the man of a thousand moves back in the day. The Celtics used to call him Herman Munster though. lol

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

yeah I am not denying any of what happened to Aboriginals but I think my point is still valid. Blacks get accorded an instant respect that whites must work for in the US (I am American by the way)

are you talking about sports or in REAL life?

Cause you know, I'd trade any of that "instant respect" to be able to not be followed around by store security when I shop or getting randomly racially profiled when I've nit committed so much as a parking violation in my life.

If you are talking about sports..I'd still disagree...reporters,writers,etc even in 2011...if you pay attention would have you think that Black college and pro athletes didn't work HARD and sacrifice things to be where they are...but you know..just have NATURAL talent....implied and stated that top white college or pro athlete is "hard working"

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    you sound like a clown

Don't twist it that way Australian's are ashamed of what happened to the aboriginals. That was done by a bunch of British merciless, power-hungry idiots. Despite them being forefathers of the country don't blame Luc Longley for it, he was a very lovable scrub.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    Even as a Laker fan McHale is a player I always looked up to. His up and under move I spent a lot of time practicing. Hakeem gets a lot of respect for his post moves and it's well deserved but McHale in my eyes was even better. I remember somebody calling him the man of a thousand moves back in the day. The Celtics used to call him Herman Munster though. lol
    No way, I respect his game but I hate that barrel chested fool who did a cheap shot cloths lining Rambis. As far as his inside game, not as flashy as Hakeem dream shake but he has assortment of post moves inside. Jump hook, up and under, straight arm jumpshots, and infinite counter moves. Mychal Thompson used to brag about being the greatest Golden Gopher ever but when someone mentions McHale, he gets quiet. Also if he keep saying he knows boxing, and someone mention Byron Scott, he will be defensive. If you are a Laker fan you know this.

The up and under baseline scoop shot is

Not airballing my layups anymore vinsanity2756's Avatar

i've seen some celtic games from the 80's. he definitely has a lot of variety in his post game. fade away, hooking, up and under.; pump fake, face-up and mid range shot. crafty and smart are the words that come to mind