Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why didn't Houston trade Asik?

I'm confused

Default Re: Why didn't Houston trade Asik?

Hes the best back up big man in the league minus Bynum.

If they didn't get anything useful in return, why would they?

Your OP confuses me.

Because no team wants him due to his bad contract.

Very good NBA starter

Doesn't hurt to have a starting Center coming off the bench... On a side note, I knew a Howard-Asik starting front court wasn't going to work. Neither can shoot

No one was willing to sacrifice first round picks for him.

They need asik man

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Doesn't hurt to have a starting Center coming off the bench... On a side note, I knew a Howard-Asik starting front court wasn't going to work. Neither can shoot
    Yea, but imagine not only this year for the Rockets, but the future as well.

What if they could have gotten a deal that improves their team this year...while also shedding the Asik contract now so they could improve the roster this summer.

It may not have been possible, but why not do something like Marion and Larkin for Asik? Marion makes them better this year than Asik does...and Marion's contract expires this year so they then have cap room to improve the roster.

Obviously Lin isn't likely in their future as well...so in the deal they get their future backup pg in a promising young first round pick in Larkin on his rookie deal.

That type of trade should have been looked at by Morey...I feel like he didn't even entertain stuff like that.

He has negative trade value.

Houston would have to throw in multiple draft picks in order just to move him

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

What if they could have gotten a deal that improves their team this year...while also shedding the Asik contract now so they could improve the roster this summer.

It may not have been possible, but why not do something like Marion and Larkin for Asik? Marion makes them better this year than Asik does...and Marion's contract expires this year so they then have cap room to improve the roster.

Obviously Lin isn't likely in their future as well...so in the deal they get their future backup pg in a promising young first round pick in Larkin on his rookie deal.

That type of trade should have been looked at by Morey...I feel like he didn't even entertain stuff like that.
    Houston is the #4 seed in the west, which essentially means a #1 or #2 seed in the east standings had they played the same schedules, after having the #14 pick three years in a row, not tanking, and managing to land two star players. I trust his judgement.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

Asik salary is not comparable to Marion this year. I think Morey held on Asik because he no one wants to touch his next year contract but he will desperately get of rid of him next year to avoid paying luxury tax. I have the feeling that Lakers will pick him if they can't sign any game changer free agent next year.

I rule the local playground

Morey probably wanted too much considering his lack of leverage resulting from Asik's trade demand.

Asik can be a starting center on a championship caliber team, however, none of the other contenders have a need for him (maybe the Mavs, but Marion is too important to them). Houston has the luxury of having him as their backup center by default. I don't think other teams are willing to take on that final year for a backup C.

Nobody wants a quitter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Nobody wants a quitter.
    Miami already has one playing SF

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RightToCensor
    Miami already has one playing SF