Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Default Re: Kyrie Irving Signs 5 year extension (Max)

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    I did, one year doesn't take away from him being a great player. He was injured after all.
    if deng continues his sucky ass performances this year then yeah, maybe Kyrie is a better player, but for now there's no chance.
    Kyrie hasn't proven he can be a good leader, or play winning basketball.

I agree with you on those two points, but what RBA and others are saying is that he's still very damn young.

He did take steps this past year. People say he regressed his last season and I say that that's BS. He played a more complete game this past season. He exerted himself much more defensively and did do a better job of moving the ball and not sticking so much. He's not so far off from being exactly where the cavs need him to be.

I'm hoping Blatt and the clinic that San Antonio put on Miami this year wakes his ass up and shows him that ball movement + easy buckets is better than ISO's all day every day.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    I agree with you on those two points, but what RBA and others are saying is that he's still very damn young.

He did take steps this past year. People say he regressed his last season and I say that that's BS. He played a more complete game this past season. He exerted himself much more defensively and did do a better job of moving the ball and not sticking so much. He's not so far off from being exactly where the cavs need him to be.

I'm hoping Blatt and the clinic that San Antonio put on Miami this year wakes his ass up and shows him that ball movement + easy buckets is better than ISO's all day every day.
    I'm not arguing that he's not improving, he obviously is and he will improve.
    But he's not a max player in any way, if you have to let him walk, then let him, don't pay such ridiculous amount of money for a player who's not worth more than 12 mil/y and even then if u don't have anything worth mentioning on your team.

I hope he finally lead the Cavs into the playoffs. Dude has a better supporting casts than Cleveland LeBron.

But he's not a max player in any way, if you have to let him walk, then let him, don't pay such ridiculous amount of money for a player who's not worth more than 12 mil/y and even then if u don't have anything worth mentioning on your team.

he's worth it and he's not.

He's like a pair of Gucci sunglasses. Are they worth the stupid expensive price tag? Hell no. Will somebody certainly pay the price for them? Of course.

It's Cleveland. They have to retain their young talent because they aren't getting any via free agency. Kyrie was going to get a max deal regardless if it was Cleveland or some other team. He's not truly a franchise player at this point, but his value on the NBA market is a max deal.

I think letting him walk depends on the franchise's ownership situation, and Cavs have Gilbert who has historically had 0 problems spending and has said he has no problem going into the lux tax. I'm not in love with Kyrie Irving as a Cavs fan, but letting him go would be a step back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    I hope he finally lead the Cavs into the playoffs. Dude has a better supporting casts than Cleveland LeBron.

That's debatable. Cavs are still a super young team and Lebron's teams were very veteran heavy.

Young teams don't typically do well in the NBA.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I said "at that stage in their respective careers.
    True. My bad, must've skipped that.

You don't think that Kyrie's continued improvement and eventual peak (when taking into account how young he is) doesn't warrant a max contract? You also have to remember that we're talking about the Cavs.

Good to hear for us. Finally, we have not just one but two players who have the potential to be a top 5 player or maybe even better at their position in this league. Just imagine if LeBron came now. I doubt he will but just imagine. All this young talent around him, money still left over to sign free agents who KNOW LeBron will be there. It would be unbelievable.

History made 2016 El Gato Negro's Avatar

correct me if im wrong but kyrie is only making a little over 7 mill this year and im guessing when his raise kicks in the year after he will only be getting like 11 million. people saying he isnt worth 12 do realize he wont see that for 3 more years right?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

how to shoot a team in the foot = Timberwolves Garnet era.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    But, again... perspective. This discussion is about whether or not Irving deserves the max. So look a little deeper than just "who had a better season."
    My statement wasn't about the topic at hand. Thread topic rarely stays on topic to begin with.

On topic, yes you pay him the max. Whether he's deserving of it is irrelevant for a young player. That really shouldn't have been up for discussion.
    Last edited by Legends66NBA7; 07-12-2014 at 03:33 AM.

Local High School Star

Kyrie did not earn his max contract. If he did, then we have incredibly low standards for max players, Deng is a better player and he's not getting a max, Parsons is a better player and he's not getting a max, same as Lowry.
    Of course it's a weak comparison, Isiah Thomas is better, has a better character, better passer, better defender, much more heart in him.
    Shit, I'd take Avery Bradley, Lance Stephenson over him in a heart beat.
    Kyrie is incredibly overrated, he's a no defense, injury prone gunner who has little to no passing ability as a point guard
    How do you feel about this deal now?
    And Avery Bradley, Lance Stephenson? C'mon man.

This deal was obviously a good decision even back then. \
    Cavs will win the chip in 2015-2016

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by CTbasketball92
    How do you feel about this deal now?
    And Avery Bradley, Lance Stephenson? C'mon man.

This deal was obviously a good decision even back then. \
    Cavs will win the chip in 2015-2016
    Nice bump.