Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Has Scoring Become Undervalued Here?

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Really? Wilt's always been ripped for his scoring dropping in the playoffs, and the knock on Garnett has always been that he isn't a "takeover scorer."

It's like this is Bizarro land now.
    way to state the obvious. Been he is being ranked as a player against his peers where does Garnett rank? Extremely high regardless of the fault in his game(not saying it is incorrect). Apparently people don't place that much value on lack of take over ability(I have less of a problem with a big having that quality than a guard).

And the Wilt thing is a whole nother argument. Wilt is ripped for everything in the world it seems.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    I'm assuming that when you say "takeover ability", you mean the ability to score off isolations, outside of the team game? That's always been controversial. You're as likely to destroy team chemistry, and shoot them out of the game, as you are to be a hero, and win it.
    God...

Lets talk about people that undervaluing Reggie/Dirk impact because apparently they can only "score"

People forgetting they helping the team with their clutch play in 4th quarter and not just that, because their scoring abilities opposition's defense "fear" them and that opened space to other player in Reggie/Dirk's team, the example is pretty evident from 2011 mavs or in extent, Bulls.

So this thread is about people that often saying shit like "he only scoring" and some player scoring impact is no less valuable than some player that more versatile in both ends.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Really? Wilt's always been ripped for his scoring dropping in the playoffs, and the knock on Garnett has always been that he isn't a "takeover scorer."

It's like this is Bizarro land now.
    way to state the obvious.
    You're the one who listed Wilt and Garnett when talking about players whose lack of takeover ability is overlooked, when they've always been knocked, which completely invalidates the point you were attempting to make.

You're the one who listed Wilt and Garnett when talking about players whose lack of takeover ability is overlooked, when they've always been knocked, which completely invalidates the point you were attempting to make.
    it doesn't invalidate the point. Because when he is ranked, not much value is given to that fault in comparison to other faults a player could have.

More value is placed on being versatile then is taken away for not being a great scorer.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Yea too many people are caught up on efficiency these days. They think if you can shoot 2 for 3, you can shoot 20 for 30 just as easily.

With the exception of a few threads, no, not really. In fact, most people here think it's ALL about scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    With the exception of a few threads, no not really. In fact, most people here think it's ALL about scoring.
    really, well I only read coherent posts. The other stuff I just skip.

I do know I read a lot of [melo or kobe or rose or durant or dirk] can only score stuff here. As if being able to score isnt really a big deal and you can just find other guys to do it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    really, well I only read coherent posts. The other stuff I just skip.
    Good point. It's mostly the trolls and idiots that spew that stuff. They have no regard for efficiency.

I do know I read a lot of [melo or kobe or rose or durant or dirk] can only score stuff here. As if being able to score isnt really a big deal and you can just find other guys to do it instead.
    Seen that too.

Do the threads on Pippen of late have any bearing on your opinion 'here'? Because in those threads, you're right, there are A LOT of posters (who'd rather have Pipp on their teams than Bryant) disregarding scoring for a few extra rebounds, assists, etc.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Yea too many people are caught up on efficiency these days. They think if you can shoot 2 for 3, you can shoot 20 for 30 just as easily.
    No one argues that Kerr > Jordan, because he was a more efficient scorer. But, if player A scores 28, on 50% EFG, and player B scores 26, on 60% EFG, and they play the same position, player B is probably a much better scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Good point. It's mostly the trolls and idiots that spew that stuff. They have no regard for efficiency.

Do the threads on Pippen of late have any bearing on your opinion 'here'? Because in those threads, you're right, there are A LOT of posters (who'd rather have Pipp on their teams than Bryant) disregarding scoring for a few extra rebounds, assists, etc.
    I have just been going back and looking and different threads I had bookmarked. I actually haven't read that one yet.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    No one argues that Kerr > Jordan, because he was a more efficient scorer.
    That's because Jordan has the highest career regular season and playoff scoring average in NBA history, and won 10 scoring titles. The volume between the two isn't even close, and it's not like Jordan was inefficient.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

That's because Jordan has the highest career regular season and playoff scoring average in NBA history, and won 10 scoring titles. The volume between the two isn't even close, and it's not like Jordan was inefficient.
    That's my point. No one thinks you can go 20 for 30, if you can go 2 for 3. It's only when scoring outputs are similar, that we compare player efficiency, and we're right to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiiu
    Its the Lebrick fan effect. Its the only way they can diminish what a player like Kobe, Durant,Melo and Rose bring to the table. Guys who like to wscore are considered" chuckers" to them
    Funny, because LeBron has the third highest points per game average in the history of basketball behind only Jordan and Chamberlain. Yeah, that makes perfec sense.

Local High School Star

u know whats overrated? Assists and Rebounds from a wing player

3-time NBA All-Star

I don't know where in the world this sentiment is coming from. Just because of one discussion on point guards, suddenly scoring has become "undervalued," when it's always been the #1 criteria for evaluating players by "most people."

na if you are good all around then you are better. thats why wade and lebron are ranked higher than dirk even though they beat him in the finals. The only thing dirk is better than both of them is scoring yet it beats 2 great all around players and so i believe that all around play is useless if youre not the best scorer.