Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Root Of All Evil

Default Re: 2003 Kobe Bryant. Greatest "Side-Kick" Season Ever?

Kobe Bryant wasn't a sidekick in 2003.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by laronprofit9
    I really don't understand how it's a bad thing Kobe was a sidekick to Shaq.

Most players in NBA history would be a sidekick to Shaq. When you have a guy who can give you 28 points a night on near 60% shooting, drawing most of the team's defensive attention with double and triple teams, forcing the opposing team to intentionally foul him, and just plain dominating an entire team on his own. You should by all means be the 1st option, and Phil Jackson made it so.

Most teams adjusted their teams for Shaq, not Kobe. Shaq caused more problems overall against the opposing team. Heck, I don't know one player past or present that would cause as many problems as Shaq. Even Michael Jordan.

Kobe Bryant being #2 to Shaq should hurt him in no way. He was still in the argument for being among the best players in the league, and he was probably the most productive #2 option in NBA history.
    Jordan wouldn't be a damn sidekick to Shaq. There is a difference between running the offense through a low post scorer, and being the best player on the team. Kobe had the ARGUMENT of being the best player on the Lakers as early as 2001.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Kobe had the ARGUMENT of being the best player on the Lakers as early as 2001.
    Not really, that's taking it a bit too far. I agree that he was no sidekick in 2003 and that even calling him a sidekick in '01 doesn't do his level of play justice, but O'Neal was considered by just about everyone to be the best player on not only the Lakers, but in the entire league. And while calling Kobe a sidekick in 2001 is deceptive because he was a top 3 player, a lot of people still considered him one.

Which means, get ready for more O'Neal and his sidekick Kobe Bryant.
    - 6/18/01 Los Angeles Times

With Kobe back as the faithful sidekick, the Lakers went on a tear
    - 6/4/01 Newsweek

Conspicuous by his absence was O'Neal's sidekick Bryant
    -6/7/01 Kansas City Star

If ONeal was the MVP Bryant was the Most Valuable Sidekick
    - 6/16/01 News Tribune

No matter how high he soars, he's still the sidekick to Shaquille O'Neal, the NBA's No. 1 unstoppable force.
    6/1/01 The Sun

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    1996 Scottie Pippen.
    LMAO @ the notion that '96 Pippen > 2003 Kobe, which is what it seems you're stating. Not even close.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

By no means was Kobe a sidekick in 02-03. What sidekick attempts 24 FGA per game? That's nearly 6 more than Shaq! Kobe surpassed Shaq as LA's best player that year and was clearly the team's #1 option.

My Top 5 sidekick seasons over the last 20 years would be '01 & '02 Kobe, '92 Pippen, '10 Gasol and '06 Shaq.
    Last edited by Indian guy; 10-28-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Not really, that's taking it a bit too far. I agree that he was no sidekick in 2003 and that even calling him a sidekick in '01 doesn't do his level of play justice, but O'Neal was considered by just about everyone to be the best player on not only the Lakers, but in the entire league. And while calling Kobe a sidekick in 2001 is deceptive because he was a top 3 player, a lot of people still considered him one.
    Sports writers selected Steve Nash as MVP in 2006, and Dirk Nowitzki as MVP in 2007. And you want me to believe the things they say? Kobe was def a sidekick in 2000, but the 2001 season ...

Oh yea and in 2001 Iverson won MVP ... and you def. disagree with that

29 PPG, 6 rpg, 5 apg?

Thats more than being a sidekick.

I said an argument could be made by 2001 that Kobe Bryant was the team's best player.

7-time NBA All-Star

Sports writers selected Steve Nash as MVP in 2006, and Dirk Nowitzki as MVP in 2007. And you want me to believe the things they say? Kobe was def a sidekick in 2000, but the 2001 season ...

Oh yea and in 2001 Iverson won MVP ... and you def. disagree with that

29 PPG, 6 rpg, 5 apg?

Thats more than being a sidekick.

I said an argument could be made by 2001 that Kobe Bryant was the team's best player.
    As I said twice, I don't think calling Kobe a sidekick is the best label myself, but Shaq was definitely the best player on the team.

Nothing against Kobe, who was top 3 that year, IMO, but Shaq was clearly better at that point. Like I said, starting in 2003 you could argue for either player, but I don't see a legit argument for Kobe over Shaq in '01.

Root Of All Evil

As I said twice, I don't think calling Kobe a sidekick is the best label myself, but Shaq was definitely the best player on the team.

Nothing against Kobe, who was top 3 that year, IMO, but Shaq was clearly better at that point. Like I said, starting in 2003 you could argue for either player, but I don't see a legit argument for Kobe over Shaq in '01.
    Maybe not better than Shaq, but a legit equal. Def not a sidekick in 2001.

7-time NBA All-Star

Maybe not better than Shaq, but a legit equal. Def not a sidekick in 2001.
    Nah, O'Neal was better statistically in the regular season and playoffs, the team was 11-3 w/ Shaq and w/o Kobe and just 5-3 w/ Kobe and w/o Shaq. Plus Shaq was more efficient offensively, got teams into a ridiculous amount of foul trouble, scored a bit more, drew more doubles and he was the anchor defensively.

I agree that sports writers are often idiots, but what about Larry Brown? Here's what he said of Shaq in 2001.

"I've never seen a better player in my life," 76ers coach Larry Brown said
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nba/0...5-shaq-mvp.htm

Banned

03 Kobe and Shaq were about equal. 03 it was quite obvious that Shaq had lost his motivation and didn't really get it back until 05. He didn't play defense as well, and didn't pick up his play in the playoffs like he did the previous three years.

Root Of All Evil

Nah, O'Neal was better statistically in the regular season and playoffs
    Didn't Kobe out perform him in numerous high profile AWAY games in those very playoffs?

The numbers aren't ridiculously better.

Shaq was more efficient offensively
    Shaq plays right next to the rim ... a Center should always be more efficient offensively than someone playing in the back court.

I agree that sports writers are often idiots, but what about Larry Brown? Here's what he said of Shaq in 2001.
    Hyperbole, maybe? Shaq, himself in that same year or time frame said Kobe Bryant was the best player in the game. Or something along those lines.

7-time NBA All-Star

Didn't Kobe out perform him in numerous high profile AWAY games in those very playoffs?
    Outperforming someone for a few games is not as impressive as outperforming someone for the playoffs as a whole and the season as a whole.

The numbers aren't ridiculously better.
    Regardless of how much better they are, they're better.

Shaq plays right next to the rim ... a Center should always be more efficient offensively than someone playing in the back court.
    I'm not talking about more impressive as far as the skills, I'm talking about effectiveness.

Hyperbole, maybe? Shaq, himself in that same year or time frame said Kobe Bryant was the best player in the game. Or something along those lines.

Yes, Shaq did say that, but Shaq is the same guy who said Garnett didn't play defense in '08 and a variety of other things. I don't think anyone takes what Shaq says seriously. I can't remember Larry Brown consistently joking and saying ridiculous things like Shaq has for years.

How much better Shaq was is arguable, and something I don't care enough about to argue, but he was better in 2001.

Root Of All Evil

How much better Shaq was is arguable, and something I don't care enough about to argue, but he was better in 2001.
    All I'm saying is that by labeling Kobe a sidekick in 2001 is diminishing what he actually was ... it was far more a two headed monster in LA in 2001 than it was Shaq, and his little Robin aka Kobe Bryant.

Wade was clearly better than Shaq in 2005 in the reg season and the playoffs, but you damn sure make a ridiculous argument that he was his team's best player that year.

You just have a bias towards Shaq, and thats cool. He's your guy. But it was much more a 1 a / 1 b scenario with Shaq and Kobe in 2001. Thats why they were so dominant. You had 2 of the top 5 players in the game on the same team. It was a two headed monster. Not Shaq, with his boy Tonto.

Kobe was the one who closed out some of the most important games and series that year as well. Calling him a sidekick is demeaning and is unjust given the quality of his play in 2001.

2000? No argument there. Clear sidekick. 2001? You have got to be ****ing kidding me w/ that bull shit.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I think Kobe has a legit argument - that for three years in the Laker 3 peat that he might be the best 2nd option in league history.

I still fav Pip as the best sidekick in league history because of the 6 rings and chemistry between Jordan and Pip.

But that Shaq / Kobe 3 peat (Kobe was a GREAT SIDEKICK)

-----------
    That is why even if he wins 6-8 rings , the value is not like Russell or Jordan.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    By no means was Kobe a sidekick in 02-03. What sidekick attempts 24 FGA per game? That's nearly 6 more than Shaq! Kobe surpassed Shaq as LA's best player that year and was clearly the team's #1 option.

My Top 5 sidekick seasons over the last 20 years would be '01 & '02 Kobe, '92 Pippen, '10 Gasol and '06 Shaq.
    How soon we forget.
    Many of those shots were contested , while Shaq sat in the lane wide open.
    While many people remember the glory moments of the Laker run ... I was a nuetral party , and saw many times Shaq shaking his head , or looking at the bench. Needless to say the comments from Tex Winter