Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default I forgot the excuse for why Lebron can't dominate Kawhi

Well, he won't have to deal with it this year, but I figured out why Lebron can't dominate Kawhi:

Lebron is quick for his size and for a forward, but not for a guard - that's why he isn't a mismatch for frontcourt players like Kawhi Leonard or Boris Diaw the way quick guards like Westbrook, Monta Ellis or MJ would be.

Regarding MJ, Magic Johnson says it best at the 4:21 and 5:26 marks after MJ scores on Phoenix's bouncy SF (Richard Dumas) twice in a row in the 1993 Finals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLLfcJhJ9wc&t=4m21s

"I'm sorry but... no way can you put a man that is not used to guarding Michael Jordan - or guarding guards - on Michael Jordan.."

In general, it always looks weird putting taller defenders on ultra-quick players - it feels like embarrassment is impending.. That's why even though Dennis Rodman won back-to-back DPOY as a SF in 1990 and 1991, Chuck Daly could only put Rodman on MJ in spurts.. The quicknes mismatch was just too obvious - MJ made it look like a coaching blunder when Rodman was left on him for too long.. Also, having a frontcourt player defend a guard like MJ messes up the defensive matchups for everyone else on the team - now the other team has to defend Scottie with a much shorter SG.

I guess that's why Lebron can't make mincemeat out of Kawhi the way MJ did Rodman: Lebron's a slower SF - therefore, he's not really a mismatch for frontcourt players the way players with true-guard quickness are (i.e. MJ, Westbrook, or Monta Ellis).
    Last edited by 3ball; 05-04-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Good college starter SwayDizzle's Avatar

Default Re: I forgot the excuse for why Lebron can't dominate Kawhi

solid post

You don't think Kawhi would make MJ's life tough? He would. He is as good a defender as Starks, Dumars, the late Bobby Phils.

Great thread, 6/6 stars.

NBA Legend

Bran > MJ > Kobe

Lebron averaged 27-10-6-2 against Kawhi in the playoff. I'd say he did okay.

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    So I tried to figure it out..

Lebron is quick for his size, but he isn't a guard, so he doesn't have true guard quickness - that's why he isn't a mismatch for frontcourt players like Kawhi Leonard or Boris Diaw the way quick guards like Westbrook, Monta Ellis or MJ would be.

you just blew my mind with this incredible analysis dude...genius

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    You don't think Kawhi would make MJ's life tough? He would. He is as good a defender as Starks, Dumars, the late Bobby Phils.
    Starks was 6'3" and gave MJ hell. I think Kawhi would do as good of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil
    Starks was 6'3" and gave MJ hell. I think Kawhi would do as good of a job.
    LOL that's debatable. He did help MJ have some of his worst games but all I remember is MJ dropping double nickels on him. That's what makes MJ the best, sure you could force a bad game from him (game 3 with Bulls down 0-2 in 1994). But next game he is coming back and dropping 40+. Stopped at least 1-2 championships for the Knicks, hate the SOB

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    LOL that's debatable. He did help MJ have some of his worst games but all I remember is MJ dropping double nickels on him. That's what makes MJ the best, sure you could force a bad game from him (game 3 with Bulls down 0-2 in 1994). But next game he is coming back and dropping 40+. Stopped at least 1-2 championships for the Knicks, hate the SOB
    MJ was retired in '94, it was 1993, and MJ shot 35% for the series outside of that game...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kamil

Starks was 6'3" and gave MJ hell.
    By "hell", do you mean getting thoroughly dominated to a greater extent than any one defender has ever been dominated in the modern era?

Next to the word "domination" in the dictionary should be a picture of what Jordan did to Starks.

But MJ dominated Starks largely because of his size/power advantage, not any quickness advantage..

Whereas MJ dominated Rodman because of the quickness - this is why you rarely see coaches make Rodman, Kawhi or other frontcourt players futilely defend guys like Westbrook, Monta Ellis or MJ.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    So I tried to figure it out..

Lebron is quick for his size, but he isn't a guard, so he doesn't have true guard quickness - that's why he isn't a mismatch for frontcourt players like Kawhi Leonard or Boris Diaw the way quick guards like Westbrook, Monta Ellis or MJ would be.
    None of this makes any sense. LeBron and Kawhi are both front court players. They both play the same position, in fact. So why exactly should this match-up be favorable to LeBron quickness-wise? Kawhi's much smaller than LeBron at 6'7, 230 pounds, and is very athletic on top of it. How is this match-up remotely similar to a guard going up against a front court player? And why are you lumping Boris Diaw, a pudgy PF, with an athletic SF in Kawhi?

What series were you watching??

LeBron averaged 25.3 ppg on 45 FG%, 10.9 rpg, 7.0 apg, 2.3 spg, and 0.9 bpg.in the 2013 NBA Finals

Lebron averaged 28.2 on 57.1 FG% 7.8 rpg, 4.0 apg, 2.0 bpg, and 0.4 spg in the 2014 NBA Finals.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Check out the stats with Kawhi specifically guarding Lebron and Lebron's numbers are sub 42%.

ESPN did an article about both of the past Finals and Lebron shot by far his worst against Kawhi.

Rarely see a player get inside another's head the way you see Kawhi get into leBron's.

Lebron has said it before - one of the reasons why Leonard is so effective is because of the guys he has behind him - Duncan, Splitter and Diaw. Lebron is "slower" than Leonard and can't get around him like say vs Diaw (this is done quickly) and if Lebron backs him down (done slowly), TD/Splitter/Diaw have time to come over and help. It's a bad matchup for Lebron because he doesn't play with an offensive (post scoring - not a perimeter scoring who anyone can switch onto) big man who must be guarded at all times.

Why do you think Kobe has 5 rings - that all important POST big man (not Bosh, Love types)?