Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: If Barry Bonds played in the 1960s, what kind of numbers would he average?

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    The real question would be...

how would Mickey Mantle have fared in the 2000's, with PEDs instead of alcohol, and much better medical technology?

What about Babe Ruth with real nutrition and training?

It was much harder to hit home runs in Ruth's era. The massive parks and dead baseball more than made up for the slightly weaker pitching

Local High School Star

Default Re: If Barry Bonds played in the 1960s, what kind of numbers would he average?

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035

It was much harder to hit home runs in Ruth's era. The massive parks and dead baseball more than made up for the slightly weaker pitching
    Well, they actually livened the balls almost right as Ruth was becoming a full-time position player, and the dimensions of YS were favourable to him and other righties. Big reason they called it "the house that Ruth built".

Unfortunately, it also GREATLY hampered lefties, more than any park in baseball history. Look at Joe D's splits

Home: .315/.391/.546, 148 homers
    Road: .333/.405/.605, 213 homers

Anyways, regardless, Ruth was so naturally powerful, had such amazing hand-eye coordination and reaction time at the plate, as well as plate discipline that was well ahead of his time, that he'd be a monster in any generation. GOAT hitter and would have been a historically great pitcher had he stayed on the mound (top 5 pitcher at the start of his career and has an insane world series ERA, something like 0.60 in 50 or so innings).

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035

Yeah, but he only played against whites... When you disallow a huge % of possible athletes you get weak competition

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    The real question would be...

how would Mickey Mantle have fared in the 2000's, with PEDs instead of alcohol, and much better medical technology?
    We don't have alcohol in the 2000's? Once a 'lic, always a 'lic

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    We don't have alcohol in the 2000's? Once a 'lic, always a 'lic
    Even with his many vices, and the litany of injuries he endured, he was one of the best ever.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    Just give them all the World Series rings now.
    Come on now. You know baseball doesn't work like that.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Pre-steroids Bonds had a body that could make for a good point guard I guess but with the various skills required to play basketball it's really impossible to tell what kind of player he would be. The level of athleticism has improved over the years but assuming a guy would be a good player from a completely different sport just because we turned back the clock is a major stretch.

This is libelous.

Unbecomming of a moderator.

If he gets to use a corked bat like babe ruth, joltin joe, maris, etc used then he'd hit 100

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
    It usually doesn't. Mays and Bonds together in an outfield would be something special.

Quote Originally Posted by PejaTheSerbSnip
    Well, they actually livened the balls almost right as Ruth was becoming a full-time position player, and the dimensions of YS were favourable to him and other righties. Big reason they called it "the house that Ruth built".

Unfortunately, it also GREATLY hampered lefties, more than any park in baseball history. Look at Joe D's splits

Home: .315/.391/.546, 148 homers
    Road: .333/.405/.605, 213 homers

Anyways, regardless, Ruth was so naturally powerful, had such amazing hand-eye coordination and reaction time at the plate, as well as plate discipline that was well ahead of his time, that he'd be a monster in any generation. GOAT hitter and would have been a historically great pitcher had he stayed on the mound (top 5 pitcher at the start of his career and has an insane world series ERA, something like 0.60 in 50 or so innings).
    Babe Ruth had 347 HR at home, and 367 on the road

He was also not just destroying every individual, but hitting more HR than most entire teams on multiple occasions. If the ball was really live, almost everyone else must have sucked

The two GOAT position players on the same team would be something really special.

Nobody that played their prime pre-integration can qualify as a GOAT in my book

3-4 HR's a game. So probably 400,000,000

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    The two GOAT position players on the same team would be something really special.

Nobody that played their prime pre-integration can qualify as a GOAT in my book
    I mean of course it would be special to watch, but there's absolutely no guarantees for rings ever.

Ted Williams is the greatest hitter ever.

Does he get to bring the steroids and HGH with him?

I mean of course it would be special to watch, but there's absolutely no guarantees for rings ever.

Ted Williams is the greatest hitter ever.
    Probably, but Bonds and Mays were 5 tool players and were comparable hitters. Bonds has the best eye of any hitter I have ever seen. I'd take Mays over Williams for that GOAT level D