Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where does this in-game dunk rank all-time?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    DR. J had to have a 7-foot wingspan or something.
    Must have. There's a thread from earlier this year asking what his wingspan was, and Cavs responded that it was unknown.

The good Doctor averaged 1.7 blocks for his career, and 1.5 for 11 seasons on Philly, which must be near the best for a small forward all-time.

As a comparison, James and Pippen average(d) 0.8 blocks for their careers as excellent defenders with elite athleticism. Wade, the GOAT shot blocking guard (not named West), averages 1.0.

It's also interesting to note that Erving averaged the same amount of steals as Pippen did over his career (2.0). Even just counting the 76ers, he's at 1.8, which is the same as Wade's and 0.1 better than James.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Must have. There's a thread from earlier this year asking what his wingspan was, and Cavs responded that it was unknown.

The good Doctor averaged 1.7 blocks for his career, and 1.5 for 11 seasons on Philly, which must be near the best for a small forward all-time.

As a comparison, James and Pippen average(d) 0.8 blocks for their careers as excellent defenders with elite athleticism. Wade, the GOAT shot blocking guard (not named West), averages 1.0.

It's also interesting to note that Erving averaged the same amount of steals as Pippen did over his career (2.0). Even just counting the 76ers, he's at 1.8, which is the same as Wade's and 0.1 better than James.
    Damn considering all that why didn't he ever win dpoy?

Quote Originally Posted by kureyşi-gospurs
    I would guess some big ass centers were around protecting the rim.

Certainly one of the greatest, nastiest ever, also considering it happened in the Finals... Here's a better look at it, with better quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vTGoG53bF4&t=2m16s

And that's over Bob Gross (he ran back and contested it pretty well but that's the Dr); ignorant people will look at him and say "just another white stiff" but he was 6'7 and a pretty good athlete/defender, sorta like of a poor man's Bobby Jones in terms of those things, and also brought nice all-around, team-oriented, smart offense... Here's him with a nice chasedown block:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emcsF4R7O4I&t=7m18s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emcsF4R7O4I&t=7m55s

I've always prefered these dunks over that one, though..

Over Bill Walton (same game of those Finals ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNg8odilDY
    Over Kareem in the 1977 all-star game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je_3BSL3fk8&t=0m34s

Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 06-08-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Doc played terrific off-ball defense.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Black and white videos are ineligible, sorry

Kobelicious

i seriously think Dr.J should be on everyone top 10 list

dude was insane, MJ before MJ

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

DR. J could not do that dunk today. If you took that prime version of him and put him into today's league, no way does he pull that off..... global warning has had a direct impact on humidity which makes it harder to jump. The jumping climate is not as weak as it was back then. Put Westbrook or Lebron back in that era and they would literally be dunking on 15 foot rims. The jump climate was so easy back then that guys like DR. appear as if they are floating....I swear like some Willy Wonka bubble type shit . I can't believe the OP is even acting like this dunk was special...he never took into account the bouncy wood floor they used and the defender being white.

Kobelicious

^ agree, today's gravity is like namek compared to earth's in 60s

NBA Superstar

The full dunk from when he takes off:

http://youtu.be/HAqpkjFPbVY?t=5m12s
    The super slow motion kind of changes that dunk a little, makes it look like he was floating up there forever. It's kind of the Clyde Drexler effect, where that low angle makes it look like he's taking off from 18 feet and just cruising in.

But then, the real speed, TV camera shot of that Drexler dunk looks a little more standard. Still spectacular, but not like a super slow-mo low angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVZhRBlvf_s

That said, I remember being in around 5th grade or so, watching NBA's Greatest Games on ESPN (the 30 minute show hosted by Dan Patrick). That Sixers game was on one episode. I knew about Erving at that point, but hadn't see a ton from him. That dunk on Gross absolutely blew younger me away.

One of the crazier things about that play was how Gross had an angle on Erving for a significant portion of that break. If you watch the broadcast clip, Bob's ahead of him by a step or two. Conventional logic says that a contested layup, charge, or block may be forthcoming. But watching that clip for the first time, when Erving just rises from nothing, with Gross jumping as high as he could in stride (and in perfect position), only for Julius to rise and finish as if it were just another routine drive... incredible, even for a kid in the midst of his 90's Shawn Kemp fanaticism.

I also remember my mind being a little blown by how standard everything felt. Erving completed that dunk, the commentators mention it, but then the ball is immediately inbounded and everyone moved on like nothing happened. I was like, "Wait... what? Am I the only one who just saw a guy take off a half step inside the free throw line and crush on a 6'7'' defender in good position during a key moment in the NBA Finals?"

The normal clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sydqhxpN2ms
    Last edited by Rake2204; 06-08-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kureyşi-gospurs
    He and Bobby Jones used to terrorize NBA wings.
    They were both DPOY worthy.

NBA rookie of the year

Dr. J dunking over Mark Eaton in his 30s.

Holy shit! Fearless!