Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Knowing what we know now from the '96 draft...

My favorite draft class of all time

I'll still take this guy a #1

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dbugz
    My favorite draft class of all time

I'll still take this guy a #1
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez
    You are taking out the fact that Allen's Sixers teams played in the JV East back then. And Kobe's teams before Gasol, played in the West where the 8th seed had 50 win game seasons.

Playoffs he missed Kobe was injured.

And I would take Iverson's team over a team that had Smush Parker and Kwame Brown as their starters. Stop being ignorant.
    He always injured when he fails

Iverson had 56 wins and best record after Spurs. Tied with Shaq&Kobe Lakers.Only decent player was 35 years old Mutombo.

Anyway,you would pick Kobe,I would pick Iverson.

Root Of All Evil

Iverson's Sixers were better than Kobe's '06 and '07 Lakers.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

That's right. Kerry Kittles.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalD24
    Good post. In addiction, people seriously need to start considering the conference strength. Not all runs to the finals are equal.

The eastern conference has been the leastern conference from the time MJ retired till about 2007-08 season with the formation of the Boston Celtics. There's a reason why LeBron's 2007 Cavs made it to the finals and 08, 09 and 10 Cavs didn't even sniff near it.. and no it isn't because the Cavs roster got worse, it got infinitely better.. as did James.

I find it odd how people seem to overlook this glaring factor.
    Yeah, Philly benefitted from Hill's and Zo's injuries. That killed some of the comp in the East.

If Zo didn't go down that year, the Heat were gonna make the finals. We won 50 games with him out the entire year. Just imagine how insane the D would be.

Bowen, Grant, Mase, Timbug and Zo.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    I would've loved to have seen Kobe's career be played out in Philly. His hometown, and where his dad played. Take Iverson's scoring years, and add 3 - 5 ppg onto each average and we'd have Kobe. His career averages would've been a lot higher. And we would've saw possibly more 81 point type games.
    Thank god that didn't happen! He was too big/good for them...he belongs right here in LA.

Allen Iverson- washed up, now begging NBA teams to give him a second chance
    Kobe Bryant- 5 rings, 3 MVPS, 7 finals appearances, multiple other accolades, Laker legend

Anyone who would pick Iverson over Kobe, knowing how things turned out, must either be INSANE or just an idiot who doesn't want to admit Kobe is the greatest thing to come out of that draft. Or they are just too stupid to understand how basketball works...you know, guy with 5 rings > guy who's not even in the league anymore. Don't have to be too bright to grasp that.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Iverson's Sixers were better than Kobe's '06 and '07 Lakers.
    Yes, Iverson's best team was better than Kobe's worst team....what does that prove?

This thread could have been much better if we exclude AI and Kobe on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by swanson333
    Tell me your kidding?? I don't even like kobe but to say you would still draft A.I. ahead of him is rediculous! Every GM in the league would take Kobe #1.
    I can see how he thinks though, from the get go Allen Iverson was better, people seem to not remember (or dont know) that Kobe was even dubbed by some as simply the next Harold Miner, no skill, just vertical leap, he really was not good of a player coming in to the NBA, i mean not as good as most top draft Rookies (and Sophomores).

Then if you think realistically, what if Allen Iverson played with Shaq and Kobe didnt?

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    Thank god that didn't happen! He was too big/good for them...he belongs right here in LA.

Allen Iverson- washed up, now begging NBA teams to give him a second chance
    Kobe Bryant- 5 rings, 3 MVPS, 7 finals appearances, multiple other accolades, Laker legend

Anyone who would pick Iverson over Kobe, knowing how things turned out, must either be INSANE or just an idiot who doesn't want to admit Kobe is the greatest thing to come out of that draft. Or they are just too stupid to understand how basketball works...you know, guy with 5 rings > guy who's not even in the league anymore. Don't have to be too bright to grasp that.
    Too bad you are too busy slurping Kobe to realize that Kobe just wasnt ready for that kind of spotlight. He was young and being a number one pick in a sports town as critical as Philly might have destroyed him. That's a ton of pressure for a guy who still has to fight for a starting spot unless they move Stack to the three.

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

I would take Iverson, no question about it.

Kobe is/was the better player in the long run, but Iverson was NBA ready. The biggest problem we had was the drafts after though,if we had taking Pierce in 1998, we may have had a chance to compete for a championshp or two.

@ Kobe stans.

Nobody would go crazy and call others morons if we picked Barkley over Duncan.
    Because there is no Duncan stans. But when somebody pick Iverson over Kobe..all stans lose their minds.

Iverson.Former MVP.One of the rare guys reached finals with bad squad.3rd most scoring titles.6th best ppg in seasons history.2nd best ppg in playoffs.One of the best stealers.He was one of top players since 96 to 08.

It's not like we are taking Sam Bowie over Jordan.It's more like would you draft Wade or Lebron.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    @ Kobe stans.

Nobody would go crazy and call others morons if we picked Barkley over Duncan.
    Because there is no Duncan stans. But when somebody pick Iverson over Kobe..all stans lose their minds.

Iverson.Former MVP.One of the rare guys reached finals with bad squad.3rd most scoring titles.6th best ppg in seasons history.2nd best ppg in playoffs.One of the best stealers.He was one of top players since 96 to 08.

It's not like we are taking Sam Bowie over Jordan.It's more like would you draft Wade or Lebron.
    Definitely not.

I don't see how anyone can draft AI ahead of Kobe knowing what we know now.

The only way I can see it is if someone thinks Kobe wouldn't become the same player that he is now. I don't feel that way. He was always talented and had potential. You had people declaring him the next MJ in the 98 all star game. The heir apparent.

You list Iverson's accomplishments and they're impressive but they're dwarfed by Kobe's. Really not seeing any case to be made for AI.

Back then? I'd agree but not now.

Has to be Kobe, then Allen Iverson.