Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bo Jackson: No Two-Sport Athletes Because Talent Pool Much Deeper

Quote Originally Posted by King Jane
    outdated primitive athlete knows hed be a scrub against todays hyper athletes that r better trained and more evolved, whats new? nothing to see here
    Hmmm...

Bo ran the fastest ever recorded 40 yard time at the NFL combine....some 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Hmmm...

Bo ran the fastest ever recorded 40 yard time at the NFL combine....some 30 years ago.

Word.

Slayed.

No Jackson. Goat athlete. No doubt. End of story.

He's right too. Everything is specialized. My homies son is in 6th grade. Dominating aau. And football. This is last year his dad is letting him play football. Focusing on hoops.

Hmmm...

It was a hand reaction speed though......

Makes sense. If you split your time between two sports, someone else is focusing all their time on one sport and will be better than you.

Bo is saying that just being a freak all-time great athlete like he was isn't enough to dominate two sports now. There are too many freak athletes to get by purely on athleticism and talent.

nobody is saying Bo isn't one of the GOAT pure athletes. Or Wilt. It's just that there are more guys nowadays that are comparable to them in terms of athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Makes sense. If you split your time between two sports, someone else is focusing all their time on one sport and will be better than you.

Bo is saying that just being a freak all-time great athlete like he was isn't enough to dominate two sports now. There are too many freak athletes to get by purely on athleticism and talent.

nobody is saying Bo isn't one of the GOAT pure athletes. Or Wilt. It's just that there are more guys nowadays that are comparable to them in terms of athleticism.
    Who is comparable to Wilt in terms of size / athletisisim?

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Who is comparable to Wilt in terms of size / athletisisim?
    well nobody if you actually believe he weighed 325lbs and out bench pressed pro weightlifters

I'm not getting into it with you crazy ass wilt stans.

but on the real? Javale Mcgee can jump out of the building and is as tall. Andre Drummond is a beastly 280lb at 21 years old. Dwight before his back surgery. DeAndre Jordan is a freak.

Boogie Cousins takes it coast to coast just like Wilt in those vids

And we aren't even talking guys like the Admiral or Shaq.

Plus, did they even test for PEDs back then?

Dunking on everybody in the park

Hmmm...

Yup, it was reported that Bo Jackson ran a 4.15 40 yard dash at the NFL combine, which is the fastest time ever recorded at the combine.

Unfortunately it was clocked by hand and not electronically, which would've been ideal. But multiple people were there that came up with the same time by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    well nobody if you actually believe he weighed 325lbs and out bench pressed pro weightlifters

I'm not getting into it with you crazy ass wilt stans.

but on the real? Javale Mcgee can jump out of the building and is as tall. Andre Drummond is a beastly 280lb at 21 years old. Dwight before his back surgery. DeAndre Jordan is a freak.

Boogie Cousins takes it coast to coast just like Wilt in those vids

And we aren't even talking guys like the Admiral or Shaq.

Plus, did they even test for PEDs back then?
    Crazy ass Wilt stans? To live in a world where you can discredit someone so simply

Anyways, I'm going to keep this short seeing as you'll get longer responses from others

How much do you think late Orlando Shaq/Early lakers Shaq could bench with that 7'7 wingspan? Dwight is on film repping between 325 and 365, neither Wilt or Shaq when they were heavier than him could possibly bench more than that in your opinion? Plus, how many centers today are on par with Dwights strength? Or in the history of the NBA for that matter

McGee is an idiot who happens to be long with hops, he doesn't have the weight/strength, speed, stamina and probably not even the hops Chamberlain had.

Drummond is only 6'9(With a great wingspan) and probably doesn't weigh much more than Unseld or Embry...Nor is he as athletic and strong as someone like Artis Gilmore....Wilt didn't have much trouble moving those guys around, although he did have a harder time

I'm just trying to think of what todays centers offer athletically/size wise that guys like Russell, Thurmond, Gilmore, Unseld, Embry, Bellamy, Kareem didn't...

Not even Shaq and Admiral come together as a whole athletically as Wilt...

"Shaquille didn't have quite the same athleticism that Wilt had," said Jackson. "He had the bounce and he had the speed, but he didn't have the endurance." -Phil Jackson

I'm not saying these guys wouldn't be able to get there's against Wilt....of course they would, especially the likes of Robinson and Shaq...But I think you'd be seeing this more often than the other way around....

Also, how many times a year would Wilt face these guys who are apparently on his level in comparison to the guys he faced at his time? Like 2-4 times a year compared to what? 9+? I didn't realize there were 30 Wilt like specimens running around at the center position today...And that's just the starters. What super duper mega athletes we get to behold
    Last edited by jongib369; 09-25-2014 at 12:33 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I think it mostly has to do with guys specializing at a much much earlier age than ever before. Even 20 years ago when I was in HS, it was unusual for the best guys not to play multiple sports. They were the best athletes.

Honestly that actually sound more like what he's saying. It's less that the workouts are that much more dynamic, than it is that they're more specialized.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Crazy ass Wwith that 7'7 wingspan? Dwight is on film repping between 325 and 365, neit
    u do know those plates in that vid was fake right?

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    u do know those plates in that vid was fake right?
    http://youtu.be/lek3aSbUsUM

Those are fake?

yea.. well maybe not all of it but the middle plate is less than 45s they are show plates for videos etc
    Last edited by inclinerator; 09-25-2014 at 03:04 PM.

I think dudes like Shaq and Wilt could bench 400+. Wilt because he actually benched for real... but I don't think he got to 500. Would be v surprised. Didn't someone say he hit 500?

Shaq is just big... everyone thinks that wingspan makes it impossible to bench, but these dudes are big. Ben Wallace has pretty long arms, too, and I bet he could hit 400+.

If you wanna say can these guys bench at olympic levels, no... but people on weight lifting forums like LOL I BET SHAQ CANT EVEN HIT 300. It's like get the **** out of here.

These people are ****ing mutants, for real. Plus on PEDs. At some point, their strength eclipses the 'disadvantage' of their wing span. Esp if they hit low reps and I am pretty sure all of those guy did.

Maybe they mean if they had never touched a weight they wouldn't hit 300. I can believe that, but once they started training srs... that's nonsense.

-Smak

Bo >>> Wilt

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I think dudes like Shaq and Wilt could bench 400+. Wilt because he actually benched for real... but I don't think he got to 500. Would be v surprised. Didn't someone say he hit 500?

Shaq is just big... everyone thinks that wingspan makes it impossible to bench, but these dudes are big. Ben Wallace has pretty long arms, too, and I bet he could hit 400+.

If you wanna say can these guys bench at olympic levels, no... but people on weight lifting forums like LOL I BET SHAQ CANT EVEN HIT 300. It's like get the **** out of here.

These people are ****ing mutants, for real. Plus on PEDs. At some point, their strength eclipses the 'disadvantage' of their wing span. Esp if they hit low reps and I am pretty sure all of those guy did.

Maybe they mean if they had never touched a weight they wouldn't hit 300. I can believe that, but once they started training srs... that's nonsense.

-Smak
    well shaq already did 315 on vid but failed 405