Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once tomkiddo91's Avatar

Default Re: Why Don't American Coaches Teach About How Damaging Dunking Can Be For Players?

As much as I hate to agree/listen to anything Euroleague says, I'm also pretty sure I've heard Charles Barkley credit his dunking in his younger years to his breaking down in later ones.

Still, it is Euroleague so nvm.

Default Re: Why Don't American Coaches Teach About How Damaging Dunking Can Be For Players?

Quote Originally Posted by esiotrot

Westbrook only runs faster, changes direction quicker, is more durable, jumps higher, and has better explosion.

Spanoulis has him beat in everything else.
    Spanoulis is more athletic than Derrick Rose and Westbrook combined. He'd average 25 ppg in the NBA if he played there today. Forget his 4 ppg average during his short-lived Rockets career. The coach didn't want to unleash his athletic prowess on the court.

Anyway, OP is just mad that Euroleague players can't barely dunk.

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomkiddo91
    As much as I hate to agree/listen to anything Euroleague says, I'm also pretty sure I've heard Charles Barkley credit his dunking in his younger years to his breaking down in later ones.

Still, it is Euroleague so nvm.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that had more to do with his fat ass. Dude was horribly out of shape in his later years and when he got to the Rockets he looked like butter bean out there. When you carry extra weight it puts 5x more stress on your knees than dunking ever will.

Michael Jordan was a high flyer and was productive into his 40's, but he always stayed in shape and took care of his body. Crispie cream isn't exactly a good workout program.

Every player has so many jumps in their legs, the same way every football player only has so many snaps in their career. You're picking up wear and tear every time you step out on a court, but I doubt dunking a ball (which a player probably averages less than 1 dunk per game) greatly decreases their career longevity.. especially since players no longer log the kind of minutes other players did back in the day.

American coaches are never going to teach their players not to dunk, because they're smart enough to realize a big thunder dunk ignites a crowd and can swing the momentum of a game or further extend a run. It's also the highest percentage shot in basketball.. why the hell would they tell their players not to do that.
    Last edited by TMac&Luther; 04-06-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Learning to shoot layups MtMutombo's Avatar

Depends on the body. I dont see a Javale Mcgee ever taking a knee injury. I dont really see a Blake Griffin taking one either. IDK, sounds like it makes sense in light of recent trends but it depends on the body.

Youd think James Harden would be in for one.

Quote Originally Posted by MtMutombo
    Depends on the body. I dont see a Javale Mcgee ever taking a knee injury. I dont really see a Blake Griffin taking one either. IDK, sounds like it makes sense in light of recent trends but it depends on the body.

Youd think James Harden would be in for one.
    He broke his kneecap and tore his meniscus already.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Westbrook's under 6'5, dunks at least once a game with POWER, and he's never missed a game in the NBA or college because of injury. Meanwhile Kyrie who has like 5 dunks in 2 years has missed game after game.

I wouldn't say it's that big a deal whether a smaller player dunks or not
    Westbrook was the first thing that popped into my mind as I was reading Euroleague's post. He finally posted something worth reading and not another thread about how bad the Euroleague is compared to the NBA.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    I didn't make any such claim. I am just saying that it's been proven through testing in sports labs that dunking DOES cause unneeded stress to the body. Obviously some guys are built to take that stress better than others.

Like Shaq for example. But some guys obviously are NOT built to take that stress as well. Like for example, Amare or McDyess that both clearly damaged their knees from too much power dunking.
    I heard about another test that was being done. It said that playing good defense and hustling is damaging for players too! That's why Andrei Kirilenko, Andrew Bogut and Manu Ginobili are so injury prone. Smart players like Kobe and Lebron are so durable because they save their energy and only play defense during important times. This has been proven by many advanced sports labs across the world.

Quote Originally Posted by magic14
    I heard about another test that was being done. It said that playing good defense and hustling is damaging for players too! That's why Andrei Kirilenko, Andrew Bogut and Manu Ginobili are so injury prone. Smart players like Kobe and Lebron are so durable because they save their energy and only play defense during important times. This has been proven by many advanced sports labs across the world.
    Buwahahahahaha!

/thread

Can euroleague players even dunk? lol

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LBJFTW
    Westbrook was the first thing that popped into my mind as I was reading Euroleague's post. He finally posted something worth reading and not another thread about how bad the Euroleague is compared to the NBA.
    Westbrook is healthy now but he will have problems with his knees when he's 40 or 50 .

Quote Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing
    Can euroleague players even dunk? lol
    When I was in Athens playing pickup ball I was dunking on all them niqqas! Bunch of Panathanikos fans learned real quick how we do it in America.

And no, one else on the court could dunk so that pretty much translates to Euro League. Even the great Nikos Galis couldn't dunk.
    Last edited by LBJFTW; 04-07-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
    Westbrook is healthy now but he will have problems with his knees when he's 40 or 50 .
    But he'll already have retired as the most durable player to ever lace them up by that time.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
    So will every other professinal basketball player/athlete in which they are required to run and jump for a extended periods of years.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJFTW
    When I was in Athens playing pickup ball I was dunking on all them niqqas! Bunch of Panathanikos fans learned real quick how we do it in America.

And no, one else on the court could dunk so that pretty much translates to Euro League. Even the great Nikos Galis couldn't dunk.
    Showing them how sh*t is done!

He actually makes a reasonable point.

This connects with a larger issue, which is that the NBA is part of the entertainment business as well as a sport. As a result, players are treated like merchandise instead of human beings. It's all part of the game, of course, and most players know and accept that, but it's a reality nonetheless. So when it comes to things like long term health, a player's best interests often conflict with his team's.