Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Is Lebron James capable of guarding all 5 positions?

Someone believes so....

I think it is better that I make a new thread about it since he is derailing the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    Is it really biased to say LeBron can guard all 5 positions when I have watched the man do it for his entire career? He has guarded Rondo, Paul, and Rose, and shut them all down. He has guarded Kobe, and Wade. He has guarded Granger, Melo, Durant, nd shut them all down. He has guarded a bunch of PF's, and I have seen him guard Dwight Howard and not let him score in the post. His ability is fantastic. He is one of the most versatile NBA players of all time, can literally play 4 positions at an all star level. The only other players with his versatility are Pippen and Rodman, but Rodman could not have played SG, or PG (offensively).
    Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    Refute my point then? If you want me to just stop then why are you posting on a message board. Riddle me this. Who guarded Rondo when the Cavs played the Celtics in '09, who guarded Rose? In the 2009-2010 season against the Magic LeBron stopped Dwight from scoring, if he can stop Dwight he can stop any other C. Look for PF's he has guarded. Shard is one from the 2009 playoffs. All you say is I am biased, but I can actually prove my point. You on the other hand provide no counter argument.

Of course this is also the same guy that says Lebron is the best non-PG passer ever and also says that Lebron James would be taken first in an all-time draft over anyone including the likes of Kareem, MJ, Russell, etc.

B-Eazy Mike Beasley MichaelCheazley's Avatar

Default Re: Is Lebron James capable of guarding all 5 positions?

I think he can. But it depends.Any player playing each position counts?

Banned

No. He can guard 1-3 very well if he wants, can probably guard some small and more perimeter oriented PF's, but I doubt he can guard any center effectively on a consistent basis and I've never seen him do it.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Anyone 6'9 or shorter he's got a shot but I don't recall ever seeing him guard a 7-footer.

I've never said LeBron would be taken first in an all time draft lol. I have said he would easily be top 5 though, and be taken over Jordan for sure. If all the GM's knew about them was what was known at the time of their drafts. If they knew that Jordan would be GOAT he would be first obviously.

That said Shaq would likely go first overall, followed by Wilt, Duncan, LeBron and then Jordan. Very subjective.

Oh and you forgot my first post where I said and I qoute

LeBron could literally play the PG, SG, SF, PF, and most C's straight up without a drop off in his defensive ability
    Edit: LeBron is the best passing non PG ever.

Local High School Star

yes he can but not successfully

you guys are stupid if you think lebron james could consistently gaurd a great pointguard....you seen what chris paul did.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    you guys are stupid if you think lebron james could consistently gaurd a great pointguard....you seen what chris paul did.
    I've seen CP3 being guarded by LeBron before. He was lighting the Cavs up all game, then LeBron played him in the fourth, and I believe he went pointless.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Depends on the center: Bargnani, possibly; Bynum, no.

As far as the all-time draft goes I may take Lebron first if it were based purely off of scouting and not knowing what they would have done in the NBA.

I think he can guard 2's/3's/ and smaller 4's on a consistent basis. He would struggle against crafty point guards who can shoot the midrange reliably (like 08-09 Paul), and bigger power forwards (Imagine him trying to guard prime Tim Duncan or someone with McHale's post moves). You can put him on centers with minimal scoring skills, but he'd get chewed up against good scoring centers. Maybe in short bursts he can hold his own a bit with some help D.

Derrick "Modern Day Isiah Thomas" Rose is a great PG.

didnt rondo light him up when he tried guard him in 2010?

james has a shot at guarding any perimeter player, and some big men, ive never seen him shut down a good, interior, power forward. guarding rashard lewis doesnt mean you can guard power forwards.

id dont remember him ever guarding dwight, let alone shutting him down, or ever hearing about that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    I think he can guard 2's/3's/ and smaller 4's on a consistent basis. He would struggle against crafty point guards who can shoot the midrange reliably (like 08-09 Paul), and bigger power forwards (Imagine him trying to guard prime Tim Duncan or someone with McHale's post moves). You can put him on centers with minimal scoring skills, but he'd get chewed up against good scoring centers. Maybe in short bursts he can hold his own a bit with some help D.
    Here's the thing. Nobody coul guard prime Duncan, and nobody can guard C's 1 on 1 if they are great offensive players.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

You're stupid if you've already forgotten how he defended Derrick Rose. In reality the toughest thing for a player to deal with is a bigger defender with exceptional quickness and agility.

Well I am done with this guy. He has not even tried to refute my posts. All he does is have other people fight his battles for him, and from what I gather from this thread people don't necessarily disagree with me. As I said he could guard most C's in the NBA today. And he can guard PG's thru PF's. You're not going to ask LeBron to guard Gasol, prime Duncan, or prime Shaq, but he could easily guard Horford, Noah, Varejao, Camby, etc. Again you're not going to ask him to guard Dwight Howard for 20 minutes a game.