Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How good would Dwight be next year with Kobe teaching him post moves?

As a Dwight stan, I hope that Gasol teaches him some moves. I'm still butt hurt that he didn't come to Houston. I still haven't come to terms that he's not here, but I'm getting there. He won't work with Kobe because he doesn't have the footwork yet. You can't really execute Hakeem's moves without good footwork. He will need to work with him more.

To the poster who said Dwight doesn't have a good offensive skill set, I'm curious because he's the highest scoring center in the NBA. If it didn't take skill, then every center would turn and dunk like he does right? That's where I get hung up. He's got the 2nd best offensive skillset for centers in the NBA right now. It's not the most complex or anything, but it still does take skill.

Banned

Default Re: How good would Dwight be next year with Kobe teaching him post moves?

Kobe can't teach Dwight Howard touch or intelligence.

But if Dwight is third option of offense behind Kobe and Gasol and being fed easy dunks by Nash that won't matter, he'll still get 18-20 ppg and not complain hopefully.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    As a Dwight stan, I hope that Gasol teaches him some moves. I'm still butt hurt that he didn't come to Houston. I still haven't come to terms that he's not here, but I'm getting there. He won't work with Kobe because he doesn't have the footwork yet. You can't really execute Hakeem's moves without good footwork. He will need to work with him more.

To the poster who said Dwight doesn't have a good offensive skill set, I'm curious because he's the highest scoring center in the NBA. If it didn't take skill, then every center would turn and dunk like he does right? That's where I get hung up. He's got the 2nd best offensive skillset for centers in the NBA right now. It's not the most complex or anything, but it still does take skill.
    Bogut, Cousins, Bynum, JaVale McGee (yes he's actually highly skilled and has a varied array of post moves he has shown), Hibbert, Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol, Andrea Bargnani, Lopez all have more offensive skill.

Howard is just incredibly strong and athletic and gets fouled alot so gets alot of freethrows. His footwork is still really bad, he travels alot (which goes uncalled) and their was one season where for the first 20 games he actually showed some varied post moves before just going right back into his clanking running hook over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Bogut, Cousins, Bynum, JaVale McGee (yes he's actually highly skilled and has a varied array of post moves he has shown), Hibbert, Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol, Andrea Bargnani, Lopez all have more offensive skill.

Howard is just incredibly strong and athletic and gets fouled alot so gets alot of freethrows. His footwork is still really bad, he travels alot (which goes uncalled) and their was one season where for the first 20 games he actually showed some varied post moves before just going right back into his clanking running hook over and over again.
    All those guys have more low post moves I'll give you that, but none of them are better than him offensively. I think you're talking about the start 2010-2011 when he first worked out with Hakeem. Yeah buddy I was beyond hype. Hey don't hate on the running hook. It goes down pretty often. Depending on how hard they foul him.

and Nash is gonna teach him better handle, the 3p shot and how to make 90% of his fts

College superstar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBVHSZPa-3g

Hakeem already had a few sessions with Dwight. I doubt Kobe/Pau would be able to teach Dwight much more.

Kobe's moves need too much footwork, and Pau's moves are all finesse. If there's anyone that would be able to teach Dwight, it's Shaq and we all know that's not happening.

One thing I noticed from the video of Dwight and Hakeem is that Hakeem, even at an advanced age is so much more fluid than Dwight. Dwight kinda short arms his shots while Hakeem's follow through is silky smooth. Lastly, when Hakeem makes his move, he always takes long, solid strides. Dwight on the other hand takes much smaller strides and his base doesn't seem as strong as it could be.

I do think Dwight learned from Hakeem, but I think Dwight needs someone to teach him more about how to use his physicality to be more effective. Shaq would be a tremendous teacher, even if he only taught Dwight his drop step.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    I do think Dwight learned from Hakeem, but I think Dwight needs someone to teach him more about how to use his physicality to be more effective. Shaq would be a tremendous teacher, even if he only taught Dwight his drop step.
    I always thought maybe David Robinson since he and Dwight seem like they have similar builds.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBVHSZPa-3g

Hakeem already had a few sessions with Dwight. I doubt Kobe/Pau would be able to teach Dwight much more.

Kobe's moves need too much footwork, and Pau's moves are all finesse. If there's anyone that would be able to teach Dwight, it's Shaq and we all know that's not happening.

One thing I noticed from the video of Dwight and Hakeem is that Hakeem, even at an advanced age is so much more fluid than Dwight. Dwight kinda short arms his shots while Hakeem's follow through is silky smooth. Lastly, when Hakeem makes his move, he always takes long, solid strides. Dwight on the other hand takes much smaller strides and his base doesn't seem as strong as it could be.

Shaq had incredible footwork combined with an amazing soft touch. Shaq's combination of soft touch and destructive strength and power was never seen before. Dwight has a pretty big strength and athleticism advantage over his peers but his touch is heavy. Shaq wouldnt be a good teacher. I think Howard should just work on moving off the ball and rebounds and just accept the fact he will never be a legit #1 option on a title winning team. I think he kind of already has accepted this by going to the Lakers and wanting to be paired with an elite PG.

Dwight is the second best scoring center in the league IMO, behind Bynum. But that's only because most centers suck offensively these days. But I dont think Howard will ever be a guy like Duncan Shaq or Hakeem where you can just drop it down to them and expect 2 points.

College superstar

Shaq had incredible footwork combined with an amazing soft touch. Shaq's combination of soft touch and destructive strength and power was never seen before. Dwight has a pretty big strength and athleticism advantage over his peers but his touch is heavy. Shaq wouldnt be a good teacher. I think Howard should just work on moving off the ball and rebounds and just accept the fact he will never be a legit #1 option on a title winning team. I think he kind of already has accepted this by going to the Lakers and wanting to be paired with an elite PG.

Dwight is the second best scoring center in the league IMO, behind Bynum. But that's only because most centers suck offensively these days. But I dont think Howard will ever be a guy like Duncan Shaq or Hakeem where you can just drop it down to them and expect 2 points.
    True, but a lot of Shaq's moves resulted in great positioning for strong finishes which is what Dwight specializes in.

Either way, I think Dwight as is along with the Lakers current squad is enough to win us the title. I don't care if Dwight gets better or positions himself to be one of the better C's in the league. I don't think he holds or will hold any loyalty to the Lakers and I'm not going to show him any until he proves that. At least, on the message boards.

Damn you usuallly piss me off with most of your posts that I've come across, but I...I... agree with you.....on like 98% of this lol. Dwight unfortunately won't be the first option on the Lakers this season and probably next season, but after Kobe retires it's all Dwight. Just my hopes and dreams lol. Hey do you think it's safe to say that Dwight is the second best player in the NBA? Overall anyway. I feel he is and not because I'm a stan. I just really really think he is.

Local High School Star

Dwight learned from the best. There's no big man in NBA history with better footwork than Hakeem's. Kobe has nothing new to offer Dwight that he'd find useful.

Quote Originally Posted by greymatter
    Dwight learned from the best. There's no big man in NBA history with better footwork than Hakeem's. Kobe has nothing new to offer Dwight that he'd find useful.

please......the Kobe slighting on this board is silly....kids need to recognize game...

Kobe will show Dwight all the things a Big Man needs to know....Dwight will improve by leaps and bounds...Much LikeHow Kobe helped Shaq,Gasol Dominate like he never done before or since...he will help Dwight in the same way

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    please......the Kobe slighting on this board is silly....kids need to recognize game...

Kobe will show Dwight all the things a Big Man needs to know....Dwight will improve by leaps and bounds...Much LikeHow Kobe helped Shaq,Gasol Dominate like he never done before or since...he will help Dwight in the same way
    Not with post moves, but with positioning so Kobe can get him easier looks. Same with Nash.

Local High School Star

Actually Bynum would be his best teacher

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    It's not a slight. Kobe's post game doesn't compare to Hakeem's. Maybe that's why Kobe went to Hakeem to learn?

Kobe's not a big, so WTF does he know what a big man needs? He modeled his post game after Jordan's. D12 needs a post game modeled after an ATG center's. He doesn't have shooting touch, so Dream Shake fade-aways aren't on the menu.