Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: how good was Chris Mullin ?

at his best ('89) he was the third best small forward in the nba

I usually hit open layups jn2rons's Avatar

Your age should be displayed on threads like this. No one under 30 can legitimately answer this question, and retain any of their credibility.

I can remember him in College, when St. Johns was a perennial power in the Big East. Alchy or not, he was a 2-3 time All American in college.

Trying to think of who to compare him to.....
    Shorter Kevin Durant??
    Less Athletic Carmelo??
    Andre Miller with WAYY more range??

Can't really think of anyone

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

He's that dude in the park that kills EVERYBODY and nobody knows why.

He isn't fast (but quick enough)
    He can't jump (but has great timing)
    He isn't built (but is strong)
    He doesn't have a killer crossover (but is always beating you to the rim)
    He doesn't have hang time (yet can make some crazy layups)

And sure... his shot is 'wet' but there's many players with a great shot, he just happens to be very crafty and knows how to get it off in time, from anywhere on the court and from many positions.

People keep saying that he was a bad defender, but he wasn't.

He knew how to position himself, was tough, and had great timing. I hate to be the person to bring it up, but the rules back then allowed him to be an effective defender. Of course, today he'd be murdered in the perimeter, but back then he could be effective enough since he could be physical.

if he were to play today, he'd be an all star every year (not sure if the fans'll vote him to start tho).

A decent comparison today, would be a smarter, tougher, stronger Torkaglu with a better all around game and a better defensive game.

Imagine if Torkaglu didn't rely on the 3pt shot and instead was smarter at setting up his game, driving, posting up, hitting mid range runners, pull ups, fadeaways from anywhere on the court, spinning shots, etc.etc. he'd be killing and would be a perennial all star every year, not just a long distance threat.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

I always thought of him as a 6'5" version of Bird. He was a player not just a shooter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Mullin was an essential part of that team -- a pure zone-buster who would play off of all of the penetrators they had on that squad. Turns out that the team was so overwhelming that his skills weren't that much in demand, but he still had some good moments in the Gold Medal run.

Please don't put him and Laettner in the same sentence. Nothing in common, other than skin color. Mullin belonged on that team.
    So did Laettner. Dude was top 5 college players of all time. Whatever transpired in the NBA is not relevant to him being selected into the dream team. He deserved it way more than Shaq.

Good shooter, intelligent player... just not intelligent enough to stay away from alcohol. I Loved to watch him along with Hardaway and Marciulionis.

Quote Originally Posted by necya
    do you know him? do you know which days he was drunk? are you perfect?
    i prefer a guy with his own social issues than a kevin garnett who doesn't have more than 3 neurons in his fu**ing head but idolized by tons of morons. this world is unfair.

i only take care of players on the court. i couldn't judge the personal choices of someone i don't know.
    First you say you dont care about players off the court, then you say KG is a moron Garnett has very high BBIQ (same applies to another antics master Rodman), and if you dont realize it, what does it say about you?
    Last edited by Harison; 10-29-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_wise_one
    So did Laettner. Dude was top 5 college players of all time. Whatever transpired in the NBA is not relevant to him being selected into the dream team. He deserved it way more than Shaq.
    I disagree, and so did a lot of other people when Laettner was put on the Dream Team. Nothing personal, I just don't think that a "sympathy" position for one college player should have been part of the picture. When pros were allowed to compete in the '92 Olympics, and the idea was to send the "best of the best", the team should have been entirely composed of elite NBA ballers.

That's what I meant with the comparison to Mullin. Laettner was a pouty kid who hadn't had a chance to prove himself yet in the league. I wouldn't have sent Shaq either.