Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Cleveland Cavaliers Edition

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    From a pure talent standpoint, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league. I believe that.

Andrew Bynum has an argument as best center in the NBA when he's healthy. I think it was a strong argument in the last season he played (2011-12). Can he get back there? Only time will tell, but there's no question the talent/skill is there for him to be a dominant force offensively and a very good defensive big.

Anderson Varejao
    has been playing at an All-Star level the last two seasons prior to his injuries. Last year, the guy was averaging 14/14+ and seemed to be getting stronger just before he went down. He was averaging more offensive rebounds per game than anyone has in over 15 years. The last guy to average more was a prime Dennis Rodman.

How many teams have two potential All-Star centers on their roster? Injuries are a question for both, but assuming good health, this is the best 1-2 center punch in the league and the great thing is their skillsets should compliment each other quite well if/when Brown wants to pair them up on the floor.

Tristan Thompson was one of the most improved players in the league last year. He very quietly basically averaged a double-double and played in all 82 games. In the 50 games he played without Anderson Varejao (thus giving him more minutes/responsibility), his play improved dramatically. He averaged 13+/10 in those 50 games. Very young guys can go one of two ways when having more responsibility dumped on them... respond or shrink. Thompson's response is a great sign for the future of this franchise. And, he's still only 22. He can also play either PF or center.

Tyler Zeller had a rough rookie season, but it wasn't until Varejao went down that his weaknesses began to get really exposed. Prior to that, he had been a nice rotational big off of the bench. Like I said about Thompson, when a young player is given the opportunity for more minutes/responsibility, he can respond or shrink. Zeller shrank, but I'm cutting him a lot of slack. He was forced into a situation as a rookie where he was playing 30+ minutes a night and anyone could see he just wasn't ready for that. On the bright side, I thought he looked much improved during Summer League and the Blue/White Olympic scrimmage. I'm still confident he's going to be a good player in this league that will have a long career. Not an All-Star, but a solid big man ideally off the bench on a good team.

Anthony Bennett was as surprising a pick for me as it was for everyone else... maybe even moreso, because I watched Tristan Thompson grow into a potential rock solid option as the PF going forward last season. That's really the main reason I never considered Bennett, but it has become clear that the NBA is going away from conventional 1-5 spots and more toward complimentary skillsets regardless of size/position. In that respect, Bennett fits in quite well. He has a very nice perimeter game and was arguably the best pure scorer in the draft. The Cavs needed a scorer in the frontcourt who can stretch the floor and get out and run. We'll see how AB turns out, but the pick was a very interesting and intriguing one. Obviously, Chris Grant and Mike Brown believed he was the best player in the draft. That tells me really all I need to know. He also looks like another versatile player who can play either the 3 or the 4.

Earl Clark was maybe the lone bright spot in a dismal season for the Lakers last year. I don't expect him to be a star, but on this team with this kind of depth? Yeah, I think he can provide production at both the 3 and 4 spots. He seems like a very nice utility tool. His shooting has improved over his career, he's athletic around the basket and he defends/rebounds well.

I'm sorry, that's a damn nice frontcourt *if* healthy. Basically all of the Cavs' scoring production last season had to come from the backcourt with Kyrie/Dion. That is no longer the case and making Jarrett Jack arguably the best backup guard in the league? I'd say this has been a successful offseason and I think this is a playoff team regardless of Bynum's status. Even just Varejao/Thompson/Bennett/Zeller/Clark is a good frontcourt rotation. Bynum would make it the best rotation in the league.

Great post.

As the newest member of the Cavs bandwagon and a blatant Canada Basketball homer who is trading in my Steve Nash card for an Anthony Bennett card I couldn't agree more.

This kid is going to be good, he is talented, a natural leader and although people are concerned about his size (bit heavy, bit short) lets not forget he has dunk contest winnable hops (39" vert) and long arms (7'1" wingspan).

Also, he shoots the three well, handles the rock well, and has a knack for the game. He is a basketball player first and foremost, and I think that gets lost in the shuffle.

Another thing is he played the 2nd half of his college season hurt. He had a lot of games where he played sparingly. Had he chocked full minutes the whole season he'd have been nearing 20/10 territory.

And, rebounding (especially offensive) is a transferable NCAA to NBA stat and Bennett looks good here.

Most importantly though I think a lot of the talking heads let him slip a bit because he was hurt and not accessible. They need interviews and reports for content and when it is not there, they need to focus on what is. AB wasn't providing any content for the prognosticators up to draft day.

ROY in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    Great post.

As the newest member of the Cavs bandwagon and a blatant Canada Basketball homer who is trading in my Steve Nash card for an Anthony Bennett card I couldn't agree more.

This kid is going to be good, he is talented, a natural leader and although people are concerned about his size (bit heavy, bit short) lets not forget he has dunk contest winnable hops (39" vert) and long arms (7'1" wingspan).

Also, he shoots the three well, handles the rock well, and has a knack for the game. He is a basketball player first and foremost, and I think that gets lost in the shuffle.

Another thing is he played the 2nd half of his college season hurt. He had a lot of games where he played sparingly. Had he chocked full minutes the whole season he'd have been nearing 20/10 territory.

And, rebounding (especially offensive) is a transferable NCAA to NBA stat and Bennett looks good here.

Most importantly though I think a lot of the talking heads let him slip a bit because he was hurt and not accessible. They need interviews and reports for content and when it is not there, they need to focus on what is. AB wasn't providing any content for the prognosticators up to draft day.

ROY in my opinion.
    Very interesting, i dont doubt him.

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    Great post.

as a cavs fan i hope you're right about bennett, but let me play devils advocate for a second.

the average wingspan of a starting PF in the nba is just under 7'1'', so he doesnt really have any advantage there, in terms of length.

beasley was a beast on the glass at k-state, but hasnt come close to replicating that in the nba.

dion shut down all interviews and workouts just after the start of the combine, last year, and he still shot up draft boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavves
    Why did you even bother commenting on 5 threads of these questions? You didn't answer any of the questions and just laughed at all the teams. No need to be disrespectful dude, especially when your not going to put any logic behind it.
    I did answer tha questions man You acting all butthurt for no damn reason at all you act like tha damn cavs are your team

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
    I did answer tha questions man You acting all butthurt for no damn reason at all you act like tha damn cavs are your team
    This isn't an answer to a question

No the Cavs are not my team, neither are they yours, but you don't have to laugh at and abuse other teams for absolute no reason at all when all people are trying to do is create discussion. You did this for 5 other team question threads.
    Stop posting if your not going to join in discussion.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

1. TRUE or FALSE: With the young talent base already on the team, the Cavaliers have the nucleus of a future championship contender.
    TRUE. Talent base is there. Irving is a legit superstar. Waiters looks like he'll be a really solid player, same with Thompson. Anthony Bennett has talent and we all know about Bynum. No question they have the talent to potentially contend in the East, it'll be how they continue to develop/who stays/can everybody stay healthy.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Verajao for younger talents/draft picks.
    Depends on how they start the year. If it looks like the rebuild is coming to a close and they are fighting for playoff positioning than I would keep him. More important to start winning for Irving. Another lotto year, than yeah move him. I think for the right price you could move him either way.

I'll go with FALSE because I see them fighting for the playoffs

3. CONSPIRACY TRUE or FALSE: Mike Brown was predominantly rehired to help recruit Lebron James.
    No clue.

4. TRUE or FALSE: Picking Anthony Bennett first overall was a mistake.
    Last time I said Cleveland made a mistake at 1st overall, or rather called it a weak 1st overall selection Kryie made me eat my words hard. However I don't think he ends up the best player from the draft, think you'll be able to make a case somebody else could have been a better pick 3-4 years from now. AB was a pretty surprising pick to me. So TRUE, but not a major mistake.

TRUE or FALSE: The Cleveland Cavaliers will make the playoffs this season.
    TRUE. Wouldn't be surprised to see them finish 9th/10th tho. Think they'll finish 7th-10th.

[B]BONUS 1. TRUE or FALSE: Bynum, Verajao, Thompson, Bennett, Clark, Zeller: If healthy, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league.
    FALSE. Clark, Zeller, Bennett have to prove more. Thompson is great but not elite, Andy is great at what he does and Bynum when healthy is a monster. Potential to be, not yet.

BONUS 2. TRUE or FALSE: Dion Waiters will develop into a legit 2nd option.
    FALSE. Don't think he'll be a legit 2nd banana. Not an All-Star one, be a really solid player but I see it as more Irving + a potentially great surrounding cast. Bynum if healthy should be above Waiters and I think Thompson could state his case as a double double machine as well.
    Last edited by NuggetsFan; 08-23-2013 at 04:05 AM.

1. TRUE or FALSE: With the young talent base already on the team, the Cavaliers have the nucleus of a future championship contender.

True.. ish. If Bynum truly can be healthy 100% true.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Verajao for younger talents/draft picks.
    No, he is the hustle king. Dont turn down the semi complimentary twin towers

3. CONSPIRACY TRUE or FALSE: Mike Brown was predominantly rehired to help recruit Lebron James.

bridges burnt

False, i believe in this guy

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Cleveland Cavaliers will make the playoffs this season.

maybe. its between Wizards, Cavs, Detroit

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

False. Out of all the young players on the Cavs, the only one we know is a keeper at this point is Kyrie. Cleveland should know better than anyone that one guy isn't enough to get it done.

True. Verajao can't be apart of the long term future there, so they might as well get an asset for him while they can.

False. Not entirely sure getting Mike Brown back actually helps or hurts get LeBron back. In 2010 LeBron could've stuck by Mike Brown, but he was silent while the Cavs fired him. I think this was the case of the owner liking the guy and seeing that Cavs needed a better defensive direction more than anything to do with LeBron.

False. I can't say true without having seen Bennett play an NBA game. Although if this time next year we're all saying the Cavs should've taken Nerlens Noel or Victor Oladipo I won't be surprised.

True. I think they've got enough to be a 6-8 seed. They are motivated to do so in a year where not many teams are, so I think you have to go with true as long as Kyrie Irving is healthy.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

BONUS 1. TRUE or FALSE: Bynum, Verajao, Thompson, Bennett, Clark, Zeller: If healthy, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league.

True. Not the most talented, but that's six guys that are NBA players if healthy. Not sure any other team can say they've got that up front.

False. Dion Waiters' destiny is as a sixth man. More likely to have Jason Terry's career than Dwyane Wade's.

Made that high school varsity squad LA Lakers's Avatar

PG - Irving/Jack
    SG - Waiters/Miles/Karasev/Felix
    SF - Clark/Gee
    PF - Thompson/Bennett
    C - Bynum/Verajao/Zeller

Head Coach - Mike Brown
    General Manager - Chris Grant
    [/COLOR]

False. Not with Andrew Bynum as your center. Sorry. Simple truth. They need a prime multiple season stretch of dominance from Bynum all while hoping that Bynum stays healthy to really contend for a title in what looks to be a surprisingly competitive conference for the next decade. The major theme of this thread should be INJURIES INJURIES INJURIES!

Well, great question. If Varajao can stay healthy, hell no! Again, injuries!

False. Either Lebron stays in Miami or goes to New York or LA. I don't believe he'd take any other option at this point in his great career.

Neutral.

If they stay healthy, or the core rather stays healthy, yes. True.

[B]BONUS 1. TRUE or FALSE: Bynum, Verajao, Thompson, Bennett, Clark, Zeller: If healthy, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league.
    Neutral. Id have to think about it.

Semi-true. Speed and effort from this kid is what its all about. More calm less erratic play will sink in over time. Playing on a team alongside a player as skilled as Kyrie Irving and a hopefully healthy Andrew Bynum and you wont be anything more than a 2nd option.
    Last edited by LA Lakers; 08-29-2013 at 06:03 PM.