Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415 LastLast

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    I've watched both in college. RGIII was nowhere near as shifty as Johnny Manziel when it came to avoiding sacks.
    Manziel is barely 200 pounds. RG3s faster and 225

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    Manziel is barely 200 pounds. RG3s faster and 225
    Cool. Texas A&M defense dominated the **** out of RG3 at Baylor because they used Johnny Manziel as the scout QB in practice. They said RG3 was easier to get a hold of and had a much harder time in containing Johnny.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I think the problem and hurdle that many Europeans face is that they view American football through the lens of soccer (for the purposes of this discussion so we can distinguish), rugby and even Aussie football. The truth is, while those sports are all relatively similar in that there is non-stop action and no stops, American football is a completely, totally different game.

Every single person on an American football field is 100-percent specialized to play that exact position. They have probably been playing that very specific position their entire lives and wouldn't even know what to do if they were placed elsewhere. That is part of the brilliance of it, though.

I say this with no malice toward soccer (a game that I do appreciate), but it (soccer) is checkers compared to football's chess. On a chess board, you have certain pieces that can only move certain ways and do certain things.

Coaches have total control of what happens on a football field and, if they have one guy out of place or call a blitz at the wrong time, it can cost them the game.... Just like making one tiny mistake on the chess board can be the end.

I think you have to learn to look at American football with fresh eyes and don't compare to other sports, because it is totally unique. There may be significant time in between plays, but that is only because every play is of so much importance. It is incredibly tactical... Like war without the deaths.

Also, the time between the plays allows players to go 100% on every snap, as opposed to nonstop running, which will obviously wear on you in a different way. You are not going to be able to unleash the kind of incredible hit on someone after running for an hour nonstop the way you can with breaks after each play, nor can you run as fast, be as physical, etc.

Comparing rugby or futbol to American football is like comparing a marathon to a sprint.

That's my take.

Well said. I still thinks it's bs for a 60min game to take 5hours to play.

Cool. Texas A&M defense dominated the **** out of RG3 at Baylor because they used Johnny Manziel as the scout QB in practice. They said RG3 was easier to get a hold of and had a much harder time in containing Johnny.
    college

RG3's game actually translates to the pros. Why? Cuz he's athletic

college

RG3's game actually translates to the pros. Why? Cuz he's athletic
    Yeah...you're an idiot if you don't think Johnny can play in the pros.

Yeah...you're an idiot if you don't think Johnny can play in the pros.
    im sure he can play but I doubt he can ball

dudes 6'1 200 pounds. needs to start bulking up

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    I like the tactics of football, I understand it because I'm American but compared to sports like basketball and soccer (THE ENGLISH INVENTED THAT WORD, GET OVER IT EUROSNOBS) it is too slow paced and dull. I like watching the playoffs and superbowl, that's it.
    Football is dull compared to soccer? That's the direct opposite of reality.

It's harder to get into a sport when you don't understand it, and there's a lot of shit you have to learn for football to really understand it. When your country doesn't really have anyone playing at a high level in that sport, then it makes it harder for you to cheer for it. And of course, the expenses of playing the sport. I don't really care if it's not hugely popular around the world. It's doing just fine here and that's what matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Never knew eugenics was still so in fashion these days.

American Football, a sport that is played in really only one country in the world (where it's just one of many popular sports), a sport that a handful people around the world practice professionally and sport that only about 5% of the world population is exposed to of course still has the absolute elite athletes in the world.

Because they're American, right? And the "American race" is inherently more athletic than the rest of the planet?

Please. That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard, you guys need a dose of reality.
    Remind me how well India does in the Olympics. Do you think all countries put as much money and training into their sports like the US? Not all countries are equal. Not all sports require the level of athleticism as others do. Your talent pool argument is flawed especially since it's the only argument you're even attempting.

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    This is why most people hate americans, you dont know shit about what you are talking and act as if you know it all because America cant possibly be anything other than the best (in this case worse since we are talking about slavery here).
    People hate Americans because of ignorant generalizations they make about them? That says a lot more about them than it does about Americans.

There simply isn't anyone in soccer with this combination of speed, agility, balance, power, jumping ability, and explosiveness, with that kind of size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3cs9fT_CnM

Or this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP0_mDhn2RA

Similary ancestry, if they aren't playing one, they're playing the other.
    Last edited by lefthook00; 04-21-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

Lol at the reactions in this thread. Americans just think their shit doesn't stink and have the best of everything. Definitely has nothing to do with the fact that athleticism is the top priority in the NFL. I wonder if any of these guys saying this have ever seen a combine?

I remember when I tried comparing real world statistics of NFL players to Rugby players, and found that I had to do a good amount of digging to find anything on top Rugby players other than size and weight. A lot of those guys don't even have any sort of official stats posted. That alone tells me that Rugby does not focus as much attention on athletic ability as the NFL. Do a search on even some of the most obscure names in pro football and you will easily find out their speed, strength and jumping height.

Rugby is more skill-oriented. You can't take a freak athlete and turn him into a great Rugby player like you could in the NFL.
    Last edited by PHX_Phan; 04-21-2013 at 02:35 AM.

You can't exactly take a freak athlete and turn him into a football player either. Brock Lesnar failed to make an NFL team and he even played football in high school.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
    Lol at the reactions in this thread. Americans just think their shit doesn't stink and have the best of everything. Definitely has nothing to do with the fact that athleticism is the top priority in the NFL. I wonder if any of these guys saying this have ever seen a combine?

I remember when I tried comparing real world statistics of NFL players to Rugby players, and found that I had to do a good amount of digging to find anything on top Rugby players other than size and weight. A lot of those guys don't even have any sort of official stats posted. That alone tells me that Rugby does not focus as much attention on athletic ability as the NFL. Do a search on even some of the most obscure names in pro football and you will easily find out their speed, strength and jumping height.

Rugby is more skill-oriented. You can't take a freak athlete and turn him into a great Rugby player like you could in the NFL.
    Good point. In the NFL your role is pretty much limited to one thing; Quarterback throws, WR runs/catches, punters punt, fg kickers kick fgs. So being effective in your area requires you to be bigger (linemen), faster (WR),better change of direction (running back) etc. Rugby and soccer are all round games that require you to be proficient in a large number of things, rather than being elite at one thing.
    Last edited by HarryCallahan; 04-21-2013 at 03:31 AM.

im sure he can play but I doubt he can ball

dudes 6'1 200 pounds. needs to start bulking up
    Russell Wilson says hi

Johnny Manziel is the ****ing man. 6' 1" 200 lbs. Sure he could gain a little weight if he needed to but his agility gives him the ability to make the plays that wins game. If he bulks up? Who knows.

Plus Manziel is only 20 and won the heisman was a redshirt freshman. He's got time brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by PHX_Phan

Carlin Isles says hi. He's been touted as the FASTEST rugby play OF ALL TIME. And guess what? He's american and black.

He played american football for awhile...and now plays Rugby sevens. He's without a doubt the fastest rugby player of all time. If you've ever seen him play, if he gets just a little bit of space. Forget about it. That's a try guaranteed. Of course only one of him being like that isn't enough to win the world championship against teams like SA, New Zealand and Australia but imagine seven of him playing in the rugby sevens. They'd wreck shop dude.

Last edited by Balla_Status; 04-21-2013 at 04:04 AM.