Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Default Re: Where do you rank KG?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSteve
    If we order the below quote by PER we have

Let's extend this analysis to each players best 12 years, ranked by PER. This gives us a ranking of primes

Barkley's best 12 year run (1986 - 1997):

23.9 PPG, 25.5 PER, .547%, 12.0 RPG, 4.2 APG, 1.7 SPG, 0.9 BPG

Malone's best 12 year run (1988 - 1999):

27.4 PPG, 25.4 PER, .529%, 10.8 RPG, 3.5 APG, 1.5 SPG, 0.8 BPG

Duncan's best 12 year run (1998 - 2009):

21.4 PPG, 25.0 PER, .507%, 11.7 RPG, 3.2 APG, 0.8 SPG, 2.4 BPG

KG's best 12 year run (1999 - 2010):

21.3 PPG, 24.8 PER, .496%, 11.8 RPG, 4.6 APG, 1.4 SPG, 1.6 BPG

Nowitzki's best 12 year run (2001 - 2012):

24.1 PPG, 24.5 PER, .478%, 8.7 RPG, 2.7 APG, 0.9 SPG, 1.0 BPG

Let's contract this analysis to each players best 5 years, ranked by PER. This gives a ranking of peaks

Barkley's best 5 year run (1987 - 1991):

26.0 PPG, 27.1 PER, .586%, 12.1 RPG, 4.0 APG, 1.6 SPG, 1.0 BPG

KG's best 5 year run (1999 - 2010):

22.7 PPG, 27.0 PER, .500%, 13.3 RPG, 5.0 APG, 1.4 SPG, 1.6 BPG

Duncan's best 5 year run (2001 - 2005):

22.8 PPG, 26.3 PER, .504%, 12.3 RPG, 3.3 APG, 0.8 SPG, 2.6 BPG

Nowitzki's best 5 year run (2003 - 2007):

24.8 PPG, 26.0 PER, .473%, 9.2 RPG, 3.0 APG, 1.0 SPG, 1.1 BPG

Malone's best 5 year run (1989 - 1993)**:

28.8 PPG, 25.6 PER, .537%, 11.2 RPG, 3.1 APG, 1.4 SPG, 0.8 BPG

**Malone's best 5 were tough, because his best scoring, rebounding and efficiency years were not the same as his best defensive and facilitating years. These top 5 are not his top 5 by PER, but his top 5 by scoring/rebounding/efficiency.

[COLOR="Red"]Anyway, stats give us

Prime: Barkley>Malone>Duncan>KG>Nowitzki

Peak: Barkley>KG>Duncan>Nowitzki>Malone or Barkley>KG>Malone>Duncan>Nowitzki (depending on where you want to put Malone's peak, and how you want to quantify 'peak')

And everything else gives us

Career: Duncan>Malone>Barkley>Nowitzki>KG[/COLOR]
    I don't see how can you come to such absolute conclusions from these stats as who you rank higher might come down to personal preference like what you want from your 4 when the stats are this close.

And saying a player's prime is 12 years is way too long. I would say it's closer to 7-8 while a peak is 3-5.

A HOFer

Top 25

Those wasted years in Minnesota will never be given back to him, smh

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Somewhere in the 14-19 range.

Anyone saying Dirk > Garnett doesn't deserve to post here, and should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Anyone saying Dirk > Garnett doesn't deserve to post here, and should be banned.
    I won't pretend I watched either of them nearly enough in their primes to make a judgement, but I'm pretty sure no one dared suggest Dirk was better until 2011. Revisionist history based off a ring he won mainly because LeBron turned into Evan Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I won't pretend I watched either of them nearly enough in their primes to make a judgement, but I'm pretty sure no one dared suggest Dirk was better until 2011. Revisionist history based off a ring he won mainly because LeBron turned into Evan Turner.

They certainly didn't. I remember how overrated Dirk instantly became here after that championship...it was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    They certainly didn't. I remember how overrated Dirk instantly became here after that championship...it was a joke.
    Seriously. Where Jason Terry arguably out performed him in the series.

I watched KG play for his entire career, and rank him in the 20 to 30 tier with Scottie Pippen, Rick Barry, John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    I watched KG play for his entire career, and rank him in the 20 to 30 tier with Scottie Pippen, Rick Barry, John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, etc.
    Well...good job on disrespecting him I guess. (and I say that when Scottie is my favorite player of all time) He's on a different tier above those guys.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH

KG = better player
    Dirk = greater career

IMO.

Mainly because, even though KG was clearly the better at his peak, Dirk has been great for much longer. Also Dirk's ring trumps KGs ring, based on who they played with and against in the finals.

It's similar to how I would say that Barkley was better than Malone, but would not argue against Malone being ranked higher than Barkley, because Malone's career output was vastly greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    At Garnett's peak he was 1 and 2 in the league with Duncan.

Everybody always talks about Duncan in 2003...KG NARROWLY lost MVP to him that year and then almost unanimously topped him the next year.

How could they be that far apart when they were that close in their primes and had similar longevity? Something doesn't add up.

Mid teens to late teens seems like the right place for him.
    How? His accomplishments don't come close to Duncan. Nor a lot of guys in that range.

He definitely isn't top 10, we can all agree on that. Then you have guys like Moses Malone, Oscar, Kobe, Hakeem, Karl Malone, David Robinson, Kevin Durant, Wade, Julius Erving, Baylor, etc.

That is another 10 guys who have all achieved more than him, or in the lone case of Durant, have had a better peak. So how is he in the teens?

Garnett is overrated like crazy. He is a 2nd option, and one of the best at that. He is the Scottie Pippen of PF's. They even have nearly the same amount of 1st All NBA appearances. Pippen has more rings, Garnett has an MVP over him.

Garnett is in the 30-40 range.

Dirk not getting his credit was due to him supposedly being a "softy" Euro. When that was far from the truth, but the narrative at the time fit.

Garnett performed worse in the playoffs than Dirk did, and he never got the same criticism.

Dirk took a worse team to the finals twice, and actually won once as the underdog, and as the top dog on the team. Dirk was just a far better offensive player, and it trumps what Garnett brings to the court.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    How? His accomplishments don't come close to Duncan. Nor a lot of guys in that range.

He definitely isn't top 10, we can all agree on that. Then you have guys like Moses Malone, Oscar, Kobe, Hakeem, Karl Malone, David Robinson, Kevin Durant, Wade, Julius Erving, Baylor, etc.

That is another 10 guys who have all achieved more than him, or in the lone case of Durant, have had a better peak. So how is he in the teens?

Garnett is overrated like crazy. He is a 2nd option, and one of the best at that. He is the Scottie Pippen of PF's. They even have nearly the same amount of 1st All NBA appearances. Pippen has more rings, Garnett has an MVP over him.

Garnett is in the 30-40 range.
    You are a ****ing retard.