Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617 LastLast

Default Re: PickUp Game: Larry Bird VS Scottie Pippen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObgS...e_gdata_player

Scottie Pippen

A Larry Lagend vs Scottie Pippen pick-up game would be dream for hoops fans...two totally different types of players going at it

Serously 97 bulls...just watch the video TheMan posted and then you tell me Reggie Miller and Larry Bird were similar offensively.

Also, I dare you to tell me again that he doesn't take people off the dribble. ALL HE DID was take people off the dribble or post them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeULq4vrToU

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeULq...e_gdata_player
    watch this video and tell me what part of Miller's you see in it, especially his passing.

Look, I'm a fellow Bulls fan, I have no beef with you but when you compare Miller to Bird, well, that's just nonsense.

Bird was much more than a 3pt shooter which was basically all Miller was, Bird could post up, make the right pass and even though he wasn't the fastest guy on the floor, ran a fast break really well.Bird>>>>Miller

The original idea of this thread was who would win between Pip and Bird in a 1v1, we all have different opinions on that, I happen to think Pip could win solely on the fact that Pip was an elite defender ad man defense wasn't Larry's greatest attribute, I could be wrong but we'll never know unless someonei nvents a time machine...one thing for sure, it would be fun to watch.
    I'm not talking about their offense as a whole. Just the way they score the ball. Which is why miller couldn't beat a young kobe bryant. He just doesn't have the iso skills pertinant to being a great 1 on 1 player. Bird is the same way. And neithers man defense is up to par.

But I'm not in any way shape or form implying that miller was a good as bird. Bird was the better passer, rebounder, had better intangibles. And his help defense was better than millers was. But the way they scored was very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Serously 97 bulls...just watch the video TheMan posted and then you tell me Reggie Miller and Larry Bird were similar offensively.

Also, I dare you to tell me again that he doesn't take people off the dribble. ALL HE DID was take people off the dribble or post them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeULq4vrToU
    You don't know what taking people off the dribble is bro.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Lol what am I denying? You posted the video. He did a great job comming off screens and curls. But not one shot was made by him breaking a man down in a 1 on 1 setting. Not one shot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_nfsq4pTpI

clips of Bird beating his man 1on1 (or even entire teams)

If Bird can fake an entire team, his fakes were pretty good

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfYnqiVK34

And funny enough that same fake worked hundreds of times, all over the court, even though everybody watched film of Bird by the hour. Must have been something hypnotic about it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MUjJABeyus

Beating his man from :50 & then 1:50 showing 1on1 in the open court smokage.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=II2MqmI4Wjw

It's a laugh that people still say Bird was unathletic, slow, can't jump and so forth. His first step beat everyone in the league for 10 years, just fact. he constantly outran the court for at least 8 years, just fact... he could throw down flashy dunks in early days but why? That don't count for more than a layup which is less tiring thus he was more effective at the end of the game.

He took advantage of that moron unathletic perception for an entire career.

Naturally people will say Bird scored off curls, single dribbles and so forth. But that doesn't show a player's limitations, that is the premier mark of outstanding team play... the perfect set, the perfect pass, the perfect curl, single dribble and swish. No 80s Celtic would dream of dribbling for 15 seconds at the top of the key while the rest of his team went and sat down, then driving that's just not how those teams played basketball. Anybody remember Sidney Wicks on the Celtics? LOLOL that kind of iso game just didn't fit in with the Celtics.........

Over the years there have been some players that simply had unstoppable offense - NOBODY could stop those guys. Chamberlain, Jerry West, Jabbar, Pistol, Jordan, Kobe, a few others.... Bird is in that category.

Pip on the other hand was stoppable by NBA level defenders. If you denied his drive, he was looking to pass. He was a great offensive force no question, could create on the fly, very inventive - but he could be stopped.

If you denied Bird's drive you were inevitably forced back into the paint - you had to either have outside help or just plain get lucky because that's when he flashed out to the three line 2 or 3 steps ahead of you and floated the money 3 pointer over your desperate out of position hand.

Naw man Pip couldn't keep from getting scorched by Bird in the games they did play.
    He'd have to wear flame retardant to try 1on1 against 1984 Bird

College star

dude, you're beyond hope if you really think that Bird did not have 1on1 skills. I'm quoting myself here:

Bird is the best offensive player of all time. He topped out at 30ppg playing team -oriented. He's one of the best post players of all time. He's arguably the best shooter ever. He never at any point in his career had a problem getting his shot off and is one of the best ever at shooting contested jumpers. He could score with either hand, making him one of the most unpredictable scorers ever too.
    On top of that he also has extremely great footwork. He wasn't fast, but always a very quick player, had great endurance, dexterity, body-control and hand-eye-coordination.

So yes, he could absolutely not score against Pippen consistently.

Pippen on the other hand, has the following offensive qualities that make him an extraordinary threat one-on-one:
    he's athletic and fast.

Decent college freshman

people actually thinking bird wins is just more proof of that this board is full of idiots who don't actually play basketball or know too much about it

Banned

Larry Bird

/thread

Great college starter

I'm not talking about their offense as a whole. Just the way they score the ball. Which is why miller couldn't beat a young kobe bryant. He just doesn't have the iso skills pertinant to being a great 1 on 1 player. Bird is the same way. And neithers man defense is up to par.

But I'm not in any way shape or form implying that miller was a good as bird. Bird was the better passer, rebounder, had better intangibles. And his help defense was better than millers was. But the way they scored was very similar.

.....who the hell you think your fooling here dude??

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    people actually thinking bird wins is just more proof of that this board is full of idiots who don't actually play basketball or know too much about it

You seriusly don't know jack about Larry Bird kid...

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    That doesn't even make sense. "Know too much about basketball?" What does that even mean?

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Larry Bird could take anyone off the dribble. Pippen would only score in some off the dribbles but his mid range shot is not as dangerous as Bird`s was. Bird would also shoot over Pippen and Post Him Up. Bird Posted Up PFs and with sucess because he had great leg strength.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_nfsq4pTpI

clips of Bird beating his man 1on1 (or even entire teams)

If Bird can fake an entire team, his fakes were pretty good

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfYnqiVK34

And funny enough that same fake worked hundreds of times, all over the court, even though everybody watched film of Bird by the hour. Must have been something hypnotic about it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MUjJABeyus

Beating his man from :50 & then 1:50 showing 1on1 in the open court smokage.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=II2MqmI4Wjw

It's a laugh that people still say Bird was unathletic, slow, can't jump and so forth. His first step beat everyone in the league for 10 years, just fact. he constantly outran the court for at least 8 years, just fact... he could throw down flashy dunks in early days but why? That don't count for more than a layup which is less tiring thus he was more effective at the end of the game.

He took advantage of that moron unathletic perception for an entire career.

Naturally people will say Bird scored off curls, single dribbles and so forth. But that doesn't show a player's limitations, that is the premier mark of outstanding team play... the perfect set, the perfect pass, the perfect curl, single dribble and swish. No 80s Celtic would dream of dribbling for 15 seconds at the top of the key while the rest of his team went and sat down, then driving that's just not how those teams played basketball. Anybody remember Sidney Wicks on the Celtics? LOLOL that kind of iso game just didn't fit in with the Celtics.........

Over the years there have been some players that simply had unstoppable offense - NOBODY could stop those guys. Chamberlain, Jerry West, Jabbar, Pistol, Jordan, Kobe, a few others.... Bird is in that category.

Pip on the other hand was stoppable by NBA level defenders. If you denied his drive, he was looking to pass. He was a great offensive force no question, could create on the fly, very inventive - but he could be stopped.

If you denied Bird's drive you were inevitably forced back into the paint - you had to either have outside help or just plain get lucky because that's when he flashed out to the three line 2 or 3 steps ahead of you and floated the money 3 pointer over your desperate out of position hand.

Naw man Pip couldn't keep from getting scorched by Bird in the games they did play.
    He'd have to wear flame retardant to try 1on1 against 1984 Bird
    I gotta hand it to you baldi. The third clip you posted at the :50 second mark does show bird face up and take his man off the dribble. But every other clip you've posted still holds true to how bird scored. Off picks, off screens, off curls, or in the post. Oh and off tranistion baskets. None that's gives the indication that he could score in isolation on a consistant enough basis to beat a defender the caliber of scottie pippen 1 on 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    Larry Bird could take anyone off the dribble. Pippen would only score in some off the dribbles but his mid range shot is not as dangerous as Bird`s was. Bird would also shoot over Pippen and Post Him Up. Bird Posted Up PFs and with sucess because he had great leg strength.
    Bird could not take "anyone" off the dribble. I posted this vid already, and I knew I wasn't gonna get a response cuz the truth hurts I guess. But here's a vid of pippen in the post defending, 6'10 260lbs chris webber, 7'0 260lb patrick ewing, juwan howard, charles barkley, larry johnson to name a few.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=N9vFHYVXtRk

And please understand, these are great post players. Not some nobody like lefresco baldi posted as a testament to birds ability to take his man off the dribble.

And what is "leg length"? If your trying to imply that pippen would have problems with bird in the post due to bird 1 inch heith advantage, come on. Bird couldn't jump over a loaf of bread, pippen was an amazing jumper. And was great blocking jump shots.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Bird could not take "anyone" off the dribble. I posted this vid already, and I knew I wasn't gonna get a response cuz the truth hurts I guess. But here's a vid of pippen in the post defending, 6'10 260lbs chris webber, 7'0 260lb patrick ewing, juwan howard, charles barkley, larry johnson to name a few.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=N9vFHYVXtRk

And please understand, these are great post players. Not some nobody like lefresco baldi posted as a testament to birds ability to take his man off the dribble.

And what is "leg length"? If your trying to imply that pippen would have problems with bird in the post due to bird 1 inch heith advantage, come on. Bird couldn't jump over a loaf of bread, pippen was an amazing jumper. And was great blocking jump shots.
    Bird could take a lot of ppl off the dribble. He's not Michael Jordan or LBJ good, but it's not like Bird was flawed in that area. He operated similar to Magic Johnson. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfLjD5ft6o4#t=01m24s

That was against Dominique Wilkins, who was more athletic and quicker than Bird. And look how he take the Pistons players off the dribble here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZQEkElyqAY

Larry Bird is a great one on one player. He also did similar things against Michael Cooper, who is one of the best perimeter defenders of all time. You shouldn't Bird looks fool you.

The question would be whatever if Bird could stay in front of Pippen? The answer would be yes and no. Bird did defend Wilkins, Worthy, and Dr. J in a few instances who are all better offensively and quicker than Pippen is. Bird never sucked at the defense, but he wasn't as good as Cooper or Pippen was. Bird was a good post defender tho. With that said, Pippen would blow by him a few times. Could Pippen stop Bird? Maybe contain like Cooper, but not stop him. And if Bird is shot is on, nothing Pippen could do about that since Bird is one of the best offensively.
    Last edited by Micku; 01-24-2012 at 08:40 PM.