Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    owwwww

Default Re: Remember when Phil and Jordan were down 2-3 in the Finals?

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Pippen was not an All Star until 1992. He wasn't a true all-star caliber player until 1991. He was good in 1990, but still got shook in pressure situations. This was the series where weak minded Scottie Pippen came down with the infamous "migraine" ... it took a few years before Jordan "manned up" Scottie Pippen. But he came around by 1991.
    Pippen was an all-star in '90 and was destroying teams in those playoffs. Opened up against Bucks with a great 17/10/13 triple double, then 32/7/8 and then 21/9/9 and then 20/11. Opened up Philly series with 18/12/8, and then had the death of his father, but came back from the funeral to close out the Sixers with a 29 pt game on 13/17 shooting. Against Pistons, in first two road games he averaged 17 ppg on 50% shooting, had 29/11/5 in game 3 to help MJ, didn't shoot much in game 4, played poorly in game 5, and played well in game 6. Game 7 as we know he had a migraine and blurred vision. You can call him mentally weak, but how are you supposed to shoot the ball in that condition physically? This is all while playing spectacular defense, so he seems to be a pretty awesome second option and definitely a deserving all-star.

In '91, he was incredible during the playoffs.

Remember when Jordan lost a series where the Bulls had home court? Write an essay about that Fatal.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Pippen was an all-star in '90 and was destroying teams in those playoffs. Opened up against Bucks with a great 17/10/13 triple double, then 32/7/8 and then 21/9/9 and then 20/11. Opened up Philly series with 18/12/8, and then had the death of his father, but came back from the funeral to close out the Sixers with a 29 pt game on 13/17 shooting. Against Pistons, in first two road games he averaged 17 ppg on 50% shooting, had 29/11/5 in game 3 to help MJ, didn't shoot much in game 4, played poorly in game 5, and played well in game 6. Game 7 as we know he had a migraine and blurred vision. You can call him mentally weak, but how are you supposed to shoot the ball in that condition physically? This is all while playing spectacular defense, so he seems to be a pretty awesome second option and definitely a deserving all-star.

In '91, he was incredible during the playoffs.
    Pippen's rise in 91' was one of the main reasons that Bulls finally ended the 0-3 loss to Pistons 3 years in a row even with Phil Jackson as head coach.

Besides that, the key reason was Pistons's self destruction progressively in that 3 years, they got weaker and weaker... If the 91' Bulls vs the 89' Pistons, I really doubt that Bulls can win...

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Bulls definitely could have wrapped that series up in 6 if Jordan showed up in the road games (12/27 in G1, 5/16 and got torched by Dumars in G2, 7/19 in G5). All were pretty close and IIRC his teammates played pretty well. Just got no support from the GOAT. Pippen had developed into one of the best second options in the league and was an all-star, Grant was 14/10 every night it seemed, nice surrounding shooters etc. Unfortunately Pippen had the migraine in game 7, and I wonder how much of everyone else playing poorly is because Pippen couldn't play like himself, or create anything (had blurred vision all game).
    Pippen was getting punked in that series. When a team makes up a whole defense that only concentrates on stopping you tend to have bad games. Got tourched by Dumars?? You have the highlights?? I seem to remember Mj guarding isiah and holdinfg him to like 38% or something like that?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by alexandreben
    Pippen's rise in 91' was one of the main reasons that Bulls finally ended the 0-3 loss to Pistons 3 years in a row even with Phil Jackson as head coach.

Besides that, the key reason was Pistons's self destruction progressively in that 3 years, they got weaker and weaker... If the 91' Bulls vs the 89' Pistons, I really doubt that Bulls can win...
    The bulls were getting stronger through. They just lost a game 7 the previous year. Pippen and Grant improved too. The 91 vs 89 would be a good matchup.

i love how all these laker/kobe haters are gonna act like their team just won a championship if the lakers lose this series.

NBA rookie of the year ashbelly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
    i love how all these laker/kobe haters are gonna act like their team just won a championship if the lakers lose this series.

He never did in the NBA Finals.

He was down 0 - 1 to the Lakers in 1991 ... then they swept Showtime and sent them packing.

That was the only time he was down a game in the NBA Finals.
    Showtime? I must have missed this series, when a Kareem-Magic-Riley team got beaten by the Bulls in a series.

BTW, like it's already mentioned, it will be nice to see the Lakers turn the 2-3 score to 4-3, which the Bulls managed a grant total of 0 times throughout their whole history.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Showtime? I must have missed this series, when a Kareem-Magic-Riley team got beaten by the Bulls in a series.

BTW, like it's already mentioned, it will be nice to see the Lakers turn the 2-3 score to 4-3, which the Bulls managed a grant total of 0 times throughout their whole history.

Decent college freshman gotbacon23's Avatar

He never did in the NBA Finals.

He was down 0 - 1 to the Lakers in 1991 ... then they swept Showtime and sent them packing.

That was the only time he was down a game in the NBA Finals.
    not true. bulls lost game 1 in 1998 versus the jazz as well.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...806030UTA.html

Ouch. That hurts.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by gotbacon23
    not true. bulls lost game 1 in 1998 versus the jazz as well.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...806030UTA.html
    The Jazz were close to making it 2-0, but, if memory serves, they let Steve Kerr of all people get a key loose ball with about a minute left in the game, and the Bulls were able to go on to win. If Utah wins that game, I don't think that Chicago wins that series.

i do
    backfired (as everrything you do or say) pb
    5 stars

dam lakeshow

Decent playground baller srekaL's Avatar

Wow I kind of feel bad for these posters. I think they were never happier when the Lakers were down 2-3. They must be permanently scarred from the Lakers pulling out the championship.

pleasebelieve fails? i never imagined this would happen.