Default How does history change if the Sixers win in 77?

ShaqAttack's thread about the most talented rosters really gets you thinking...

This 76ers squad had a ton of ball-dominant offensive stars. If somehow they managed to beat the Blazers, do other teams look to copy the mold?

Default Re: How does history change if the Sixers win in 77?

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    ShaqAttack's thread about the most talented rosters really gets you thinking...

This 76ers squad had a ton of ball-dominant offensive stars. If somehow they managed to beat the Blazers, do other teams look to copy the mold?

I don't think it does change much as I still believe that team would have eventually imploded on itself. Too much me to ever maintain as a we.

Before and since teams have tried to cheat the rules and win by just amassing talent, however usually that does not work right away and almost as often the players or management don't have the patience to see it through.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    I don't think it does change much as I still believe that team would have eventually imploded on itself. Too much me to ever maintain as a we.

Before and since teams have tried to cheat the rules and win by just amassing talent, however usually that does not work right away and almost as often the players or management don't have the patience to see it through.
    Do you think Philly holds on to McGinnis for longer if they pull it off?

Do you think Philly holds on to McGinnis for longer if they pull it off?
    Hard to say, not if he still plays like that in the playoffs and again in '78. Seemed like the signs he was done were pretty plain (just not to Denver I guess) In two combined playoff runs over 30 games he shot sub 40% and averaged more turnovers than assists. His scoring and rebounding dropped off significantly and yet he's still the guy taking significant shots, he just didn't get it.

Denver did squeeze one productive meaningless season out of him, but that was it and he never played a significant playoff minute again.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Hard to say, not if he still plays like that in the playoffs and again in '78. Seemed like the signs he was done were pretty plain (just not to Denver I guess) In two combined playoff runs over 30 games he shot sub 40% and averaged more turnovers than assists. His scoring and rebounding dropped off significantly and yet he's still the guy taking significant shots, he just didn't get it.

Denver did squeeze one productive meaningless season out of him, but that was it and he never played a significant playoff minute again.
    Great stuff, thanks for the response.

One last question: Let's say he's traded for Bobby Jones two years earlier. How do the Sixers fare in 77 and 78?

Had Walton remained healthy, the Blazers probably would have won titles in '78 and '79. After that, Magic and Bird joined stacked rosters, and the rest is history.

IMHO, the biggest "what-if" would have been had Philly somehow acquired Moses earlier, say '79. They likely would have steam-rolled the league in the first half of the decade of the 80's.

McGinnis is top 50 and a hall of famer.

Doc had 40 pts in in that final game 6 and averaged 30ppg for the series, and Coach Shue decides to let Mcginnis take the final shot. Unbelievable.

Doc was their best player, but the 76ers didn't play like it. This is another series that 76ers failed to win in this era. The other was the 1981 ECF vs. Boston when they had a 3-1 lead on Boston, and then blew it in game 7 by 1 point 90-91.

Only Malone's .500 Rocket team was waiting in the finals. That's 2 titles that Erving should have won.

Oh well

Great stuff, thanks for the response.

One last question: Let's say he's traded for Bobby Jones two years earlier. How do the Sixers fare in 77 and 78?
    Hard to tell. I mean I wasn't even watching basketball in 1977 even though I saw the whole 1977 Finals series on tape.

Knowing what I know about the Doc having watched almost every game of 1980s stint, I would surmise that Doc with Bobby Jones could have won them a title in 1977. As I said in an earlier post, Doc was dominant in the series, and with more chances could have outright won the 76ers the series, especially with a team first, defensive minded forward by his side like Bobby Jones.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

I don't think much would've changed. You had to have a dominant big/center to win in that era, looking back I don't think it's as big an upset that the Sixers failed to win a title as it seemed.

Quote Originally Posted by wally_world
    I don't think much would've changed. You had to have a dominant big/center to win in that era, looking back I don't think it's as big an upset that the Sixers failed to win a title as it seemed.
    75 Warriors and 79 Sonics. Unless you count Sikma as dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    75 Warriors and 79 Sonics. Unless you count Sikma as dominant.
    1975 was a pre-merger year. The NBA had not yet been reinforced by ABA talent. Sikma was a very good center in 1979 and provided the Sonics what you needed in that era: excellent big men.

Sixers might have won that series if Dr. J was being selfish as the rest of the team. Doubt it would change team building tho. Nobody is out there trying to model their team after the 2004 Pistons just because they won a title.