Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Luchini from the sky TheAnchorman's Avatar

Default Re: Top 3 Power Forwards of All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by MavsPoke
    No reason to rank KG that high unless you fall for him screaming at the camera in a Celtics uniform and thumping his chest. If you fell for that act then I just feel sorry for you.
    That's just an aside to someone who's been a premier 1st-team defender for this past entire decade as well as one of 4 players to win MVP AND DPOY (Jordan, Robinson and Hakeem being the others). The guy can def. be dirty and be a thug (one wonders how many illegal screens were set) but one can't deny his elite skill on both ends of the court during his prime.

Duncan
    Barkley
    Malone
    KG
    Dirk

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Duncan
    Barkley
    Malone
    KG
    Dirk
    Pettit....

There is Duncan as the clear cut best in my opinion.

Then you have the group of:

pettit
    kg
    malone
    barkley
    dirk

i don't really care how people rank those guys....although dirk should be towards the end and pettit should be towards the top

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Pettit....

There is Duncan as the clear cut best in my opinion.

Then you have the group of:

pettit
    kg
    malone
    barkley
    dirk

i don't really care how people rank those guys....although dirk should be towards the end and pettit should be towards the top
    Roughly where do you rank Malone now? I remember you had him above Kobe at like 13 or 12 a year ago.. but it seems you've caught onto the way everyone does their rankings here now.

Local High School Star

Barkley
    Malone
    KG
    Dirk
    Mchale? Pettit? Hayes?

Duncan isn't on this list because he's a Center.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Roughly where do you rank Malone now? I remember you had him above Kobe at like 13 or 12 a year ago.. but it seems you've caught onto the way everyone does their rankings here now.
    it depends on how we do the rankings.

if its a combination of everything......I rank Kobe at 10 and Malone around 15 or so.

If its solely who I think are the best players of all time. I rank Malone around 12 and Kobe around 13 to 15.

I'd have to think more about it though. But something like that.

Well as far as Dirk's legendary playoff run goes it's been amazing to see through the years and I'm glad to have witnessed it.

Ranking the PF position is very iffy since all players of recent greatness hit it at different strides, but that can be said about any position.

Clear cut would be

Duncan/Malone/Barkley/KG in any order and whatever your team needs the greatest winner of them is Duncan the most skill is probably KG or Barkley and the one that you know will suit up and give you points for sure is Malone.

Now just below not much or so is Dirk/Pettit/Mchale/Elvin Hayes

You can't go wrong with either of these guys and the funny thing between this tier is that most of these guys are actual winners. Pettits career basically was his prime but comp and era can hinder him but if on an even playing field hes in the first tier no doubt. Same with Dirk for playoff dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    it depends on how we do the rankings.

if its a combination of everything......I rank Kobe at 10 and Malone around 15 or so.

If its solely who I think are the best players of all time. I rank Malone around 12 and Kobe around 13 to 15.

I'd have to think more about it though. But something like that.
    I see.. but you think if Dirk plays great for a couple more years he'll surpass Malone?

I see.. but you think if Dirk plays great for a couple more years he'll surpass Malone?
    In which version?

Who I think the better player is? No, Dirk would have to play 4 or 5 more quality years for that to happen.

For the version that people use here that weighs heavily accolades and titles...etc.? It would take Dirk winning a title and finals MVP and playing 2 or 3 more elite years to surpass malone for me.

Not that many players separate these guys right now.

Dirk is right around the 25th best player of all time for me. Malone is right around the 15th best player of all time for me.

If Dirk adds a title and finals mvp.....he's going to move up in a big way.

I love Dirk about as much as anyone, but there's no way he's greater than Timmy, who was doing it on both sides of the floor and winning titles as well. I'd probably put him alongside Malone, who was a great scorer too but wasn't really known for his defensive efforts.

I know we are talking at power forwards, but really what does a guy like Dr. J have on Dirk as a player?

I watched all of Dr. J's NBA career and at no point while watching Dirk do I think Dr. J had a bigger impact on the game as a player. I personally think Dirk is a better player, but Dirk needs to add to his resume a little to reach the Dr. J level.

Dirk has as good or better numbers. The only thing Dirk is missing is a title and a few more years of longevity.

I think a lot of people get caught up in thinking some of the older players are untouchable.

Yeah, he could have a huge legacy boost if he continues to play like this and lead this particular team to a title. Not to jump the gun, but if they manage to win it all this year.. this team's window is slightly bigger than it appears as they'll get Butler and Roddy back. I don't see Dirk declining too much within the next two years either.

Yeah, he could have a huge legacy boost if he continues to play like this and lead this particular team to a title. Not to jump the gun, but if they manage to win it all this year.. this team's window is slightly bigger than it appears as they'll get Butler and Roddy back. I don't see Dirk declining too much within the next two years either.
    Butler is a question mark. We are obviously going to for sure sign Chandler. I'm not sure if we will be able to afford Butler. Which makes it even worse that we didn't trade him at the deadline.

Obviously I'm not complaining because we have had a great run, but we sure could use a little bit better option other than stevenson/peja. It certainly wouldn't have hurt.

And we have to sign Barea as well. Not sure we keep him. Which truthfully will be fine because there really isn't room for both roddy and barea. Roddy just has to prove he's worth it this summer or we need to trade him.

Our team could look a little different. Butler/Stevenson/Barea could all be gone depending on what happens. Chandler is a lock to be signed though. No way Cuban lets him go. People in Dallas love him and he's been everything we've asked for and more.

And I really wouldn't mind that. Brewer and Roddy have more talent than stevenson and barea....but part of me thinks Cuban won't let barea go.

LOL...now you've got me thinking. I'm not exactly sure what is going to happen.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-24-2011 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Duncan
    Barkley
    Malone
    KG
    Dirk
    i agree

If we do make the finals, it will boost dirk's legacy up a little. That alone is extremely impressive for Dirk and this team.

But its not just about one year. If Dirk wants to crack the top 15 he'll need to not only win a title and finals mvp at some point, but also play another 4 or 5 years at a high level.

That is some rare air in the top 15 tier all time. Dirk has a long way to go to get there.

I'm just glad he's finally getting credit as one of the best players ever. Thats more than enough for me.