Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Default Players' backgrounds: Rich VS Poor

You hear of kids in urban cities playing ball all day, dreaming of escaping the ghetto and becoming a basketball or football player one day etc...

Well if you look at the NBA... how many of those guys do you have? I'd guess that there are more people in the NBA from well-off families than from ghetto areas. I'd also argue that, the majority of all-stars currently are from well off families, or complete families with no huge problems of domestic violence drug abuse etc..

But you'd have to guess that there are more poor kids trying to play pro ball than rich kids nation wide? So what's going on? Too many kids lost in drugs and gang crimes?

Anyways, this is a brief list of players of two diff rosters based on childhood upbringing, most of it is off the top of my head with minimal research done. Feel free to expand if you know more.

Team Poor Background

PG: Baron Davis: Grew up with his grandmother as his guardian. Saw a clip of him somewhere before on ESPN describing the 'ghetto' he grew up in.

SG: Dwyane Wade: I'm not sure how rich Wade's family was but I do know that his parents were divorced and he cites his older sister as his primary caretaker for when he was a child. His mother also had alcohol abuse issues. Stephan Jackson

SF: Carmelo Anthony/Ron Artest: Carmelo's Dad died when Melo was 2 years old. His family moved to Baltimore where shootings and drug dealings were common within his neighborhood. Artest is just something I figure would be correct since he talked about that game where some guy got stabbed with the leg off a table or something.

PF: Josh Howard? had trouble in HS with drugs. Scored around the 500s in SATs out of 1400 when he needed a 950 to get into Wake Forest. Not sure about his family's income though.

C: ???

Players from Well-Off Families

PG: Chris Paul? He doesn't seem to have any family or financial problems as a child although his neighborhood could be questioned due to his grandfather being beaten to death in his own driveway, although I do not know if CP's grandfather lived near him.

SG: Kobe Bryant: Dad played in NBA as well. Kobe was definitely not poor growing up and had access to soccer as well as basketball training.

SF: ??? LeBron may fit the bill here after his becoming a stud athlete in HS etc... but his mother had him when he was 16 and his father left her. So let me know if there's a better fit.

PF: Tim Duncan. Grew up in middle class family in the US virgin islands. Wanted to be an Olympic Swimmer like his sister, but turned to basketball in the ninth grade. Turned into arguably the best PF to ever play.

C: Dwight Howard: Father was State Trooper in Georgia, and also was athletic director of southwest atlanta christian academy. Mother played some college ball as well.

Default Re: Players' backgrounds: Rich VS Poor

poor background should have lebron instead of howard. Lebron's mom like worked 3 jobs just to support him . he like lived in a single room apartment.

It matters, what do you consider poor?

grant hill would fit the bill better at sf. shane battier too he grew up in birmingham a wealthy suburb in MI.

High School Starter

I believe Vince Carter grew up pretty nicely too.

you can't judge players based on where or how they were raised.

i mean does this guy look like he was straight outta compton?

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

In the nba as a whole more players come from "middle class" families in urban areas than anyplace else.

Rich guys would have the advantage because they would never had to help out around the house and have access to courts / coaches. Poorer kids would have to help take care of siblings and sometimes even get a job.

Knicks 2010 Champs

From what we know, LeBron definitely grew up poor. But we don't know if he accepted kickbacks (what kid wouldn't?).

when you assume, you make an ass out of me and you.

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    Rich guys would have the advantage because they would never had to help out around the house and have access to courts / coaches. Poorer kids would have to help take care of siblings and sometimes even get a job.
    Jason Terry for example.

Is this strictly american players? Because I'm sure Dirk grew up relatively wealthy, and Pau was in medical school before coming to the NBA...

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purple32gold
    when you assume, you make an ass out of me and you.
    What is this, 5th grade? You can't get through life without assumptions.

I assume you're a *********.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

A LOT of dudes exaggerate the extent to which they grew up poor, in the ghetto, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    What is this, 5th grade? You can't get through life without assumptions.

I assume you're a *********.
    no need to get upset man. some of you are just wound way too tight. i don't know what you called me cause all i can see are ****'s, but right back at ya i guess?