Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is it just me or are NBA players committing more traveling violations than ever?

And some of these violations are cringe worthy and you wouldn't even get away with them at your local park in a million years. This tells me the fundamentals (footwork) aren't being stressed enough.

Some of it probably has to do with the game going away from the post game where footwork is crucial and stressing the 3. This not a knock on today's game or old school vs new school debate. Just an objective observation.

Default Re: Is it just me or are NBA players committing more traveling violations than ever?

Ironically they are frequently calling the jab-step and drive or up-fake and drive as travels from the triple-threat position even when the player clearly dribbled before lifting their pivot foot.

It's annoying. Someone should make a montage of the six times it's happened to Kelly Olynyk. Poor dude gets shit on by referees on that move.

Default Re: Is it just me or are NBA players committing more traveling violations than ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Ironically they are frequently calling the jab-step and drive or up-fake and drive as travels from the triple-threat position even when the player clearly dribbled before lifting their pivot foot.

It's annoying. Someone should make a montage of the six times it's happened to Kelly Olynyk. Poor dude gets shit on by referees on that move.
    I think the issue is you need to put the ball on the floor before taking that step and not about lifting your pivot foot first. I used to actually do this for years as a youngster until someone told me that it was traveling. Take my step before putting the ball on the floor. That's traveling.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    I think the issue is you need to put the ball on the floor before taking that step and not about lifting your pivot foot first. I used to actually do this for years as a youngster until someone told me that it was traveling. Take my step before putting the ball on the floor. That's traveling.
    I think the situation you're referring to is when a player starts to dribble in the direction of his non-pivot foot and Pushxx was probably referring to the situation, when the player goes in the direction of his pivot foot. These two are not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by iznogood
    I think the situation you're referring to is when a player starts to dribble in the direction of his non-pivot foot and Pushxx was probably referring to the situation, when the player goes in the direction of his pivot foot. These two are not the same.
    Even then, once the ball hits the floor, it's a live dribble so it doesn't matter when you pick up your pivot foot once the ball hits the floor so I'm not sure I understand what you guys are saying. Or am I missing something? The issue in the triple threat position is almost always about planting the non-pivot foot BEFORE the ball hits the floor. That's a travel.

Agreed and the 3-4 step thing has gotten ridiculous, players not nervous to do it now that it has almost never been called for 2+ years now

Or if you guys are simply saying that a guy moves his pivot foot before the non-pivot foot hitting the floor, then obviously, that's a travel. You would have to be very bad fundamentally to do that. LOL.

It`s not just you. Combined with the soft calls it can make games unwatchable. And then there are the commercials...(but that`s OT).

Players will do what they can get away with..rules need to be enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Dawn
    Agreed and the 3-4 step thing has gotten ridiculous, players not nervous to do it now that it has almost never been called for 2+ years now
    Even funnier are some of the travels that don't get called. But I think the refs are so pre-occupied with keeping the game soft and trying to watch out for any "hard" fouls that they sometimes miss the most basic calls. I blame that on the league enforcing the rules, not the refs. The refs just enforce what they are told to enforce. The league has gotten way too soft. You have to let these guys play a little. I just don't get it. Probably due to the Artest/Pistons ordeal but there has to be a happy-medium.

Very good NBA starter

Fouls slow the game down and the goal of the NBA is to attract fans that wouldn't normally watch basketball.

I agree with you guys but if they called games like a college game, there would be continuous fouls and calls. Players would adjust but it would probably take a good 20 games for them to adjust.

I also believe with players like Westbrook, lebron, and Paul george that have long strides to the basket, it's hard to call them in real time consistently.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Even then, once the ball hits the floor, it's a live dribble so it doesn't matter when you pick up your pivot foot once the ball hits the floor so I'm not sure I understand what you guys are saying. Or am I missing something? The issue in the triple threat position is almost always about planting the non-pivot foot BEFORE the ball hits the floor. That's a travel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUanVq08lF4
    I think this is the move Pushxx is referring to. This move is very basic and professional players don't travel on this play (unless they shuffle their pivot foot), because a cross step is the easiest and the most natural maneuver out of the tripple thread. Yet this move often gets called often even if a player executes it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_RpDPdeR6Y#t=2m3s
    The move Lebron uses at 2:03 is the move I thought you were referring to. NBA players usually lift their pivot foot off the floor before they let the ball out of their hands, which is technically a travel, but for some reason this move is never called in the NBA.

Not airballing my layups anymore rustycage's Avatar

Same thing happens to Bobo

Banned

it's really odd. some players get called and others don't. I remember a game where hezonja got called a couple of times for a travel on the catch when it's the same move everyone in the game was doing. it's like other things in the game where they go by reputation instead of what actually happened. that annoys me more because it shows zero consistency. it's like how a guy who's known as a shot blocker gets away with fouls when a guy who isn't gets called.

it does seem travels are increasing too, players travel on the gather all the time, players move pivot foot all the time, players slide and shuffle around all the time, players take extra steps on lay ups. it's getting silly.

I misunderstood you initially. I know exactly what you're saying. Don't know if they call it that much though but I get what you're saying now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUanVq08lF4
    I think this is the move Pushxx is referring to. This move is very basic and professional players don't travel on this play (unless they shuffle their pivot foot), because a cross step is the easiest and the most natural maneuver out of the tripple thread. Yet this move often gets called often even if a player executes it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_RpDPdeR6Y#t=2m3s
    The move Lebron uses at 2:03 is the move I thought you were referring to. NBA players usually lift their pivot foot off the floor before they let the ball out of their hands, which is technically a travel, but for some reason this move is never called in the NBA.
    I get what you're saying. I initially misunderstood Pushxx and therefore, your points too. But I get it now. Thanks.