Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Good college starter

Default Re: Memo: NBA proposing $45M hard cap

If this happens than all the superstars would be playing in Europe.

No way would a 45 million hard cap work

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    My idea:

Hard cap at 55 Million effective in three years.
    Each team gets one amnesty clause that allows them to cut a player scott free off the books.
    Give each team a $5 million dollars MLE that allows half of that contract to be paid by the league (unless team would be able to sign contract completely under cap). -If this isn't in use by a team it may be used as $2.5 million dollars in a trade.
    Max contract at $11 million.
    Max contract goes up to $13 million if player has been with team for 4+ years and the team offers it to them.
    9 millions-11 million max contracts? that will never work
    (all estimations)
    at least 1 million goes to agents
    then state taxes take out another million
    income tax takes another million
    insurance,
    medical treatments
    other bullshits

i dont know what the real figures are, but my point being, half of the salary never goes to the player
    and the team cashes in on the rest of the money that used to go to players.
    Last edited by bluechox2; 06-15-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
    Yeah well you can't sell tickets when there aren't games being played. And NBA isn't making $2 billion a year from merchandise. Also, are you telling me the PA doesn't get a cut of the merchandising revenue? I don't know where you are getting your information, but remind me never to go to that source.

Also, NBA and MLB had to work their way out of negative publicity from the lockouts. Are NBA owners such pigheaded idiots that they will shoot themselves in the foot?
    Talk about a post going over your head. I have no idea what you are talking about

All i was addressing is the players will be in financial problems before the owners will in the case of a lockout

And yes the players do get a cut of all money made by the NBA 57% of the BRI goes to players costs as per the current agreement which only goes to back up my point that if the players are getting 57%, their loss in a lockout is greater than the owners because the owners somewhat offset the lost income by not having to pay the players, no money in but hey no money out either. Where the players offset their lost income with?

Dunking on everybody in the park bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    And if the car dealer asked me to pay $100,000 for a Honda Accord, I'd laugh in his face and walk off the lot.
    Yeah but your Honda Accord has not increased in price by 64% in 10 years and 460% since 1990. Annual inflation between 2000 and 2010 was 2.67%

Quote Originally Posted by BonyFaceNDong
    Not really. There isn't a big Hocky market around the world. After 24% pay cut, NHL players still makes more than other places outside US.

Basketball is different. Players can make way more from other countries if the hard cap is applied. Why should they play in NBA any longer?

I doubt there would be a ton of 5 yr $12,000,000/yr deals around the world. Plus in some of those Russian Superleagues, they were offering very lucrative contracts to intice players "back home".

Taking a 20% reduction in order to get a deal done is still 80% more than what a player would be getting in a lockout. What other skills does 97.5% of the players have outside of basketball? and if they have skills it will not be paying in the 7 figures.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    are you people taking the 45 mil thing seriously? obviously they aren't going to lead with the maximum they are willing to take. one side says 45, the other side says 80, they meet at 65 and call it a day. bargaining 101.

you are a genious. Valedictorian of your class?

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    (all estimations)
    insurance,
    medical treatments
    other bullshits

i dont know what the real figures are, but my point being, half of the salary never goes to the player

Outside of the agent portion, don't you have all those expenses too? are you not getting by with less than $5,500,000 (1/2 the 11 million contracts). How come an $11,000,000 max worked in 2000? that was not too long ago dude.

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    Someone made a thread earlier this week about how far off the final CBA was last time it expired. Stern and the owners wanted similar crazy things, but settled on what we have now.
    That was me. Here's the thread >>>>> Major misconceptions regarding the labor dispute between Owners and NBA's Players.

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    (all estimations)
    insurance,
    medical treatments
    other bullshits

How much do you guys think agents make? They only get a max of 4.5% of a player's basketball income, and then about 10-20% of any income earned through endorsement deals. If a player is being paid $11 mil a year by his team, the agent is only owed a little less than $500k.

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    My idea:

Hard cap at 55 Million effective in three years.
    Each team gets one amnesty clause that allows them to cut a player scott free off the books.
    Give each team a $5 million dollars MLE that allows half of that contract to be paid by the league (unless team would be able to sign contract completely under cap). -If this isn't in use by a team it may be used as $2.5 million dollars in a trade.
    Max contract at $11 million.
    Max contract goes up to $13 million if player has been with team for 4+ years and the team offers it to them
    Damn, if anything close to this goes through, Shaq will probably be sitting back laughing, realizing he made away with highway robbery by comparison. Sucks for the new age all-stars/superstars that they won't be able to take the NBA to the bank like dudes like Marbury and Steve Francis.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Just checked, Kings and TWolves are under 45 for next season... Until they sign some more players. Bobcats are at like 49.
    Indy's at 35.5.

Anyway, people need to stop acting like this'd happen next season. It'd be a multi-year process with current deals grandfathered in.

Decent playground baller sodapop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog13
    The new hard cap can be acheived immediately, be it at $45MM or $52MM or whatever. Remember, every contract in the NHL was cut by 24% when the new CBA was signed in order to get under the cap. It was collectively bargained. Yes $3MM average salary is a large reduction but most will either make $9MM or $1MM.
    Next year the salary cap will be $zero so even $45Million would be better than that.

I am looking forward to a hardcap in order to balance out the playing field.
    I agree, I'm hoping for a hard cap also. I think it will improve the NBA and make it more interesting. The last lockout, I supported the players. This time around, I highly support the league and the franchise owners. It doesn't make any sense if a team continue to pay a star level player max while the stadium is half packed. Plus, the owners have other employees on the payroll - the janitor staff, the concession stand workers, V.I.P. staff, security, ticket marketers and so on and so on... Honestly, I think the NBA are too soft on the players. If it was up to me (my opinion), I would make up a ring rule: If you win a championship with a franchise, you will receive a pay raise. Just like any job, you earn the pay. Back to the subject, I wouldn't mind a $45 million hard cap. However, I don't think the players under $9 million should receive a pay cut.

Well it was a great sport while it lasted.

I'm sure one day I'll sit back and vaguely remember the adventures of Michael Gordan and Scottie Pinpin. The rivalry between Magical Johnson and Lenny Bird.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

Time to screw the cap and go free market. Land of the free.

Remove the cap and lower luxury tax threshold to 50 million. This way the Lakers will be paying 50 million to the league giving every other team money. So you wanna stack your team and win championships every year? You'll paying me to to win your championship as well.