Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Hubie Brown: Why Michael Jordan Would Dominate Today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JttE4UT74k

To me what was interesting was his personality. So different.

And let me just say Oscar and Michael played in two totally different eras. And he's not being bias, because he kind of talks somewhat negatives to big men in the 50s and 60s, no nostalgia. The Jordan era wasn't even his era. So this is a man who's being honest.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: Hubie Brown: Why Michael Jordan Would Dominate Today

Hey Hey, COME ARNNNNN COMEEE ARNNNNNNNNNNNN

NBA Superstar

The 80s and 90s had some amazing basketball no doubt. Far better than todays collusion era league.

-can't use your hands or forearms on the offensive player
    -without handchecking, players today have a green light to score/get off shots
    -oscar and jordan would dominate today
    -league banned handchecking so that perimeter and half-court scoring would increase

3:00, tho, is where Hubie really hits the nail on the head. Pampered babies of today..whining about defenses being physical is dumbfounding.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    -can't use your hands or forearms on the offensive player
    -without handchecking, players today have a green light to score/get off shots
    -oscar and jordan would dominate today
    -league banned handchecking so that perimeter and half-court scoring would increase

3:00, tho, is where Hubie really hits the nail on the head. Pampered babies of today..whining about defenses being physical is dumbfounding.
    Word.

It's a joke how soft players are these days.

Jordan would average 40 in today's league.

I was playing bball this weekend and some cats younger than us were calling touch bullshit.

Like going to the hole and just trying to get a foul. Crazy Smh.

We almost got into it.

"Fucc that nigha we playin 90's era rules. "

To me it's not that today's players are worse, it's just the rules. I think that if you take a version of today's players who in an alternate universe played with 90s rules and pit them against their current version, the ones from the alternate universe would be better, even if their stats were slightly lower.

I normally play against this guy who hand checks the hell out of me, and it's the defense that I'm used to. This guy is old, but that hand checking makes it tough. But when I play against a young person, it doesn't matter how aggressive they're playing, I just blow right by them. (I copied Jordan's game pretty heavily when I was a teen. No And1 stuff, I get the ball and have a lay up in under 3 seconds).

And because of the hand checking I've been forced to develop this outside game, the footwork from outside that would just not be there without playing against the guy who hand checks the hell out of me.

Why is it then that most perimeter players are shooting a lower percentage than ever?

A guy like Kiki Vandeweghe was putting up 30ppg on 56%. Guys like English are putting up 30ppg on 50+%.

Then you have guys like Durant, credited as one of the best offensive talents ever in terms of scoring, put up 30+ppg on 50+% for the first time this year. Interesting how one of the best scorers ever only does it for the first time now, while you have players like Kiki and English who never get talked about by modern fans today doing it back in the 80's, and not nearly as highly regarded.

Let me guess, Kiki and English would be the best players today? They'd be scoring 40ppg too since it was better defense back then?

But when I play against a young person, it doesn't matter how aggressive they're playing, I just blow right by them. (I copied Jordan's game pretty heavily when I was a teen. No And1 stuff, I get the ball and have a lay up in under 3 seconds).
    Robertson and Jordan both had excellent first steps off the dribble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Gbb9_XAtU&t=17m27s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjUpA3UVlA&t=8m44s

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Why is it then that most perimeter players are shooting a lower percentage than ever?

A guy like Kiki Vandeweghe was putting up 30ppg on 56%. Guys like English are putting up 30ppg on 50+%.

Then you have guys like Durant, credited as one of the best offensive talents ever in terms of scoring, put up 30+ppg on 50+% for the first time this year. Interesting how one of the best scorers ever only does it for the first time now, while you have players like Kiki and English who never get talked about by modern fans today doing it back in the 80's, and not nearly as highly regarded.

Let me guess, Kiki and English would be the best players today? They'd be scoring 40ppg too since it was better defense back then?
    3 point shooting. Look at what Wade on one leg shot this season taking 0.6 3s per game. Same with Parker the last few seasons.

No coincidence they're shooting high percentages routinely (50%+) even though they're small guards, Wade being an undersized SG.

Then realize both guys are playing in their 5th championship series, each has 3 rings, each has 1 finals MVP. Again, no coincidence.

Basketball IQ aside, there's no question perimeter scoring exploded once the league went all out in eliminating contact by defenders. None whatsoever.

Another example is Hal Greer as seen in video below. Very comparable to someone like Iverson in speed and quickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Np29MW_XN8&t=4m4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Np29MW_XN8&t=16m33s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bzGDqtDHqg&t=14m21s
    Last edited by PHILA; 06-11-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Because today many, many players take more 3 point shots per season than entire teams in the 80s.

Perimeter players of this era shoot a lot more 3s, so you'd have to compare the TS% to really get a true picture. Perimeter players - particularly stars - also seem to shoot a bit more FTA per FGA than they did in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
    I was playing bball this weekend and some cats younger than us were calling touch bullshit.

We almost got into it.

Holy crap this. Kids these days flop as well. I was posting someone up and the guy falls backwards to almost no contact and calls a charging.

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    Another example is Hal Greer as seen in video below. Very comparable to someone like Iverson in speed and quickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Np29MW_XN8&t=4m4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Np29MW_XN8&t=16m33s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bzGDqtDHqg&t=14m21s
    I wish I had more time to watch these videos.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
    Word.

It's a joke how soft players are these days.

Jordan would average 40 in today's league.

We almost got into it.

Same here.

Only way I can keep up with young players is by being physical and hand checking the f*ck outta them.

And I've literally said "i'm playing you old school" I completely throw them off their game.

Young dudes don't know...

They don't know....