Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Who is held to the third highest standard behind Durant and LeBron?

Quote Originally Posted by Duggrr
    CP3 and Melo because of the markets they play in.

yup indeed

Kobe still

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    The Rockets, Clippers, Warriors, and Blazers all have objectively more talented rosters. It's not even debatable...
    Key Dallas players might be past their primes, and might not be contenders for that reason only, but talent wise, they are top 5 team...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kkb_12
    Key Dallas players might be past their primes, and might not be contenders for that reason only, but talent wise, they are top 5 team...
    Just no...

What are you talking about? Spurs, Clippers, Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, Blazers, and Heat absolutely have more talented rosters.

That is 7 for sure.

I'd also say the Grizzlies have a more talented roster as well. Could definitely argue that the Timberwolves and Wizards have as much or more.

****ing top 5 roster in the league...my ass. The Mavs over-achieved this year in the regular season and playoffs...they are not a top 5 roster.

But this does make my point that Dirk/Kobe still have extremely high expectations despite their age.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-04-2014 at 02:14 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Just no...

What are you talking about? Spurs, Clippers, Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, Blazers, and Heat absolutely have more talented rosters.

That is 7 for sure.

I'd also say the Grizzlies have a more talented roster as well. Could definitely argue that the Timberwolves and Wizards have as much or more.

****ing top 5 roster in the league...my ass. The Mavs over-achieved this year in the regular season and playoffs...they are not a top 5 roster.
    Dirks averaging 20/9 in the playoffs and his team is taking the 1 seed to a game 7... Duncan's been just as impactful as Dirk thus far yet the score is tied. That wouldnt be possible if mavs supporting cast was playing that much worse.

This is another issue of help playing above expectations.. on paper the mavs aint shit but with carlisle at the helm, monta balling out, blair coming to life down low, and everything running smoothly passing and ball movement wise, the mavs are a great overall team and are giving dirk just as much help as anybody.. it probably wont last though but who knows

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

cp3

I usually hit open layups

Just no...

That is 7 for sure.

As I said - talent wise they are top 5, but overall roster is around 10th place in the league due to the fact that they cannot keep up with younger teams.... It is roster with 3 hall of famers: Nowitzki, Carter and Calderon as international player.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Dirks averaging 20/9 in the playoffs and his team is taking the 1 seed to a game 7... Duncan's been just as impactful as Dirk thus far yet the score is tied. That wouldnt be possible if mavs supporting cast was playing that much worse.

This is another issue of help playing above expectations.. on paper the mavs aint shit but with carlisle at the helm, monta balling out, blair coming to life down low, and everything running smoothly passing and ball movement wise, the mavs are a great overall team and are giving dirk just as much help as anybody.. it probably wont last though but who knows
    That has nothing to do with the talent level on the team.

Are you telling me you think the Mavs have a top 5 roster in the league?

I mean...for sure if it was prime Dirk..or even the Dirk of the last 2 games, but that he can't do it night in night out anymore. That is what makes him a lesser player...the 26/12/3 games on 50% shooting just come less frequently. So sure...if you hold Dirk to a prime superstar level standards...I could see this team being a top 5 roster in the league. Unfortunately that isn't the Dirk we run out there every night...if it was, we would have been the 2 seed not the 8th seed.

And man...I don't know about Duncan. He's an afterthought on offense and while he's played some good defense at the rim...Splitter has easily been their highest impact defender.

Really hard to compare the two...that isn't to say Duncan has been worse, but it's just hard to compare two guys playing completely different roles.

And it's not just Dirk's 18/8 a game or whatever he's at...it's what he does to a defense;

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/st...uardable-play/

That is a really good in depth article about what just having Dirk on the floor does to the opposing team. Now, unfortunately his impact is not what it once was and he's far easier to stop in some of those situations than he used to be, but the same basic problem exists and when you surround him with decent offensive players you are going to get pretty good results consistently.

I agree Ellis is playing well overall, but I don't know about balling out. He's been the 2nd thought of the Spurs and he's shooting alright across the board, but he's not creating many scoring plays for teammates either. His assists are down 3 per game so far in this series. But he is playing great at the end of games and I'd say he's been slightly our best player so far in this series because of that.

If anyone is "balling out" on our team it's Carter. He's been amazing.

Forget even looking at it from the Dirk perspective. From any perspective I don't see this Mavs team as a top 5 roster in the league. We have a terrible defensive backcourt and front court. Dirk struggles at times hugely on the pick and roll...and his backup (Wright) is even worse. Dalembert can't do anything on offense...and Blair is basically playing a midget at center.

Ugh...I don't know man...top 5 roster in the league that plays 22nd best defense in the league and is weak on the ball and in rim protection. Usually that is just not good enough regardless of how good the offense is.

I just don't think a top 5 roster is -1000 going into their first round series...against anyone.

And it's not about Dirk. I actually think he's played poorly overall...certainly until the last 2 games in my opinion. It's about the team...it's a team missing key pieces and it's honestly smoke and mirrors getting it done at this point. Spurs just haven't been able to get going.

I think these things are too up and down. If the Mavs come out and get murked tomorrow everyone will say...oh yea, but look at their roster...its' flawed. Conversely if they win...it will be...oh yea...they are a great team.

Just like the WB/Durant stuff...one minute they have a flawed roster and can't win...next thing you know they are blowing out a quality Memphis team on the road without even playing all that great in an elimination game.

If anyone deserves the most credit for what the Mavs have done so far it's Carlisle...he's easily been our most valuable asset in this series...like, it's not close.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-04-2014 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kkb_12
    As I said - talent wise they are top 5, but overall roster is around 10th place in the league due to the fact that they cannot keep up with younger teams.... It is roster with 3 hall of famers: Nowitzki, Carter and Calderon as international player.
    I don't know what that means...but sure

NBA Superstar

a healthy kobe. no question.

Quote Originally Posted by PhutureDynasty
    I'd say Melo even though he didn't make the playoffs at all this year. Especially since he plays in the huge market NYC.
    nobody cares about melo

Ish ROY 2014

This is who 'Bran teamed up with to win in a historically weak Eastern Conference:

You think he gives a **** about high standards?

NBA lottery pick

Spurs are better than they were last year and Mavs are doing as well as the Heat did in the finals vs. them (7 games).

Championship or bust for Dirk.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Choke year after year, such high standard for the servant

Probably CP3 and Melo right now. BG is just coming up, but he will be the 3rd next season.
    Last edited by LoneyROY7; 05-04-2014 at 03:27 AM.