Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I just got a complete list of wnba player salaries

for last season.

It was about what I expected. I calculated average salaries for 3 teams and all three were in the low/mid 50k

The highest paid wnba players made 93k last season

- Jeff

Not airballing my layups anymore RDavis31's Avatar

Default Re: I just got a complete list of wnba player salaries

okay.... you're not even going to post who it was?

Ya spill the beans, who are the big money winners. If I was taurasi, i'd try and get sasha vujacic's job.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat
    Ya spill the beans, who are the big money winners. If I was taurasi, i'd try and get sasha vujacic's job.
    :

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by insidehoops
    for last season.

It was about what I expected. I calculated average salaries for 3 teams and all three were in the low/mid 50k

- Jeff
    I think it's more than fair considering the entertainment value of the WNBA.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by insidehoops
    for last season.

- Jeff
    So what?

This thread is meaningless unless you disclose them. I clicked on this thread thinking this would have at least some information. A downright horrible thread.

Banned

they can't really pay them much more than that since the nba is only losing money on them. i remember reading an article saying that wnba was one of the biggest money losers in sports, along with the mls.

Banned

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/business..._business.html

Number 2
    Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA)
    Total loss: about $120 million

The WNBA has been around for more than 10 years, but it has never been able to stand on its own high-tops. Its chief financial backer and advocate is the NBA, which funnels about $12 million into the women's circuit each year. According to sports industry experts, this subsidy will always be necessary. Although WNBA games are televised, that exposure does not equate to riches.

"They simply cannot attract the eyeballs to watch the games on television," Marc S. Ganis, president of Chicago-based sports marketing firm SportsCorp Ltd., told the Washington Post.

The league started with eight teams; another eight entered; three clubs folded; two moved; one team was added -- dizzy yet? In 2002, the NBA changed the WNBA from a centrally operated league to one with individual franchises. Sheila Johnson, cofounder of Black Entertainment Television, bought the Washington Mystics in 2005 for $10 million and has since been feverishly trying to erase her team's annual $400,000 loss.

I rule the local playground and1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    So what?

This thread is meaningless unless you disclose them. I clicked on this thread thinking this would have at least some information. A downright horrible thread.

##

Bucks fan

If I had $10 mil, I'd buy a WNBA team. Not because it's a good business plan, but because it's the closest I'd ever get to owning a team. They need to exist in big cities that don't have other pro franchises. NY, Chicago, and LA are big enough to support as many franchises as you can dream up, but Detroit, Phoenix, Seatle, etc, I just don't see it happening. Draft regional college stars like the Charlotte Bobcats did, so that you start right off with a bit of a following.

Don't try to market yourself as being almost as good as the NBA - try to focus on areas where you are actually better. Is it a better team game? I don't know, I've only watched it once or twice. I bet there's no fighting though, so it's safe to take your kids.

Hi all. I wasn't trying to withhold info. When I said that the top salary appears to be 93K, it appears that generally almost all the good famous players who are also veterans, and a bunch who aren't, make that.

I didn't even read the entire list seeking out who makes what, because the ranges were all pretty close. THe lowest paid players were like 30something k, and the highest were 93k.

Diana Taurasi made $44,554 last season. I assume tha's because she's on a rookie contract.

Sue Bird got 93k, same with teamates betty lennox and lauren jackson and pretty much every known wnba star that anyone has heard of
    Last edited by insidehoops; 10-28-2007 at 12:29 PM.

I usually hit open layups Classic's Avatar

When the highlight of your league was the one time Lisa Leslie put in a weak dunk, you know your league is going to fold. I love women but watching them play sports when its not you paying $5 to a pta person is excruciating.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

It's peanuts compared to real sports, but getting paid 50k to play a game for a living...damn, I'd take it!

So is the complete list going to be posted or not?