Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: The ONE person with the biggest impact on history.

For me it's Einstein by a distance. General relativity changed the way humans understood gravity. The origins of life and big bang - while technically discovered from the cosmological redshift - are derived from the 1915 field equations.

Everything you understand about physics and cosmology is from Einstein.
    Lasers, photoionization and photoelectric effect were all pretty much popularised by Einstein.
    GPS is based on general relativity. So many things that you take for granted are based on one paper - a masterpiece of a paper written by Einstein from which all our understanding today comes from.

Lemaitre, Hubble, Heisenberg, Born, Bhor, and Paul Dirac all gained fame all made valuable contributions in the 20th century to our understanding of physics but the greatest genius of all was the man who failed mathematics - Einstein.

I've had this discussion time and time again with different people. I'm not sure it's possibly to overstate the influence he had on science, physics and cosmology. Most of our understanding of physics today so based on what he wrote.

Tesla

College star

two church people that have not been mentioned: Thomas and Augustine. Heavily influenced church dogma and thus how the most powerful institution in the world acted for centuries.

When it comes to natural scientists vs. philosophers, I would tend to give my vote to the philosophers who basically create ideas that have no direct correspondence in real life, whereas natural scientists "find" and prove theorems that are more removed from the person. It seems to me that the general progress of science would have come to the same conclusions as Newton, if only a few years or decades later.

I would give my vote to the trias of Plato/Aristotle/Sokrates as the protagonists of greek philosophy, which has endured millennia and provides the seminal discussion of morality.

there might be a lot of Christians but not many are actually living out what he was preaching.