Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112
    National High School Star

Default Re: I was watching Shaq ravage the 76ers in the 2001 finals and it forces me to ask.....

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Big men do not get the love that the Jordan, Kobe, LeBron's, Magic, and Bird's of the world do.

I think a lot of people assume just because they are big they do not have the same skill level as the one's mention above.

Look how Wilt, Russel and Kareem are never compared as much as LeBron or Kobe being the GOAT's over Jordan right now.
    LeBron and Kobe are playing now. Wilt, Russell, and Kareem aren't. Contemporary players are always going to get the most run in GOAT talks. That's just how it is. People watching the game now have no interest in players who played before they started watching basketball or were even born, and it's in the best interest of the league to promote that the league and its players are the best they've ever been right now, because they're the ones making money for them. Simple.

Default Re: I was watching Shaq ravage the 76ers in the 2001 finals and it forces me to ask.....

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    A lot of big guys would be taken, but that is generally how it is in most rankings anyway. The majority of people's rankings are top heavy with bigs. But even if we're talking about drafting... knowing how many of these guy's careers turned out, it's a pretty ridiculous thing to say that no player under 6-8 outside of Jordan and Barkley would be drafted in the top 25. That's untenable.
    I probably wouldn't take Barkley in the top 25 picks, but Jordan wouldn't be the only guy under 6-8. There are a few others, but a good 15-20 would be bigs for sure IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    2 different topics

yes..shaq got grabbed bumped hands slapped by help defenders

BUT....if team is playing him straight and Mutombo who is taller with longer arms and decent defensive instincts has established defensive position.....Shaq is not allowed to lower shoulder and knock him over

penalizing defensive effort

you can neutralize strength with good defensive technique, if the game is called fairly
    I disagree because if you're saying that then you're saying that physicality should not be allowed. Guys who were physical were the best rebounders, best post players. That's just how it is. The fact that other superstars in the NBA got touch fouls and Shaq never did is amazing.

As for Deke, I dunno man. I wasn't even a big man, but I learned pretty early you don't put your face up in elbow range like that. I don't think it's fair to be able to lean on someone in that way and not allow them to even turn. I was taught you have room to pivot with your elbows out.

-Smak

Not airballing my layups anymore boojitede's Avatar

Statefarmhoops.com

Not airballing my layups anymore boojitede's Avatar

to the shaq lovers i say this.

if he's the most dominant ever..why did he not start winning until he had to go through flabby and sick olajuwon, a 36 year old smits who retired that year, a 36 year old mutumbo, and todd mccullough?

never bought into that narrative of most dom ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boojitede
    to the shaq lovers i say this.

if he's the most dominant ever..why did he not start winning until he had to go through flabby and sick olajuwon, a 36 year old smits who retired that year, a 36 year old mutumbo, and todd mccullough?

never bought into that narrative of most dom ever.
    Dikembe Mutombo was 34 years old, and averaged 13.5 RPG and 3.1 BPG. Oh and he also won Defensive Player of the Year in 2001. If you can't get credit for dominating the defensive player of the year who can you get credit for owning? Shaq dominated the DPOY just as hard as he dominated the nobodies like Mccullough. It didn't matter who he had in front of him, he was going to dominate.

But nice attempt at revising history phagot

Shaq was a beast, nasty. But atleast acknowledge his offensive fouls (elbow clearouts). Man that pissed me off at how blatant those were for scores.

National High School Star funnystuff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    bosh dropped 30/15 and the gamewinner on the spurs without lebron.. lebrons ball dominance and inability to play off the ball makes his teammates worse.. plain and simple (unless youre a spotup 3 pt shooter then lebron makes you better)
    LOL, brings up regular season. Reeeeeeaccch.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Shaq was a beast, nasty. But atleast acknowledge his offensive fouls (elbow clearouts). Man that pissed me off at how blatant those were for scores.
    plenty of those Shaq lovers are simply overlooking how blatantly those offensive "bulldozing" moves were tolerated by the league back in those days Dude got hacked and grabbed by the guards, correct, but boy was he allowed to just plow over any defending center without any regard for his life or safety That was pretty comical to watch really.