Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does an offensive rebound extend a possession, or give you an extra possession?

As the title says, in your opinion, does an offensive rebound:

(a) extend the current possession
    (b) start a new possession

?

On the surface it may seem to be largely a matter of semantics, but so far I've gotten different answers and/or explanations from everybody I've asked.

Serious playground baller

Default Re: Does an offensive rebound extend a possession, or give you an extra possession?

depends what is done i guess, a putback would be an extension, when they pass it back out then it would be a fresh one i guess

Default Re: Does an offensive rebound extend a possession, or give you an extra possession?

extra imo, new shot clock after all

I'd say it's actually better than either, but it's closer to an extra possession.

Offensive rebounds, like steals, very often lead to an extra 2 points.

I personally have always thought of it as an extended possession. To call it an extra possession, in my opinion, is saying the defense is supposed to rebound every miss by the offense. Of course in the NBA and college where there is a shot clock, it can essentially give you an extra possession if you back the ball out and reset the offense.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

can't be a new possession.

The possession didn't change, since it stayed on the offensive end.

If the ball hits the rim, you get a new 24 secs.

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    I'd say it's actually better than either, but it's closer to an extra possession.

Offensive rebounds, like steals, very often lead to an extra 2 points.
    But couldn't you argue those "extra" two points after an offensive rebound are offset by not scoring on the previous shot attempt?

Then again, since offensive rebounds are more rare, getting one and scoring off of it, I can understand where it can be seen as an "extra" two points.

once the ball goes up, its fair game. Anyone can grab it. New possession . Extending a possession and starting a new possession are the same thing. Just wording it differently

Both, it extends the possession with a new possession (offensive rebound, new shotclock, unless its of a airball)

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey
    extra imo, new shot clock after all
    This

Not airballing my layups anymore Rican_Havok's Avatar

It depends how you define "possession." Is a possession the 24 seconds or less you have to score a basket? Or is a possession merely your team having the ball on offense? If it's the first definition, then an offensive rebound would result in an extra possession. If it's the second definition, then an offensive rebound extends a possession.

New possession, therefore extra possession. It doesn't extend the possession because by shooting the ball meant the previous possession is over.

Local High School Star

Ultimately "possessions" are a pointless stat to bother with in basketball unless you are analyzing how fast each team's pace is. Extra possessions as a result of offensive boards and +/- turnover differential will show up in the box score as extra shot attempts.

A better question would be what is an offensive rebound's relative worth in comparison to a steal, extra shot attempt, blocked shot, assist, etc. Since an offensive board usually results in a much higher than normal % extra shot attempt, I'd rank it just a shade under a steal in value.

It depends on the rebound. An offensive rebound can be a putback, a pass out or a tip. If it is a putback I would say it is an extension, if it is a pass out I would say it is a new possession, and if it is a tip it depends on who gains control or the tip. Big Z used to be great at the volleyball tip where he used to tip the ball 2-3 times before either making an easy layup, or the other team got the ball. That counts as 2-3 boards if they all hit the backboard, but was it really 2-3 extra/new possessions? I'd say no personally.

Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

For stats purposes it is a new possession. When calculating possessions per game offensive rebounds is a contributing stat