Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: I dont get why Deron Williams and Dwight Howard wont join the Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Whoever said that was wrong. Players are able to renegogiate contracts.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/73...ning-agreement
    my understanding of this is that the salary would be paid out over a longer period of time, but that it wouldnt impact the salary cap numbers? they get paid over more years, but dont actually play anymore seasons. seems weird, as they could end up getting paid by two contracts at the same time?

So actually, it would impact cap figures. but apparently it doesnt actually exist in the CBA. all media snafu

http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1145100.html

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    It's not impossible but not so easy.
    I think it would be fairly easy. He's still very productive and it's only a 2 year commitment. I'm sure someone would want him.

As for "slightly less than max", I'm sure either Howard or Williams wouldn't be greatly affected financially. If it's something they really wanted, I'm sure they would do it.

It's moot, he's going to the Lakers for Bynum and some package that gets rid of some of the sheet Orlando has acquired. May or may not include Gasol. But i really see that as what happens. Pre Lopez getting hurt, it seemed logical. Post Lopez getting hurt, it seemed inevitable. I know Net fans hate me when i say this but it's true, once that foot injury happened Lopez became a extremely devalued trade asset.

The only chance i see is if the owner is so delusional that he doesn't trade him, but i think the GM, others will convince him, plus i think pre deadline Howard pushes for a trade again which will make it happen. Him pushing for a trade is the worst thing for the Nets. If he really wants to go to BRooklyn only, all he needs to do is say "let's take care of this after the season".
    Last edited by niko; 02-15-2012 at 06:09 PM.

It's moot, he's going to the Lakers for Bynum and some package that gets rid of some of the sheet Orlando has acquired. May or may not include Gasol. But i really see that as what happens. Pre Lopez getting hurt, it seemed logical. Post Lopez getting hurt, it seemed inevitable. I know Net fans hate me when i say this but it's true, once that foot injury happened Lopez became a extremely devalued trade asset.

The only chance i see is if the owner is so delusional that he doesn't trade him, but i think the GM, others will convince him, plus i think pre deadline Howard pushes for a trade again which will make it happen. Him pushing for a trade is the worst thing for the Nets. If he really wants to go to BRooklyn only, all he needs to do is say "let's take care of this after the season".
    Everyone can call me an ego egotistical dumb ass but I honestly think that Dwight has said only Net's to the Orlando brass.

Quote Originally Posted by D12"Magic"
    Everyone can call me an ego egotistical dumb ass but I honestly think that Dwight has said only Net's to the Orlando brass.
    i dont disagree. But i think Nets don't have what they want, so IF (not when) they send him to LA, i think the Lakers being what they are and $30M overwhelms him. I think the thought that just because he says "i want Nets" so once they send him to LA he'll reject them and lose the extra money and go to Brooklyn though is a bit of a reach.

Quote Originally Posted by comerb
    He'll make that back in a year off advertising and jersey sales in a big market.
    Is he selling each jersey for $50,000?

i dont disagree. But i think Nets don't have what they want, so IF (not when) they send him to LA, i think the Lakers being what they are and $30M overwhelms him. I think the thought that just because he says "i want Nets" so once they send him to LA he'll reject them and lose the extra money and go to Brooklyn though is a bit of a reach.
    TBH I think this is just like the Melo situation like last year, he wanted the Knicks and he got them. I guess Deron is gonna stay with the Net's because he would not leave 30 Mill on the table right?

TBH I think this is just like the Melo situation like last year, he wanted the Knicks and he got them. I guess Deron is gonna stay with the Net's because he would not leave 30 Mill on the table right?
    I think he will if the nets put a reasonable team together. I do not think its Howard or bust. I never have.

I think he will if the nets put a reasonable team together. I do not think its Howard or bust. I never have.
    I know, but so many people are factoring money into this.
    If that's the case why won't Howard stay in Orlando?

I know, but so many people are factoring money into this.
    If that's the case why won't Howard stay in Orlando?
    I think Howard wants a bigger market. LA, NY. Where he can be a larger media star. Also, i think Orlando has boxed itself into a whole where they are not going to be good for a while. That combines to make it untenable.

I think the worst thing NJ can do is at that deadline, lose out and also do nothing. The only way i see Deron leaving is if NJ makes the team a place he would no longer want to be, if they are in full rebuild next year, if they rush a Lopez back and he gets hurt again too, if they go into next year with literally no roster. The Nets should pursure Howard, and if not unless they are 100% sure they can get him, they will be in a VERY strong position to poach some really good running mates for Deron if they want to.

Ultimately i think Howard goes to LA, and Deron stays because the Nets get him some nice running mates plus the high pick is coming next year.

I think Howard wants a bigger market. LA, NY. Where he can be a larger media star. Also, i think Orlando has boxed itself into a whole where they are not going to be good for a while. That combines to make it untenable.

I think the worst thing NJ can do is at that deadline, lose out and also do nothing. The only way i see Deron leaving is if NJ makes the team a place he would no longer want to be, if they are in full rebuild next year, if they rush a Lopez back and he gets hurt again too, if they go into next year with literally no roster. The Nets should pursure Howard, and if not unless they are 100% sure they can get him, they will be in a VERY strong position to poach some really good running mates for Deron if they want to.

Ultimately i think Howard goes to LA, and Deron stays because the Nets get him some nice running mates plus the high pick is coming next year.
    Well like I said, I believe Howard let his Orlando Brass know that it's Net's or nothing. Deron know's that, Billy King know's that and Orlando know's and at the deadline it's gonna come. I haven't been this confident, but some thing's made me change my mind.

Banned

Maybe they want to go to MIA?

DWill
    Wade
    LBJ
    Bosh
    D12

Well like I said, I believe Howard let his Orlando Brass know that it's Net's or nothing. Deron know's that, Billy King know's that and Orlando know's and at the deadline it's gonna come. I haven't been this confident, but some thing's made me change my mind.
    Just a gut feeling, or...?

Local High School Star

People keep mentioning $30 mil and not acknowledging that it includes an extra year. If Dwight wasn't going to get another (huge) contract after this one that would be an issue. But that isn't the case. There's a possibility that the earlier contract ending means his next contract comes before a drop-off and that he ends up with more money this way (not that this is probable, he probably gets another max either way). The point is the $30m figure is misleading.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    People keep mentioning $30 mil and not acknowledging that it includes an extra year. If Dwight wasn't going to get another (huge) contract after this one that would be an issue. But that isn't the case. There's a possibility that the earlier contract ending means his next contract comes before a drop-off and that he ends up with more money this way (not that this is probable, he probably gets another max either way). The point is the $30m figure is misleading.
    Also need to account for the fact that Texas does not have a state income tax, whereas in New York I believe it's around 7%? Which is a pretty big chunk of change when you're making millions.

Also cost of living in Texas is drastically less than in NY.