Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why do they call the five second back-to-basket rule the "Charles Barkley Rule"?

I never watched barkley play so I never really understood it

Default Re: Why do they call the five second back-to-basket rule the "Charles Barkley Rule"?

He would get the ball on a side pretty far from the basket and the other four teammates would be on the other side of the court. Rules back then meant you couldn't leave your man or it was illegal defense, so he'd just pound the ball, backing the guy down slowly, for like 15-20 seconds, then make a close hook shot or whatever.

Really boring to watch.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Why do they call the five second back-to-basket rule the "Charles Barkley Rule"?

When he was old on the Rockets and all he had left was his rebounding and one on one ability in the post he might get it at the 3 point line and just bully his way into the paint backing down for 10-12 seconds and score. It worked. But it was ugly.

Mark Jackson was probably worse. He might post up for 15 seconds...starting at halfcourt. But he didnt even really have a reason. HE wasnt always even trying to score. Just protect the ball.

Dude had a body built to play in the post. He could post up anyone. If he had a bigger body against him, he would use his superior face up game and make a bucket. If he had a smaller body against him, he would mash that big ass butt and pound away for as long as it takes to get to the bucket.

I've heard it referred to as the Mark Jackson rule as well (more prominently FWIW). He backed down opposing points for large chunks of the shot clock in his day.

Possessed by B-Ball Ancient Legend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I've heard it referred to as the Mark Jackson rule as well (more prominently FWIW). He backed down opposing points for large chunks of the shot clock in his day.
    That's because Mark Jackson backed opponents up from half-court

Is a dumb rule. It's like saying you can't dribble the ball for a certain amount of time. You should (especially since they changed illegal D) be able to post up as much as you want.

-Smak

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

they should remove that rule, now that you can double team

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Barkley got it from Dantley.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Rules back then meant you couldn't leave your man or it was illegal defense,
    No, illegal D was (when it was called) when you double-teamed a player without the ball from the weak side.

i thought it's the mark jackson rule?

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    Dude had a body built to play in the post. He could post up anyone. If he had a bigger body against him, he would use his superior face up game and make a bucket. If he had a smaller body against him, he would mash that big ass butt and pound away for as long as it takes to get to the bucket.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    No, illegal D was (when it was called) when you double-teamed a player without the ball from the weak side.
    This is what I recall too. You could double on the ball, but not a player off the ball.

I've been watching NBA basketball my entire life and I've never once heard the 5 sec back-to-the-basket rule be referred to as the "Charles Barkley rule." I have heard the "Mark Jackson rule," though.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Right, that's what I'm saying. Nobody is going to run across the entire court to double. That's too much time with four men with only three defenders. Easy cut for a basket.